• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which SA key would command the most $?

22 posts in this topic

the way the question was posed, this is a popularity contest. So, as of today, amidst the Spidey hype and between hit movies, AF 15 is number one. In 5 years, however, it very well may NOT be #1. Could be FF; Hulk is probably out of the running for quite awhile. B&B 28 has possibility, but its just a "team book" an dnot a first of anything really. Showcase 4 is a very important book, but Im very surprised so many of you picked it. But it was super hot years ago, and may be have a comeback. ASM will always have to be at best #2 by definition.

The wild card is the BSD factor. The question supposes that the winning book will sell for 10s of 1000s of $$$s and that skews the contest to the rich "non-comics collectors" and places undue emphasis on movie awareness etc. I think if left to just comics collectors, the answer as to "most important" comic would not be the same as which book would sell for the most money.

Im getting a headache thinking about this.

The BSD's seem to favor Marvel. And as far as Marvel goes..it's a Spiderman World. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif about it! Aside from movie ads, when you're in toy stores, dept. stores, see billboards, etc. for Marvel in general...90% of the time... who's pictured as Marvel's "avatar"?

Here's what I think. If someone is going to pay a supremely obscene price, way beyond what anyone in "the hobby" has paid thusfar for a super-sharp Silver age comic, they're going to be coming from OUTSIDE the hobby and have money, far beyond your usual BSDs to play with.

I'm talking a million, 2 million, 3 million, etc. (What? Couldn't happen. How about that McGwire baseball that a Comic artist won for $3,000,000!!!!!!! That was about 2.9 million dollars more than anyone else had ever paid for any baseball in the history of sports auctions!!).

Someone with a networth of $100,000,000+ could very well get the urge to own either the sharpest FF1, AF 15, or Showcase 4 in existance, and which do YOU think they're going to choose? Showcase 4 for its rarity?? FF1 because it's the first superhero Marvel and started the show? Or AF15?

They're going to want the first Spiderman. The definitive and most popular Marvel character, and I doubt that any seller of the highest grade AF15 in the universe is going to try to talk someone with a suitcase with 3Mil out of buying their AF15 because he feels that Show 4 is a better investment due to its greater scarcity!