• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

resub an old label or not?

regrading red label cgc comics  

237 members have voted

1. 1. regrading red label cgc comics

42 posts in this topic

I know that everybody grades differently but resubmitting stuff to see if you can get a better grade seems messed up to me. I thought the whole point to grading was to cut down on this problem by providing a "universal standard". IMO, you should not be able to get different grades on the same book by the same grader. Since this seems to be the case, the only thing you're paying for is protecting the book by slabbing it. I can't trust that. I don't have a problem with you resubbing books, just that the service is not standardized enough to be reliable. Can you really trust the grade?

I know that everybody grades differently but resubmitting stuff to see if you can get a better grade seems messed up to me. I thought the whole point to grading was to cut down on this problem by providing a "universal standard".

Yeah, but grading is not an exact science.

Also, grading standards when CGC first started up seemed to be stricter than they are now. Therefore, an "old label" book resubbed might get a higher grade now.

I'm thinking about doing it with one book.

Also, grading standards when CGC first started up seemed to be stricter than they are now. Therefore, an "old label" book resubbed might get a higher grade now.

Tougher standards decrease the chances of fraud. And I do know of a situation but I can't discuss it without the permission of those involved. Let's just say, I'd keep the more legit grade.

it's weird though, because i know that with the red modern labels cgc was fairly strict, but i somehow got a copy of the darkness #11 chromium cover in a 9.8 with a pretty big crease on the spine. even if i resubmit it i think it would get a 9.4-9.6.

I have about 120 old label books in my collection, and haven't resubmitted any yet. I guess I like the idea of keeping the old label (less stigma when it comes to pressing).

I love the old blue labels. I had a few slabs w/cracks and resubmitted for new cases - I specifically asked them not to change out the old labels but CGC replaced them with the new ones. frown.gif

What's the reasoning for the mandatory change out?

However, I am not crazy about the old red 'Modern' labels especially when they are on Bronze and Copper age books, but I don't think I'm going to spend the time and money just to swap it out.

I've heard that the books w/ the old labels were graded on a stricter scale, I don't think this is true. So as far as cracking these open and resubmitting for higher grades - I don't think its a good gamble.

Need to change microchamber paper every so often too - 10 years???

CAL hi.gif

Supposely it needs to be changed every 7 years or so, according to CGC. But it would help their cause more if they would actually put the date graded on the label. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't like the old red lables. I think they detract from the overall appearance of a nice blue labeled run. When no blue lables are available and I am forced to buy red, I always send them in to be recased. I would rather spend $11.00 and know what I am getting, instead of spending $15.00 for a regrade and hoping for the best.

Upon inspection if I believe the book can be graded higher than I will re-submit it. That is the only way I would resubmit an old label.

What kind of luck have you had re-submitting comics. confused-smiley-013.gif It does appear that some red lables are under graded, but I always assumed that they had hidden flaws that couldn't be seen inside the case. If these comics are regularly being upgaded, I will have to reconsider my practice.

Yes in some cases books with the old label were graded much stricter than with the new label but with the old inner well many books have got damaged and will grade lower due to post slab damage. You will have to inspect the comic yourself and see if you think the book is higher than the grade given or not.

I`m going to resub my spider-man #300 9.6,batman #404 9.6,incredible hulk #340 9.6 and macross #1 9.6 all slabed together with the early blue label.

I do think they all should have graded 9.8`s but i`m not resubing for that.

I just want to make sure they have the best posible protection because they were all bought by me at geophrey`s comics back when i attended el camino college.

I`m sentimental towards all my geophrey`s comics buys and these were some key books from that time so i just want to keep them in the best shape posible. :blahblah::hi:

well I think if you just re-holder, the grade is supose to stay the same (shrug)

I did an actual resub where I cracked the holder and sent in the book without the label. This was on two expensive books and the value on the resub was quite a bit less, fortunately, I was able to do another resub and get the higher grade back both times. But, I had to wait and pay the additional grading fees just to get back to where I started. Also the stress of losing the grade was not good.