• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on Supreme Power?

20 posts in this topic

Anyone read the first issue? What'd ya think?

For some reason this issue moved a little slow to me and I didn't really care for JMS's treatment of Bush in the lab...I expect things to pick up in the upcoming issues..

Loved it!! I was prepared for the slow lead-in to the story, though, and wasn't shocked at the slow pace of issue 1. This one will be written in 6 issue bites, and will probably be an even better read in tpb form.

Man, did anyone else make the mistake of reading the FIRST Squadron Supreme mini? Woo! Stinky!

This series? Who knows... I can't tell anything from first issues anymore... confused-smiley-013.gif

WHATS THE 1ST THE BIG TRADE THAT WAS REPRINTED?

Man, did anyone else make the mistake of reading the FIRST Squadron Supreme mini? Woo! Stinky!

This series? Who knows... I can't tell anything from first issues anymore... confused-smiley-013.gif

YES.

YES.

Well if its the one about Squad Supreme taking over I thought it was very good!

Supreme Power one was great. Story and dialogue very nice. I havent read the old Squadron, but I mean to pick up the TPB.

It's bad. It is every reason why people have low opinions of comic books.

Okay, I don't know that THAT is true, but it's bad. Real bad. I really wish I hadn't wasted my money. frown.gif (Could have bought the rest of the Preacher run!) smile.gif

an alien super-powered being ever crashed in Kansas, wouldn't Uncle Sam be all over it? Sort of like Roswell

I haven't read the book, but doesn't this sound sort of like Maxi-Mortal all over? confused.gif

Chris

Its a pretty nice reinterpretation of Superman, don't you think?

I can't believe Marvel didn't get into legal trouble with DC for that story. JMS should stick with Am. Spider-man, Supreme Power was a stinker.

Uhhhh......hello?

It's well known that the Squadron Supreme concept was/is based on the Justice League characters. The iconographic aspects of the story shouldn't have come as a surprise.

I can't believe Marvel didn't get into legal trouble with DC for that story. JMS should stick with Am. Spider-man, Supreme Power was a stinker.

Uhhhh......hello?

It's well known that the Squadron Supreme concept was/is based on the Justice League characters. The iconographic aspects of the story shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Guess I didn't get the memo. confused-smiley-013.gif I remember reading somewhere that DC shutdown Fawcett's Captain Marvel because he too closely resembled Superman. Anyhow, it doesn't really bother me because I don't read Superman and think Supreme Power is a stinker. To each their own.

Guess I didn't get the memo.

27_laughing.gif .... sorry for the aggressive reply. blush.gif The 'copyright infringement' area meets a tenuous border with parody and satire. The Authority humiliated a super-team a couple of years ago that was a thinly veiled Avengers.

I'd suggest running with the story for the first arc. Marvel's new 'write it like a tpb' policy severely handicaps the entertainment value of first issues.

Guess I didn't get the memo.

27_laughing.gif .... sorry for the aggressive reply. blush.gif The 'copyright infringement' area meets a tenuous border with parody and satire. The Authority humiliated a super-team a couple of years ago that was a thinly veiled Avengers.

I'd suggest running with the story for the first arc. Marvel's new 'write it like a tpb' policy severely handicaps the entertainment value of first issues.

No problem. grin.gif I might pick up the tpb when it comes out. Usually, I don't get the second issue if there isn't a hook that intrigues me.

Uhhhh......hello?

Yeah, the Squadrom was a wink-and-nod toward the Justice League of America, even expanding it's ranks along with them ( i.e. "Nuke" joined when Firestorm joined the league, evidently...)

Lilandra's Imperial Guard, in the X-men mythos, are another "homage" to D.C., this time spoofing the Legion of Superheroes, with Gladiator standing in for Super(Man).

If any of you have a long memory, you might recall that in the Official Handbook to The Marvel Universe, the Gladiator entry was actually drawn by Curt Swan... cool.gif

I always thought it classy of D.C. to let Swanny do that, despite his "exclusive contract"... 893applaud-thumb.gif

-Joe

i liked it better than his spidey stories actually, i dropped Amazing for being flat out boring!

I agree about AMS. I used to read it, but I also began to find it too boring and slow moving. It seems to deal with social issues and trying to make Peter Parker too much of a do-gooder which is also boring.

I thought the Supreme Power preview in Wizard was quite intriguing. I missed the first issue though and will probably read the TPB eventually. I still like collecting comics, but I find myself more and more frustrated with the serialized nature of them and waiting months and months for a story to be completed. So I'm more into TPBs now if I'm buying the book more for reading than "collecting". On the other hand, I bought the Jim Lee Batman books as nice pretty books to add to my collection and certainly not for ther "reading" enjoyment.