• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What non key Marvels go for the highest over book in VF/NM?

27 posts in this topic

I would say that ASM's are still the best for non-keys going over guide. Also, the mid-range FF's (Cosmic stories) are usually priced at guide or over.

I defy anyone to find an FF#60 in VF/NM or better (and not yellowed) for guide! And if you do, I'll pay you juice!

Chris

What non major key Marvels would you say go for the highest percentage over book in VF/NM?

30 and 35 cent variants. I'll pay anybody here 50 times Guide for a NM Kid Colt 209 30 cent variant.

JIM as a group far and away goes for the highest multiples of guide in CGC VF/NM or better.

X-Men far and away goes for the least multiple of guide (in many cases they actually go for below guide in VF/NM).

Amazing Spider-Man is actually the second lowest multiple of guide (of the Silver-Age Marvel titles) in VF/NM (probably because there a huge supply). In NM though, ASM goes for around 350% of guide which is in line for most of the other titles.

And yes, I do have Excel Spreadsheets to back up my information.

Journey Into Mystery #84, #85, and #89 are not considered keys?

You should have nabbed that 9.0 on PGCmint when you had the chance. Sure it was expensive, but try and find another. Even in VF, that book's impossible.

I love the cover to 109 (and many others in the JIM run), but agree it is not a key book. The 84 is also not a key, but is freakin' scarce and the 2nd Thor is probably worth a little something to Thor/Kirby fans. I coddle my copy as if it's always near an open flame...

I also agree that early FF's do the trick (7, 8, 16, 17, 18 in particular?), as might a few tough early Marvels like Avengers #9, X-Men #11, Spider-Man #11, and Strange Tales #107. Some of these introduce minor characters but I'd have a hard time saying they were keys.

How about DC books?

Dan

What non major key Marvels would you say go for the highest percentage over book in VF/NM?

30 and 35 cent variants. I'll pay anybody here 50 times Guide for a NM Kid Colt 209 30 cent variant.

Um...NM= $900.00 ? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Lord-a-Mighty...gotta put that one on my "must find" list... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-Joe

Um...NM= $900.00 ? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Lord-a-Mighty...gotta put that one on my "must find" list... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-Joe

Good luck. I've had a standing offer of 50X guide for a NM Weird Wonder Tales 15 for 5 years. My Kid Colt 209 30 cent variant is a CGC 8.0 and is the best one I've ever seen. Wait, let me amend that. Its the ONLY one I've ever seen.

IMHO non-key DCs: Bat 222? Beatles cover NM or 1st Ras Al Ghul 893applaud-thumb.gifwould fetch over OS condition guide.

Good choices, though I think the first Ras (#232) might now be fairly valued in Overstreet. The other one mentioned frequently on these boards is #227, Adams' homage to Detective #31.

gossip.gif A couple of sleepers (and also classic Adams covers) might be Detective #411 (first Talia, not highlighted as such in the guide), and Batman #241, a book I had a really hard time finding recently in VF or better. (But #240 is everywhere, go figure.) Also check out the 52-page Giant issues of World's Finest (#204-212) for Adams covers, a good selection of reprints, and low prices.

Since when is JIM 109 a key? Magneto apperance...big deal! That's not a key book

It's certainly not a major key. Having said that I think there is an argument for it being a minor one.

It is not just a 'Magneto appearance', but the 1st appearance outside of the X-Men of a major Marvel villain. This means that many collectors want the book who would not normally be interested in Journey Into Mystery, hence a 'key-like' demand for the book..

It is similar in my view to other early X-Men crossovers by Angel and Iceman in TOS #49 & STT #120, both of these books are considered by most collectors to be minor keys.