• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check Out Who Won This ASM # 14 Auction

105 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2187293732&category=75&rd=1

Comic-Keys won the auction for the nice looking, least expensive 8.5 ASM # 14 book. How long do you think it will take for him to put it up for bid, taken out of the CGC case, and listed as a 9.2?

Ahhh, I should have just hit the BIN for that book...that was a pretty book. But, there'll be another opportunity eventually.

Ben

893frustrated.gif

Hey, ninanina, you were asking where all the VFs have gone.....?

This book will soon be a lustery NM, with deep color strike that bleeds from the book, razor sharp corners, and brilliant eye appeal, sold to one lucky bidder in a private auction. tongue.gif

Looks like you shouldn't have hesitated on the BIN. He who hesitates (or is a chicken- 893censored-thumb.gif trying to lift his leg high enough to 893censored-thumb.gif with the big dogs) is lost!!!

Let's see now. So if he wins a restored book, that's no good (the Showcase 4 that you all were up in arms about last week), and if he wins a CGC UN-restored book (the #14), that's no good either.

Did you notice the raw Spiderman 10 in NM that he won last week as well? Couldn't have been a NM, right? Because it wasn't CGC, you say? Was that win any good? No? I thought so.

When you have a massive 893censored-thumb.gif-on for somebody, I guess they just can't do any right, eh? Poor Forum members!! So many troubled heads over so little! How I envy you. Where do a bunch of washer women get so much time on their hands to worry themselves to death so?

Looks like you shouldn't have hesitated on the BIN. He who hesitates (or is a chicken- 893censored-thumb.gif trying to lift his leg high enough to 893censored-thumb.gif with the big dogs) is lost!!!

Let's see now. So if he wins a restored book, that's no good (the Showcase 4 that you all were up in arms about last week), and if he wins a CGC UN-restored book (the #14), that's no good either.

Did you notice the raw Spiderman 10 in NM that he won last week as well? Couldn't have been a NM, right? Because it wasn't CGC, you say? Was that win any good? No? I thought so.

When you have a massive 893censored-thumb.gif-on for somebody, I guess they just can't do any right, eh? Poor Forum members!! So many troubled heads over so little! How I envy you. Where do a bunch of washer women get so much time on their hands to worry themselves to death so?

So are you the self-appointed defender of liars, overgraders and cheats on this board? lol. Sorry, I'm just a new guy. BTW, if running with the big dogs means running with guys like you (which I'm sure it doesn't) then I'll take a pass, thanks.

juding from the comments about comic keys,i am assuming he does this regularally?i just bought a book from him,and he was very nice.he offered me time payments and a full refund if i get the book and i dont like it.although his description sounded JUST like the comments you guys made,i hope he is legit.

Hey, ninanina, you were asking where all the VFs have gone.....?

This book will soon be a lustery NM, with deep color strike that bleeds from the book, razor sharp corners, and brilliant eye appeal, sold to one lucky bidder in a private auction. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif Okay, that accounts for one book, but what does comickeys want with a book that isn't restored confused.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, he may just want to get the few defects this comic does have fixed, and then sell it as a 9.4. I just can't see him not doing something to this book before he sells it.

(Let's watch) grin.gif

It'll have to be restored first, then sold as a 9.6 unslabbed. Anyone who defends this hoe should be slapped, nice catch Brian, make sure everyone knows when its re-listed to prove your point.

People will still defend him and say 'it may be a different copy', but we know the truth. And it wouldnt surprise me if he had 'personal links' with his defenders on this board!

Nice words Nina!

juding from the comments about comic keys,i am assuming he does this regularally?i just bought a book from him,and he was very nice.he offered me time payments and a full refund if i get the book and i dont like it.although his description sounded JUST like the comments you guys made,i hope he is legit.

I have never bought a book from comic-keys.

If you do a search for comic-keys you will find a lot information.

Also, I am now under the impression that Mr. Nice is the former "Hammer" who was banned from this board (notice the July registration date) and I believe is "Comic-Keys".

Regarding Comic-Keys

1) He has been known to sell restored books in the past (which is not a crime and almost any dealer has done this on purpose or accident in the past).

2) He has Private-Feedback. Not sure why, but you have no way of knowing how much of his feedback is due to buying (who really cares) and selling (the important part). Also, say he sent one buyer five books and they all came restored and the person negged him five times, it would only be counted as one neg. But, wouldn't you want to know that he sent five Restored books, I would.

3) He has Private-Auctions. He will explain why. But, because of this, there is NO WAY for you to know if he is SHILLING an auction. He could be bidding against you with a zero feedback buyer, just trying to get the price up. Plus, if there was a person who had bought this book before and returned it because it was RESTORED, then that person COULD NOT, warn the high bidder (because he can't tell who the high bidder is).

Once again, I have not bought from Comic-Keys but because of the way he runs his auction, I will not.

i am gonna be PI$$ED if this book comes back restored,ot lesser of a grade.i already sent him 25%,and will be paying for the next 90 days on it.can anyone see any problems with it offhand?i told him in an email that i will be sending it to cgc to be graded,thats the only reason i paid so much for it,because he defended the grade.he did offer me a full refund as i stated,but i dont know what to do now.i have been told by a few forumites to end the transaction now,but dont want to be negged in teh process.i really want a HG copy of this book,i hope i am not getting screwed.

This question has come up OVER and OVER and OVER again in these forums...you might want to do some searching through old posts.

Comic-keys won't tell you who his customers are, but out of the 15 or so people I've come in contact with who have bought books from him, all of them got restored grades back from CGC. I've only met two people who have received universal grades from him, and of those, one of them resubmitted to get a restored grade and the other received one universal along with five restored books.

Nobody knows whether he restores ALL of his books, but based upon the known statistics, your chances aren't good. If comic-keys would like to share the names of his customers who have had better experiences, we'd all be interested in hearing from them. Most of the people who have received restored books would most likely talk with you if you're interested...at least half a dozen of them are forum members here.

Looking at the scan

1) The book is mis-cut. It appears wider at the bottom than the top. While this can happen, it is also possible that its been trimmed. Notice how you can see the pages at the top. Normally if the book is mis-cut, the page are fairly flush where the book gets smaller (unless of course the cover is trimmed only, in other words restored).

2) Good luck determining if a books been cleaned and pressed. Whenever I see an absolute white appearance to a book (i.e. in the Title) and the book is not CGC'd, I would suspect possible cleaning. By no means is this correct everytime, but many books have a little bit of aging / yellowing to the book.

I would be very interested to know what type of restoration Comic-Keys normal performs?

Good Luck.

I would be very interested to know what type of restoration Comic-Keys normal performs?

When the people I've talked with have described the restoration found on the books they submitted, it has always been the same...trimming and/or slight color touch. Clearly, on all of the books that were restored, they were already at the low end of the "high grade" or the high end of the "mid grade" spectrum before the work had been done to them.

From looking at the image of the #40 and comparison to other #40s that appear currently on Ebay, and yes...even CGCed copies, this #40 is at least as wide, if not wider than all others I've accessed by noting the position of the art at the spine, and where the book ends on the right side. A top to bottom comparison also yields a height of over 10 and 1/4 inches (huge) by extropolating measurement against other examples (I have a CGC 8.0 that is exactly 10 and 1/4 inches and this book shows more artwork on the top and bottom than it).

Another genius Forumite that can determine trim by looking at images!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess that this is just the same kind of scare tactics purveyed on raw books that enabled the lucky 893censored-thumb.gif to pick up a flawless, raw, Spiderman 10 on Ebay for about $1100!!! What if it's as good as it looked in the images. In that case, he picked up a $10,000 book for pennies on the dollar due to the "if it's not CGCed, something has to be wrong with it" mentality. Too bad I didn't see that #10 in time!!

Too white in the white areas??? Gee whiz. How do you suppose he managed to lighten the whites and leave all the rest of the colors, the yellows included, so deep.

I've never heard of him going to the trouble of cleaning and pressing...although if he's really Dupcak he can definitely do it since Dupcak used to offer restoration services professionally. Comic-keys used to talk in these forums about manipulating the colors of digital images using Photoshop, so it's possible they look so white due to digital enhancement.

The book is NOT miscut. That is how books are supposed to appear. The pages stick out (on the right-hand edge) at the top and NOT at the bottom. It's an artefact of the binding process, and in fact, if you do NOT see this, that's more a sign of trimming.