• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timely Time!

12 posts in this topic

As a newbie CGC collector's society member, I just sent in my coupon for three express tier submissions this morning (a bargain at $99). I chose three Timely's from my collection (all of which I believe are unrestored, but ya never know until you see blue labels): Captain America #24 (VG/F); All Winners #8 (Fine-); and Marvel Mystery Comics #81(VF-). None of these books were purchased through dealers, so I'm on my own as far as these grade-stimates. I'll post a follow-up when I get them back and we can all have a good laugh at the one incomplete .5 and the two PLOD's (Nooooo! makepoint.gif893frustrated.gif). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And, has anyone else experienced the anxiety that comes with sending a couple grand worth of books out in the mail (even though it's registered/insured)? It was like watching my kids get on the school bus for the first time.

And, has anyone else experienced the anxiety that comes with sending a couple grand worth of books out in the mail (even though it's registered/insured)? It was like watching my kids get on the school bus for the first time.

Great analogy, not that I have kids, but I definitely know what you mean and know that anxiety.

DAM

I have always wonder what people do when they have 100 thousand dollar type shipments.

I mean if you had say an Action 1 in VF+. Would you just trust sending that thing through the mail?

I have always wonder what people do when they have 100 thousand dollar type shipments.

I mean if you had say an Action 1 in VF+. Would you just trust sending that thing through the mail?

Place comic book in briefcase. Lock briefcase. Send lock's combination to CGC via 256 bit digital encryption. Give courier loaded .357, just in case. Send courier to CGC. Courier is not to let book out of sight during grading process. Once book is graded and slabbed, it is placed back in briefcase and locked with a new combination. CGC sends new combination to owner via 256 bit digital encryption. Bullets in .357 are exchanged for spent uranium shells with dum dum tips. Courier returns book to owner.

Place comic book in briefcase. Lock briefcase. Send lock's combination to CGC via 256 bit digital encryption. Give courier loaded .357, just in case. Send courier to CGC. Courier is not to let book out of sight during grading process. Once book is graded and slabbed, it is placed back in briefcase and locked with a new combination. CGC sends new combination to owner via 256 bit digital encryption. Bullets in .357 are exchanged for spent uranium shells with dum dum tips. Courier returns book to owner.

Get on plane to Sarasota. Get off plane in Sarasota. Get in cab. Go to CGC. Say "hello, I'd like walk through please." Pick Gemma and Harshen up off the floor when you whip out your Action 1. Give book to Steve. Sit back. Have beer. Have another beer. Watch TV. Get book back. Go to Kinkos. Make scan of book. Go to hotel. Take out laptop. Post image in "Have A Cigar" thread. Have more beer.

If you had an Action #1 in VF, you could afford the plane tix to go to Sarasota and back. And buy an extra seat in 1st class, just for the book. I live in North FL, so I'm about 400 miles from Sarasota, but I'd just drive. Can you drop off the books at CGC, then request regular (i.e. non walk-through) service? Just because you didn't mail it to them shouldn't mean you still can't get the regular service, right? Just wondering.

Well to reiterate a bit what has been said - deals like this - they will probably be in person. The cost of a round trip ticket is nothing in comparison to the cost of the book. When I bought my Action 1 (was only 30K back in the day) I bought a round-trip ticket, checked out the book and flew back with it. When I sold it - well - the buyer was local so we just hooked up.

But things like this? In-person al the way!

Go to Kinkos. Make scan of book.

If I had all that dough to spend on tickets, cabs, walk through service, etc. you would think that I could drop a few more bucks and get the image service from CGC. By doing this I not only get away from carrying that valuable book into Kinkos, but now I have more time and money for beer.

stooges.gif

Heh - the big difference being, there's no way your kids will come back "restored"

When I bought my Action 1 (was only 30K back in the day)

1. I doubt I'd use "only" and "30k" in the same sentence unless I was referring to buying a house (lol).

2. You have a real Action #1? Wow!

3. What grade is it, and can you provide a scan?

I chose three Timely's from my collection (all of which I believe are unrestored, but ya never know until you see blue labels): Captain America #24 (VG/F); All Winners #8 (Fine-); and Marvel Mystery Comics #81(VF-). None of these books were purchased through dealers, so I'm on my own as far as these grade-stimates. I'll post a follow-up when I get them back and we can all have a good laugh at the one incomplete .5 and the two PLOD's (Nooooo! makepoint.gif893frustrated.gif). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And.....they're back:

Cap Am #24 4.5 blue label

All Winners #8 5.0 blue label

Marvel Mystery #81 7.5 blue label

acclaim.gif