• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Hero Strange Tales worth a look on E-Bay (not mine)

15 posts in this topic

Been discussed before.

The really problem was when the seller was trying to sell unslabbed copies of these books (and didn't mention that they would get a Qualified grade).

None of these CGC'd copies sold last time they were on eBay (about two weeks ago).

They are nice but just like restored books, it hard to buy with an "investment" point of view.

I tell ya, it is just too darn bad that there is not someone around on these forums who knows all about those Eastern file copies! Someone who could give us some hands on anecdotal tales of their creation and initially being called file copies. I wonder where that person is?

I have no doubt that the covers could be called "file" copies, but I do have doubts about the interiors since they mostly have cream pages. It could be that they were simply stored in high temperature/humidity environments, but the popular modus operandi for marrying file covers is to join them to the interiors of books with low-grade covers.

I have no doubt that the covers could be called "file" copies, but I do have doubts about the interiors since they mostly have cream pages. It could be that they were simply stored in high temperature/humidity environments, but the popular modus operandi for marrying file covers is to join them to the interiors of books with low-grade covers.

Some confuse "file copies" with "warehouse finds". The Harvey pre-code horror warehouse find is an excellent example. Gorgeous covers but cream and even tan pages. Yet these are often referred to as "file copies".

Eastern cover press covers are not file copies but uncut covers. I used to see some of the prehero covers at New York shows hanging on a wall. The trick was to find a interior that closely matched the whiteness of the cover, trim the cover down and do your best to put the staples in correctly. I have seen very well done married covers and really bad married covers. The FF #1 eastern cover press was a complete disaster, some of the prehero issues have been done very well.