• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check this out STRANGE TALES #97 out of wack ON EBAY

62 posts in this topic

Talk about out of this world pricing. This was originally up and was withdrawn by the seller because he said his reserve was wrong. confused.gif Then he reposts it like it's the next coming. Granted this is one of the keys to the early Spider-Man mythos, and granted that double covers are "rare" up $5K... ouch.... is it worth it.. maybe CGCed it might be that inside cover may be the best for this book ever seen. 893applaud-thumb.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=76&item=2188309485

WOW..... 27_laughing.gif

WEBHEAD

I just checked the census for this book and I guess that even if it wasn't a double cover it would be the hightest graded book.

http://www.cgccomics.com/poplookup/grades_standard.asp?title=Strange+Tales+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&issue=97+++++&publisher=Marvel+Comics++++++++++++&year=1962

love the cover wish i could afford it. cloud9.gif

I've always liked that cover. The seller states if it were a coin or stamp it could be worth a fortune! Well. . .it's NOT a coin or stamp. Sellers that come across as naive or use excessive hype when peddling their wares anoy me. Still, that comic looks to be in good shape (for it's age). smirk.gif

I for one hope it dosent grade higher than 8.0, since I just bought a CGC 8.0 OW/W, which is currently the highest in the census. I doubt he could get anywhere near $5000 for it even if it had already been certified 9.4. The colors look very good on the inner cover, but it could still easily be less than NM.

I doubt he could get anywhere near $5000 for it even if it had already been certified 9.4

I agree, the book is a minor key at best. Any links it has to the Spider-Man mythos are pretty tentative.

Most collectors/investors that are buying up true NM books would not be risking their money on prototype books IMO. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Quite possibly, the seller will make an "off-ebay deal" with an interested party that contacts him with what he feels is a decent offer, then shill bid it with another of his identities to fraudulently save himself Ebay fees (a la SupaPimp).

Then leave himself stellar feedback from his shill account (a la SupaPimp) and when Ebay discovers what he did, and boots him off Ebay for a month (a la SupaPimp), he'll explain that he was only given the heave-ho by Ebay not because he was shilling his own auctions, but because his pp wasn't in order (a la SupaPimp).

Then if he joins the Forum, he can profess his "innocence" to us all by composing an imaginary email (a la SupaPimp), until the person he's lying about sending his composed email shows up and blows his cover, revealing the entire deception because he was too silly to get that person to agree to the cover up before posting that made up email (a la SupaPimp).

Hey, it's possible. We've seen it before (a la SupaPimp).

...and just where in tarnation have you been when I incant your name over and over for an opinion on "aftermarket" trim? Hmmmmmmm?

You're impossible!!!!

All I have to do if Matt Stanley is needed to settle a major distortion of truth is to intone his name once....quietly! Just watch.......

uhhhhhh! (quiet as a church mouse..barely audible) ....Matt??

I for one hope it dosent grade higher than 8.0, since I just bought a CGC 8.0 OW/W, which is currently the highest in the census.

Welcome to the forums.

Do you have a scan of the copy you have? It would be nice if you could post it on the thread, I for one would love to see it. grin.gif

and just where in tarnation have you been when I incant your name over and over for an opinion on "aftermarket" trim? Hmmmmmmm?

Seriously? I started reading some of that thread - then a bt more - nd just discarded it all around as smething uninformative. Never noticd my name incanted but nowadays, having really setteled into the forums and feeling comfy, I tend to just skip over the infighting.

I used to write professionally for a film magazine (just a sideline but was published every issue). Then the backstabbing and infighting started. I no longer write about film (which I am as passionate about as comics) because of this. I will be dammed if I let this happen again!

So just remember - and not just Mr. Nice but everyone - when it comes down to real accustation wars I am not in it. I will not let other people's vendettas destroy another loved genre.

As far as something like Bubbles goes? Well that was just trolling fun by someone who really didn't have a lot to contribute to comics and was just a plain old flamer. But when it comes to attacking people based on typed factoids - leave me out of it. No more.

PS - hope everyone understands this. If everyone doesn;t - well - ::insert clever graphic here::

So just remember - and not just Mr. Nice but everyone - when it comes down to real accustation wars I am not in it. I will not let other people's vendettas destroy another loved genre.

Well said Pov. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Blowout,

I bought it at milehighcomics.com, which still has the scan up (its to large a file to post here)... and yeah, you can go to the site and see what I paid for it (which happens to be the same amount an 8.0 with less eye appeal went for at Heritage earlier this year)

Any links it has to the Spider-Man mythos are pretty tentative.

Dagnabbit! Now I have to disagree with ya. Man - I got me some karmic debt to pay off I think! frown.gif

(hmmm - maybe YOU have the Karmnic Debt! YEAH - it was YOU who bankrupted me through a corrupt legal system in 1872! Now YOU have to pay!) grin.gif

I haven't owned/read this book since the early 80's BUT - I was really into SA then and enjoyed my ASMs as much as anyone and when I first read the Aunt May/Uncle Ben story I almost soiled myself. This ain't a tentative link. This is really Aunt May and Uncle Ben (well, I confess my memory of Uncle Ben is a bit hazy due to his lack of appearances) but it really IS Aunt May - name and all. When I collected Atlas exclusively the pre-heroes were a great fave and I had pretty much all the prototypes. But I have to say there is no prototype to my memory that was SO close to the "real" character. Aunt May and Uncle Ben's kindness and sympathy were exactly right on. Their look was right on. Their names were right on. In my humble opinion, this really IS Aunt May and Uncle Ben - not like Magneto who was just a strong guy who obtained magnetic properties and ended up being shot into space!

I guess the thing about this prototype is that the prototypees are just "plain folk" with no real mythos behind them. In that context they can be carried into the next age (aka AF15/ASM 1) and retain their completeness. There is no need to make a "stretch" ... they are just as they were.

Man - I think I am gonna break my pre-code buying for a bit nd snag one of these in a nice fine or so.

... and when I first read the Aunt May/Uncle Ben story I almost soiled myself. This ain't a tentative link. This is really Aunt May and Uncle Ben (well, I confess my memory of Uncle Ben is a bit hazy due to his lack of appearances) but it really IS Aunt May - name and all. When I collected Atlas exclusively the pre-heroes were a great fave and I had pretty much all the prototypes. But I have to say there is no prototype to my memory that was SO close to the "real" character. Aunt May and Uncle Ben's kindness and sympathy were exactly right on. Their look was right on. Their names were right on. In my humble opinion, this really IS Aunt May and Uncle Ben ...

I see someone has been reading "Trouble" tongue.gif893applaud-thumb.gif