• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which SA key would command the most $?

22 posts in this topic

If the game is "only one copy" you might as well introduce everything from Action 1 to Spawn 1 into the mix and see what people come up with.

But if you did this wouldn't Action Comics 1 always be on top?

Ahhhh..... the popularity of AF 15 vs the supply (lack thereof) of Showcase 4 and FF 1....

One copy makes the game too tough..... all it takes is two people willing to go crazy battling it out for one of these books to skew the result.

Why?

Action 1 is on top because it's the most important comic of all time AND because it's difficult to find, especially in high grade. If there were only one copy of all of these books, one of the most important reasons why it's the most expensive disappears (especially when compared to something like AF 15 or Hulk 181- two incredibly popular books that are a lot more common than Action 1.) At that point it just becomes a question of which book has the two richest fans. Does the history of Action 1 introducing the first super-hero trump the desire of Spider-fans to own good ol' Peter Parker's first appearance? Or are there two multi-millionaire Hulk fans out there who will fight it out to the bloody end to own the only Incredible Hulk #1?

Imagine for a minute that there is only one copy of Hero For Hire #1 and some millionaire OTHER than Nic Cage wanted it. Boom- you've got a million dollar book.

Basically it's an unanswerable question (how am I to know which book has the two richest, most dedicated fans) that is only good for spurring mindless speculation. Since that's the case you might as well open it up to all sorts of flights of fancy.

If you're talking about only one copy of each of those Silver Age books, I'd have to go AF 15...aren't Showcase 4 and Action 1 Golden Age books? If we're including all books then Action 1 is the obvious choice...there has to be one somewhere hiding in someone's cedar chest in the basement.

If you're talking about only one copy of each of those Silver Age books, I'd have to go AF 15...aren't Showcase 4 and Action 1 Golden Age books? If we're including all books then Action 1 is the obvious choice...there has to be one somewhere hiding in someone's cedar chest in the basement.

The Silver Age begins with Showcase 4.

Very good, G-Man. The first three should read:

Show 4

FF 1

AF 15

and I do think that a Brave & Bold 28 should be of higher value than an Avengers 1

but in reality, according to what people are actually willing to pay, the actual top 10 would probably be more like the following:

AF 15

Amazing Spiderman 1

FF 1

Show 4 (if someone will pay $500,000+ for a DC SIlver age book

Hulk 1

X-Men 1

JIM 83

TOS 39

DD 1

Avengers 1 / Brave and Bold 28

I would much rather have a perfect copy of FF 1 than AF 15

Why? If there was only ONE copy of each book, then AF 15 is the clear winner. Spider-Man is a much more important character than the Fantastic Four and a cultural icon to boot. grin.gifmakepoint.gif

Why? If there was only ONE copy of each book, then AF 15 is the clear winner. Spider-Man is a much more important character than the Fantastic Four and a cultural icon to boot. grin.gifmakepoint.gif

I've got to agree. If there were only one 10.0 of each out there, then the book would be mega-rare all by itself, so the relative scarcity of the other lower-graded copies would have a greatly diminished effect. The books with the largest number of rich fans would drive the price up most...and the one on that list in the greatest demand is Amazing Fantasy 15.

I've got to agree. If there were only one 10.0 of each out there, then the book would be mega-rare all by itself, so the relative scarcity of the other lower-graded copies would have a greatly diminished effect. The books with the largest number of rich fans would drive the price up most...and the one on that list in the greatest demand is Amazing Fantasy 15.

Spidey Zombies...... confused-smiley-013.gif

Under the rules of their only being one in existance of each book it becomes a popularity contest and AF 15 wins. But in real world terms I think that both Show 4 and FF 1 would command higher prices in 9.4 and up because there are way fewer of those books in that grade around. In the real world relative scarcity is a factor not just the popularity of the character.

Definetly.

I've personally only seen one FF #1 CGC 9.4 offered on the open market, and it brought in close to $120,000.

If I had the choice between a Showcase #4, FF #1, and AF #15 in 9.4, I would take the FF. I consider it the beginning of the Marvel age, and I think it's just as significant to Marvel as AF #15 is.

We've had the significance debate before, and I still contend that FF was the most important S.A title, more so than ASM. And even though I'm a huge ASM fan, #1 is probably THE most overrated/overpriced book of all time. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

As to the original question, I agree it would be AF #15.