• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver Age book would you invest in??

66 posts in this topic

I have been on these boards for a while now and I have seen so many people on here saying that this is not a good book to invest inn,either is this one or that one and 893blahblah.gif So! My questions is what IS a good book to invest in and it has to be silver age,Marvel or DC,It also has to be a book that exists and is somewhat attainable...Hulk 1 in 9.8 doesn't exist and a FF 1 in 9.6 is not attainable,But X-men 1 9.0 is...so let me know what you would invest your hard earned cash in what book to put away till retirement.No Golden Age Allowed,But Bronze and modern can be included too. Kevin

Nothing, if what I like goes up in value.. that'd be great. I don't think of comics as an investment unless I see a short term return, such as getting a book for a lower than normal BIN.

For the sake of the idea of the thread, I'd buy an FF 52 9.6 if I can find one and ASM Annual #1 9.4

Brian

Kevin I think this is a good topic for a thread. My investment pick would be Daredevil #7 in 9.2-9.4 There are hardly any copies out there and Daredevil is becoming a popular character thanks to the movie and Bendis. With a guide price of only $350 I think this book in high grade has room to move. And lets face it can't get much cooler than the first red Daredevil costume.

Hope this helps,

Ericc123

Nothing, if what I like goes up in value.. that'd be great. I don't think of comics as an investment unless I see a short term return, such as getting a book for a lower than normal BIN.

For the sake of the idea of the thread, I'd buy an FF 52 9.6 if I can find one and ASM Annual #1 9.4

Brian

so you only shelled out 17K for a ASM 1 9.0 just cause you like it? Not expecting some kind of return on your purchase?

Well I certainly don't hope to lose money. But I didn't purchase it saying "well this is going to make me a couple grand down the road". It's a necessary evil of completing the ASM run.

Btw, it was 17k plus around 3-4k worth of books.

Brian

Well I certainly don't hope to lose money. But I didn't purchase it saying "well this is going to make me a couple grand down the road". It's a necessary evil of completing the ASM run.

Btw, it was 17k plus around 3-4k worth of books.

Brian

ever think about using it to get a AF 15 9.0 instead?

i am of the mind that most silver is now a solid sort of slow moving appreciator. Most of whats going to fly already has. There are exceptions, but i think the break out hits have broken out. I think icon covers and villain covers in high grade will always sell above what similar issues would. I agree the FF #52 is good, i think Avengers #1 is a solid book thats still underappreciated, any goblin cover, especially #39, joker covers, i think a lot of JIMs are still undervalued, X-men #1 is a major book thats still affordable, FF#25 has really disappeared lately, people love the hulk crossovers & probably will for a long time.

Buy what u like & what u feel is under appreciated. My picks:

1. FF 1, 12

2. Showcase 4, 8, Flash 105

3. Showcase 34, Atom 1 smile.gif

4. Showcase 22, Gr Lantern Vol. 2 #1

5. Brave Bold 34, Hawkman 1

6. Brave Bold 28, JLA Vol. 1, #1

7. Space Adventures 33 Ditko (just to confound u) insane.gif

JIM 112 (When will this book get respect?)

Silver Surfer 4 (One of the greatest covers...ever)

FF 50 (Undervalued, IMO)

TTA 59, 60 (See JIM 112)

Avengers 1 (Nowhere to go but up)

ASM 1-50 (Keys, keys, keys, keys, keys...and more keys)

X-Men 4 (One of the biggest Silver keys, IMO)

Batman 105, 121, 155, 171, 189, 200 (gota love the cover of 189)

That should do it for now.

Let me know when you get all these, and I'll list more. grin.gif

*Edited - Changed X-Men from #3 to #4. My bad.

I don't understand how you guys can talk about $40,000 + books as good investment books. Yes they may go up in value but not very many people have that kind of money to spend on comics. There are a far greater number of people who can afford comic X in 9.4 that guides at $200 for $400. I think the key to investing in silver age comics is buying an issue that is undervalued that other people will want and letting time do it's work. I mean the $100-$500 comics are the ones selling for 5X guide now lets see if Willson's 9.4 AF #15 sells for 5X guide.

Ericc123

I don't understand how you guys can talk about $40,000 + books as good investment books. Yes they may go up in value but not very many people have that kind of money to spend on comics. There are a far greater number of people who can afford comic X in 9.4 that guides at $200 for $400. I think the key to investing in silver age comics is buying an issue that is undervalued that other people will want and letting time do it's work. I mean the $100-$500 comics are the ones selling for 5X guide now lets see if Willson's 9.4 AF #15 sells for 5X guide.

Ericc123

Cha ching!

We have a winnah!

acclaim.gif

I don't know what the best "investment" books are... but in the short term at least I really like the already mentioned Daredevil 7 in 9.4 or better and the JIM 112 in 9.4 or better. I think both these books have a lot of room for growth, and both are hard to find for sale in this grade CGC'd.

As for bronze books, and I know this has been discussed before, but I still feel Incredible Hulk 181 has room for growth especially if the X-Men movies continue in both popularity and quality. Wolvie is one of those characters with appeal with the younger audience, and I think more of my age group will seek to attain this book because it's a significant character they really like.

I like all the books you gents mentioned. Me, I'd like to hold Spidey # 14, X-Men # 1 and FF# 48. I also think there are some Bronze and Modern books which can appreciate by multiples over the next few years. I think there is a lot of upside to a book like Wolverine # 1 in 9.6 or better, and in Modern, I'd like to take my chances on a short term (couple of years) flip of Y The Last Man Standing in 9.8.

893blahblah.gif

Ben

Hi All: As far as Silver Age books I would buy anything that is hi grade and has Marvel on the cover, because everyone knows that is were the market is. cool.gif

As far as the Hulk 181, I am sorry but I just don't see the logic as far as investing in that book. I understand the supply and demand theory but take a look at the census. 51-9.6, 110- 9.4 and 150- 9.2. Collectors have known about that book for years and many have hoarded multiple copies. A few are released to the market over the course of a few months. How many have been sold by high profile dealers over the last year? There are plenty of them and at some point in time the supply will overide the demand.

Just my thoughts, sorry Hulk 181 fans.

Best, Tom