• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver Age book would you invest in??

66 posts in this topic

I can't afford, or don't want to buy just one 9.6 book... i prefer multiple 8.0s to 9.0s that can be had cheaply.

That says it all!!!!!

Hey, if we were talking about getting NM copies for $2.00 and VF copies for 50 cents, I would stick to NM (because I could afford a ton of these). But I would much rather have a nice COLLECTION of high-grade books, than 2 or 3 very high-grade books.

The really funny part is that a lot of times you can get a graded VF or VF+ copy for about what you are going to have to pay for a "raw" copy. And if it's not a very expensive book, that's one of those times where the person who submitted the book to CGC probably will be giving away the book for free (hoping to get their grading fee back).

Hi All: The X-Men 1 you are referring to that was sold by Pacific Comic Exchange early on in the days of CGC was a CGC 9.6 from the Pacific Coast Collection with OWTW pages. There was a second X-men 1 in the collection that graded 9.6 with Wht pgs. The 9.8 listed in the census was from the Curator Pedigree. I saw the books side by side, a very miniscule difference between the 2 books.

Best, Tom

Gentlemen....

What do you think about collecting books in 8.0 to 9.0? It seems many of you are after HG books, but some of us (ahem) can't step up to the plate in that fashion, so I am looking to collect some keys in the midrange 8.0 to 8.5 range. Obviously, these won't appreciate over time as much, but do you think there is a market for these books?

There is a thread about VF books on the Comic General Forum.

I am of the belief that VF to NM- books have the potential to increase in value at a higher percentage rate than NM books over the next ten years. To clarify, I am not talking about O/S guide price but in actual market value price.

My argument is simply that a lot of times, a CGC NM- book will go for half of what a CGC NM copy does. I think, all the premium has been factored into NM books, while that might not be the case for HIGH-GRADE books that are not NM.

And think of it this way.

1) Say you have a NM book that has three light stress lines.

2) Now the same book gets one more light stress line.

3) Now CGC gives that book a NM- grade instead.

Should the value of that book actually drop in half because of that ONE OTHER LIGHT STRESS LINE.

NO.

And prior to CGC, that wouldn't have been the case either. But because of CGC a focus has come on that difference between 9.2 and 9.4 which I believe will become less of a factor over the next decade.

Hey, I could be Wrong.

I don't think your wrong. 1st rule of investing, is buy cheap (which is what VF's are now). Worst thing you can do is buy high ( which is what many "investors" have been doing with NM's the last few years). VF's as a result to a certain degree have been forgotten but will come back. Those hi-priced NM's aren't going anywhere for a few years - so what's left for the collector?