• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you a completist????

Are you a completist????  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a completist????

144 posts in this topic

Over the last few years I have become one of thise people who likes to work towards collecting full sets of evrything a publisher puts out. I have been working on Crossgen, Speakeasy, Pacific, TSR, Defiant and others.

Only one I have completed is Kandora who published all of 3 comics.

Earl.

I am DEFINITELY a completist. I now have full runs of about 100 different Marvel and DC Silver, Bronze and Modern Age titles and am still working on completing about 15-20 more runs. The amazing thing about all of this is that I didn't own one stinkin' comic book in December of 2001. I discovered eBay then, caught the bug and haven't been able to stop since. smile.gif

shark2557

id go with beatles over stones, but neither, an obscure to north americans band from wales called manic street preachers. every cd they put out is in numerous formats, plus promo's, live bootlegs, equals 216 so far

The amazing thing about all of this is that I didn't own one stinkin' comic book in December of 2001. I discovered eBay then, caught the bug and haven't been able to stop since. smile.gif

Same here. hi.gif (March, 2001)

I used to be a completist, but after selling two collections and seeing how hard it is to move all non-key issues for a decent price I will never do it again. Now I am just focusing on key and high demand issues (e.g. Neal Adams Batmans) and buying multiples of them. At least this way if I need to sell them to raise cash quickly I can do it. If you want to complete a run, just buy the TPB/HC reprints to fill in the gaps.

I used to be a completist, but after selling two collections and seeing how hard it is to move all non-key issues for a decent price I will never do it again. Now I am just focusing on key and high demand issues (e.g. Neal Adams Batmans) and buying multiples of them. At least this way if I need to sell them to raise cash quickly I can do it. If you want to complete a run, just buy the TPB/HC reprints to fill in the gaps.

I'll agree that the non-key and low grade issues will be more difficult to unload later on, but I don't see me buying any reprints to "fill in" a run. If you don't have the originals then you don't have a run. I've often thought about doing just what you're doing (buying key/high demand/high grade issues only) and may someday do that. But I'm so close in completing all of these runs that I hate to stop now. grin.gif

shark2557

Now I am just focusing on key and high demand issues (e.g. Neal Adams Batmans) and buying multiples of them. At least this way if I need to sell them to raise cash quickly I can do it. If you want to complete a run, just buy the TPB/HC reprints to fill in the gaps.

Sounds like you are collecting with the intention of selling them again one day..which is kinda sad as it takes the fun out of it...

The day my collecting choices are determined with the amount of money I would get for them if I were to sell, is the day I stop collecting confused-smiley-013.gif

I never thought I would be a completionist, as I typically liked to pick up key issues, first appearances and all of that- not for resale purposes, but just for the "how cool is that" factor. This was interspersed with the occasional storyline, but that was about it.

When I got back into collecting, I picked up where I left off, but ran into a problem-- key issues are rarely every stand alone comics. Since reading my comics is absolutely essential for me, I found I needed to get the issues surrounding my keys. Of course, I don't do this with all of my comics; I still go after a number of single key issues w/o snagging any of the other issues in the series. But my Amazing Spider-Man or Uncanny X-Men, for example, have turned themselves into a pursuit of runs instead of keys. And I'm finding that this has only served to broaden the number of ways I can find enjoyment out of this hobby.

I'm a sick completionist. Doesn't matter the title, I have to have the full run. That's why, lately, I've been selling books from those that I don't intend to complete. Felt good to get rid of them (though a tough decision originally), as it re-focused my collection and made it feel "tighter".

When selling to some local folks, I'm finding that there are more completionists than I originally thought existed. The good part is when you find someone who has similar tastes & is a relatively new completionist. Just found an individual with a similar Daredevil Silver Age taste, so it has been good for both of us.

Pat

Definite completist here. While a 9.6 Silver Age book is a beautiful sight to behold, there's something just as captivating to me in rows and rows of the same title where the numbers just keep adding by 1 -- and lots more good reading besides.

I'm not such a completist that I need to have every single issue of a title, otherwise, like Chromium, I'd never pick up an Action or Detective. (Of course, I have it in the back of my mind that I *will* own full runs of those titles someday...the odds are beyond astronomical, but as pipe dreams go, it's a pretty harmless one to cherish.) I'm happy with long unbroken strings, especially of titles that stretch back into the GA.

Can I tell you, completism is a disease all its own? I sympathize with collectors who spend years hunting that one rare gem in the grade they've set as a goal...but we completists have it just as 'rough', because there's *always* another series to start. In my case, I consider that your collective fault, as three things have happened since I joined these boards:

1. I've gotten lots more keyed up about comic collecting in general - bound to happen when you're part of a community of interests, not thinking that no one else cares.

2. I've gotten a better appreciation for the pure aesthetics of nice copies - can't afford to be an HG snob, but I've started to look out more for, say, VG/F copies with nice colors than I used to.

3. I've been introduced to titles and genres I never thought I would care about. Reading the SA and BA war comics threads here, for example, really makes me want to try a title or two...and if I like it I won't be able to stop.

I'm *so* far away in terms of numbers for series I've started to appreciate (Strange Adventures, for instance), and in terms of affordability for others (FF and X-Men, now that I'm back to 1964 or so in both cases). And forget about all those pre-hero (and a few other) B&Bs I still need to collect that whole series! #1-200, such a nice round set, isn't it? And it was the title that started my collection...

Every now and then, you just realize that it's a long way up that mountain and the snow keeps piling on top. That's why you just take it an issue at a time, a deal here, a bargain there, and every few years, look back on what you've done. And what a use for good old-fashioned (cockeyed?) optimism....one day I'll start my software company, rake in the IPO cash, and look out Ian Levine!

Started as a completionist but after 20 years have become a key and cover hunter

Me too.

i'm a pathetic completionist probably in need of a twelve-step program. examples: since my timely/atlas superhero collection needed the two men's adventures and five young men, i found myself not only compelled to get the entire runs of both titles, but even the predecessors, "cowboy romances" and "true western/true adventures." the one ideal book with the witness in it? i had to get the other 4 ideals, even the last one which is a romance book. you say venus 11-19 are semi-superhero? gotta have the first 10, too. know why all winners is missing a 20? cuz it was "all teen 20"--HAD to get one. marvel tales took over from marvel mystery, and you say one of them has a sun girl appearance? hell, that's only another 66 i need.

but i'm having fun growing the collection while i simultaneously shrink the bank account.