• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad news for the industry?

63 posts in this topic

Interesting article on the comic industry's apparent disregard for women.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/douglas-wolk/superhero-comics-girl-tr_b_50820.html

I think there are some valid points. Of course, part of the appeal of comics is the eye candy, but when a market knowingly and willingly alienates 50% of it's potential audience, that can't be a good thing. Especially given the overly politically-correct knee-jerk world we live in.

2 comments......

1) I'm not so sure about the first sentence........

"The American superhero comics industry -- once supported at least as much by girls as by boys -- has been desperately trying to figure out how to bring back women readers for decades."

I'm not aware of any time when girls supported super-hero comics at least as much as boys and I don't think anyone has been desperately trying to bring back the women.

and 2) What's wrong this cover??? Looks perfectly normal to me! confused-smiley-013.gif

JLA10Turnerteaser.jpg

cloud9.gifcloud9.gif Power Girl!

2 of the examples he chooses are very current and obviously over the top. Otherwise, I think he generalizes out of his *spoon*.

There are more women reading comics now than ever before, according to multiple sources.

They just aren't reading the same things as the boys in the same numbers.

that cover just proves Michael Turner can't draw- nothing else. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well obviously you are incorrect, or else his stuff wouldn't sell and he wouldn't be in demand the way he is.

As far as the article, "fluff" is the right word for it. Trying to make a news story out of nothing.

And girls do read comics, tons of comics actually. Its called Manga. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

that cover just proves Michael Turner can't draw- nothing else. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well obviously you are incorrect, or else his stuff wouldn't sell and he wouldn't be in demand the way he is.

As far as the article, "fluff" is the right word for it. Trying to make a news story out of nothing.

And girls do read comics, tons of comics actually. Its called Manga. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

True, but the author lazily sidestepped that by calling his subject the 'American Superhero Industry'.

To be fair, I don't think it's a "fluff" article as it points out that the MSM (mainstream media) picked up on the Adam Hughes statue and some other stuff. I think the author is trying to get to an issue, and sure he sensationalized things a bit to make his argument, but it's not fluff.

Exactly! Rob Liefeld sold millions of comics and we all know he knew how to draw too! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Popularity always equals talent!

Exactly! Rob Liefeld sold millions of comics and we all know he knew how to draw too! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Popularity always equals talent!

It's true... just look at music...

Vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli, Britney, Sanjaya... popularity = talent. thumbsup2.gif

I'm a fan of Turner's work so go to hell!

Hey, why don't you get mad about it? screwy.gif

It's not my fault Turner couldn't draw an anatomically correct person if his life depended on it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm a fan of Turner's work so go to hell!

Hey, why don't you get mad about it? screwy.gif

It's not my fault Turner couldn't draw an anatomically correct person if his life depended on it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't like fat chicks, I like them boobies big and butts bigger. FYI I'm not mad but try again.

sigh, you guys need to get out more. If I started taking things personal over the internet I'd quit it forever. frown.gif I was just stating my opinion.

"Go to hell" is stating an opinion? Take your pills. screwy.gif

sigh, you guys need to get out more. If I started taking things personal over the internet I'd quit it forever. frown.gif I was just stating my opinion.

"Go to hell" is stating an opinion? Take your pills. screwy.gif

Take my pills? 27_laughing.gif

Want a tissue? I wasn't trying to start an argument, it was initially meant to be just a tongue in cheek comment but some people manage to get hurt over everything?

Here's a smiley flower, now let's move on. flowerred.gif