• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC'ed vs Raw

Where your $$$ goes  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Where your $$$ goes

16 posts in this topic

just curious over the past year what % on a dollar basis of your purchases have been in cgc books (vs. raw books - please exclude tpbs, busts, art, etc)

I'm curious to see the results . . .

DAM

I guess just to give a little background, I don't have that many CGC books, but it seems that the ones that I do are pretty expensive (especially in relation to the cheap books that I normally buy raw). However, right now the CGC game for just comics is easily 75-80% (although I voted 66-75, which it normally is) but recently I have been spending a lot of energy and money on the original art game and some tpbs (it is sad how few comics I have actually read frown.gif ) and overstreet guides.

DAM

Primarily, I buy raw... whether it's a relatively expensive book or not. I haven't spent a ton of money on one book recently, I've simply preferred to spend that money on getting a quantity of bronze age books, and reassembling my Marvel Masterworks with the remastered editions plus the Archives.

I own very few CGC books, probably about 10, and those aren't even books I'm all that interested in. I guess I prefer raw because I like the idea of being able to look inside the book if I want to...

But I don't read that many comics any more either, which sometimes makes me wonder about how much money I'm spending if it equates to really getting entertainment value out of it. It's only in the past 6 months that I've really become interested again. Over the past two years before that I was slowly selling all my books and thinking of getting out completely.

I think this board, which has a lot of big dollar spenders and dealers, deal more with CGC than the bulk of people out there (as Donut has pointed out)... so unless we're talking early 60s marvels and before, and the occasional bronze book... I don't think I'd even consider a CGC copy, because I don't need a 9.8 Amazing Spidey 300... I just need a nice copy with good eye appeal.

I only buy CGC books off eBay. I'll occasionally buy a raw book but it'll only be from a few people, such as Bob Storms. If I could find more than 2 or 3 people who can accurately grade raw, I'd certainly buy more.

Brian

I only buy CGC books off eBay. I'll occasionally buy a raw book but it'll only be from a few people, such as Bob Storms. If I could find more than 2 or 3 people who can accurately grade raw, I'd certainly buy more.

Brian

If I don't know the person then i only buy CGC as well.

Me, I've got 1 only CGC book.An Action 263 that I purchased from thecomicsheet.

I bought it because I like the crazy antics of the Bizarros and the price was right.

Now, I have bid on many CGC books, but never successful to the end. ( which may be good for my wallet ! )

I tend to bid on more raw books only because I do enjoy the feel,smell, read , that I get from a raw book.

grin.gif

just curious over the past year what % on a dollar basis of your purchases have been in cgc books (vs. raw books - please exclude tpbs, busts, art, etc)

Hey Dam - am curious to know - what is sparking this question?

Just made a pretty major cgc purchase that is totally detracting from my raw run. Wanted to see how you other guys do it smile.gif

Also wanted to see how many guys only / never bought cgc books . . .

DAM

Hey Dam - am curious to know - what is sparking this question?

Just made a pretty major cgc purchase that is totally detracting from my raw run. Wanted to see how you other guys do it smile.gif

DAM

Break the book out of the slab and you don't have to worry about it anymore! confused-smiley-013.gif

DAM

What did you buy???

DAM

What did you buy???

Some crappy CGC 9.6 Batman! blush.gif

DAM

What did you buy???

Some crappy CGC 9.6 Batman! blush.gif

Which one?...c'mon give....