• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor appreciation thread
10 10

748 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2021 at 5:10 PM, KirbyJack said:

It’s a thing, tho: lots of otherwise rational silver age collectors don’t seem to like Thor. I run into them regularly. The numbers, however, indicate that during the sixties, Thor was one of Marvel’s better selling titles.

I know I consider it second only to the Fantastic Four.

Yeah, I hear you but I don't get it.  Thor is easily top 3 among Silver Age Marvel books.  If you want to put Spidey and FF ahead of Thor, there's no shame in that ... but Avengers and TOS are a significant step down while DD, Strange Tales, TTA, and X-Men don't even come close.  (And I love all of those books.)

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 10/6/2021 at 3:46 AM, namisgr said:

Thor was always one of my favorite SA titles for storylines and art, so much so it was the first run of SA readers I put together in the 1970s when back issues were super cheap and condition wasn't an issue.  Later when I was able to focus on high grade books the title once again became a favorite.  I started this thread over 14 years ago now (where does the time go?) to show off my JIM Thor run at the time. The books are all gone, the high grade recirculated into the hobby and the original SA reader run given to my son when he was a teenager.

Two from the Pacific Coast and two the Northland pedigree.

Thor134PCsale.JPG.a25d596a35ed263dfe1a485f9b789335.JPG Thor129NLsale.thumb.jpg.1f2271d99e544a6a79f5476e946339b5.jpg

Thor136PCsale.thumb.jpg.8ecca0c5740d451c8e922c70d8a6f241.jpg Thor137NLsale.JPG.2d88543e7af77742bf602b489b0a0c8f.JPG

Those are fantastic copies!!!

On 10/5/2021 at 11:51 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yeah, I hear you but I don't get it.  Thor is easily top 3 among Silver Age Marvel books.  If you want to put Spidey and FF ahead of Thor, there's no shame in that ... but Avengers and TOS are a significant step down while DD, Strange Tales, TTA, and X-Men don't even come close.  (And I love all of those books.)

My ranking goes like this;

1. Fantastic Four

2. Thor/JIM 

3. Amazing Spider-Man

4. Ditko Doc in Strange Tales

5. Kirby Cap in TOS

I love the rest, too, but they just can't compete with these.

How many here have multiple copies of some old Thor books? Not talking about graded copies exactly (of which I have zero Thor related ones).

I know I have several while some holes in my early JIM run continue to bother me. Granted-- I'm not talking about nose bleed high grade copies either-- just decent complete readers to fill those holes as a completest.

I'm too dang cheap to pay up for the copies. I would imagine someone has come up with a way to do some horse trading over in the wanted to buy forum probably-- but it seems like not much ever happens over there.

Not sure- part of me is like "just let it go-- you have a ton of books that you already barely read anyway". Anyway-- hope I am not breaking any rules here. I just think that similar minds should try to find a method to help each other out.

Edited by 01TheDude