• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor appreciation thread
10 10

741 posts in this topic

JIM 113. The story line takes a big turn, as Thor reveals his secret identity to Jane. This is really the beginning of the end for their relationship.

Bought this book from Mark Barrera. The colors and whiteness are extraordinary.

JIM113-1.jpg

JIM 115. An important storyline that details how Loki came to be the nefarious God of Mischief, Prince of Evil.

Bought this book as one of 7 JIM/Thor raw books from Pacific Comic Exchange when the PC pedigree collection first became available for sale in May of '99. It was graded NM/M (90 - his top grade) by Roter, and most of the books in the collection with this grade became 9.6 or 9.8 slabbed copies. I had this one graded onsite at a Wizard Philly show, and it may have been a casualty of hurried grading.

The PC books I purchased raw constitute the single best deal in all my comic collecting. To highlight its magnitude, below the book is a copy of the bill of sale for the transaction. I paid $207 for the JIM 115, including the 15% commission. This purchase also included the PC copy of FF51, which was $80 and later became the first copy of the ish to be graded 9.6 by CGC.

JIM115.jpg

PCinvoice.jpg

JIM115.jpg

PCinvoice.jpg

I ask for provenance and you produce this ! Amazing stuff Bob. hail.gif

I can't believe the Thor #134 cost more than the J.I.M. #118 back then. I guess the High Evolutionary used to be someone. Having said that #134 is a tough issue above 9.2, and I would love to see your PC copy.

The greytone J.I.M.'s like #115 and #117 show cover discoloration so easily, but that #115 looks amazing. thumbsup2.gif

Bob you have horse shoes hidden somewhere. I want to gag when I look at that price sheet, what a steal. We are not worthy. hail.gif J.I.M's are easily some of Kirby's best work ever.

I used to check the PCEI website every 2-4 weeks, and the whole friggin' Thor run in JIM was available from the PC pedigree in that May of '99. Cheap dwit that I am, I capped my spending at $2200, and only bought 13 of the PC books (my other big purchase included the PC copy of FF12). I was too naive a collector to recognize the singular, spectacular nature of these books. Best deal and worst deal ever, all rolled into one... Christo_pull_hair.gif

I can't believe the Thor #134 cost more than the J.I.M. #118 back then. I guess the High Evolutionary used to be someone. Having said that #134 is a tough issue above 9.2, and I would love to see your PC copy.

Beltan, the different prices reflect the grades Roter assigned to the books. Besides the JIM 115, the JIM 122 and Thor 134 also were graded NM/M, whereas the JIM 117 was a NM+, the JIM 119 a NM, and the JIM 118 a NM-. Indeed, the 118 was graded 9.0 by CGC and I sold it to trade up for a nicer copy.

I'd be happy to post the Thor 134 PC copy, but it was overgraded by Roter, and only received a CGC 9.4 owing to a small scuff right along the spine.

JIM 117. Another Pacific Coast pedigree copy purchased raw when the collection first became available, this one for $125. What's weird is that the page quality was judged to be so different from the JIM 116, which was submitted by another owner and graded at a different time:

JIM117.jpg

JIM 118. The PC copy had an area of color loss from a spine scuff, and so did not grade as highly as its neighbor issues. I replaced it with the Northland copy, a beauty acquired from Brent at Quality Comix.

This ish sports a simple battle cover and introduced the Destroyer, who proved to be a worthy foe for the Thunder God:

JIM118.jpg

Namsgir, quick question here. With JIM #168 the orgin of Galactus, why is this issue so difficult to locate in grade?

Even the obvious great SA ped's like you've been showing seemed to miss this one. Any information as to how this one slipped through?

Namsgir, quick question here. With JIM #168 the orgin of Galactus, why is this issue so difficult to locate in grade?

Even the obvious great SA ped's like you've been showing seemed to miss this one. Any information as to how this one slipped through?

Nik and Arex are our resident experts regarding Thor 168, so I defer to them. It is, indeed, surprisingly difficult to find in high grade for a late Silver Age Marvel superhero book.

Nik and Arex are our resident experts regarding Thor 168, so I defer to them. It is, indeed, surprisingly difficult to find in high grade for a late Silver Age Marvel superhero book.

Ok, I'll wait for them to enlighten me. I definitely would like to add a copy to the collection, but thats obviously a pipe dream for a HG copy.

Even Captain_Tripps is missing the book from his run, and he's a big JIM/Thor fan.

Arex and I have flipped that book between each other at least 5 times now, kind of a gentlemen's agreement we have had since I first purchased it. crazy.gif Not sure why there are so few high grade copies, reminds me of like issue #183 which only has 1 or 2 copies in CGC 9.8 but issue #182 has something like 20+ in that grade. Must have something to do with production of the books because with such a great cover you figure they would have been hoarded in batches back in the day. Did you get a look at the 9.6 copy of #118 on Heritage, its spectacular.

JIM 119. Pacific Coast copy, purchased raw in May 1999 for $125. As the August 1965 issue, this is the first JIM to sport Marvel's new "Pop Art Productions" moniker. Apparently, the move was judged to confuse consumers, because it only lasted for 4 months. Vince Colletta had settled in for a long run as Jack's inker.

Hogan, Fandral and the voluminous Volstagg make their first appearance, and provide alot of muscular and psychological support for the Mighty One, as well as comic relief.

JIM119.jpg

JIM 120 sports stunning cover colors. It was acquired from Brent Moeshlin, who believes that the book is an unattributed Boston copy. Sure looks it:

JIM120.jpg

JIM 121 Boston copy. Another Pop Art Productions. Stan and Jack now figure that villains capable of approaching Thor's power should be very large. Nice absence of word balloons and hype boxes from the cover.

JIM121Boston-1.jpg

JIM 121 Boston copy. Another Pop Art Productions. Stan and Jack now figure that villains capable of approaching Thor's power should be very large. Nice absence of word balloons and hype boxes from the cover.

JIM121Boston-1.jpg

Beautiful, positively Beautiful!!

hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gifWhat a spetacular collection !!