• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Decorate Or Not To Decorate?

Do you leave your longboxes untouched, or do you decorate them? (It's late, and I'm bored :) )  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you leave your longboxes untouched, or do you decorate them? (It's late, and I'm bored :) )

16 posts in this topic

That's cool. It just got me thinking last night how much work that would be once the collection gets to where some of our more esteemed board members are at.

Dude... from your signature you're only two issues from completing the ASM run? That's awesome! I'm aiming to finish the 1-100, grabbed up all of the bronze and copper key issues, and am only two away from having all of McFarlane's work on ASM (just need 313 & 314). Focusing solely on the ASM series has seriously brought my other runs I was working on to grinding halt, but it has probably been some of the most rewarding to add to the box by far. Best of luck!

Thanks man. Actually, I'm pretty much done with the series now, believe it or not. On Saturday I'm going to pick up #7 from a LCS and that'll do it. The rest of the books I need are being shipped, so hopefully by next week it'll all be put together. I do need a few annuals still, but I'm not stressing out on those.

I'm debating on whether I should go after variants and stuff now. I'll also probably spent some time tweaking the set - adding higher grades when I can. I submitted my AF #15 and ASM #1 to CGC last weekend. The AF #15 is a total beater, but at this point, I just want it slabbed so it's protected. Same with the ASM #1, though it's in a lot better shape.

So, now I've moved back to finishing a few runs. Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider- Man (1990), and Daredevil are at the top of my list. I can't believe how hard it is to find some of those later Spider-Man (1990) issues! What a pain in the butt!

Anyway, good luck on finishing your set. It's tough, but it can be done! I'll post pictures after I have all my books in smile.gif

Well, beater or not, it's still an AF 15! Again, congrat's on the collection. I usually see copies of Annual #1 running around these boards now and then as well as eBay, so I'm sure you should be able to snag up a copy soon enough. My LCS also picked up a set of ASM 1-300 and I think it includes annuals as well. They are spot-on graders, and sell at OS (which is nice when it comes to higher priced issues), so let me know.

When I got back into collecting, I tackled the three lesser Spidey titles because I knew they'd be more easily attainable. I ended up getting PPSSM 1-20, Web 1-10, and Spider-Man 1-16 (up until McFarlane left for Image). They're pretty inexpensive runs to get at mid to high grade quality, so I might go after them for completionist purposes once my ASM and UXM runs are where I'd like them to be.

Which issues are you looking for in particular from the 1990 series? I've got a smattering of others not listed, so who knows. I've always found this (at least the ones Todd worked on) to be highly underrated. I bought the entire set in 9.0 or higher in the 3/$1 bin, but they are every bit as interesting to me as any other comic out there. Maybe it's just me?

Annual #1 is easy to find. It's just a matter of me saving the money for a copy now. smile.gif Thanks for the offer though!

Web is pretty easy to finish. I bought a near complete set off eBay for like $100 and then filled it in from there. You can do the same with USM, and PPSSM. Spider-Man, oddly enough, is a lot harder to finish. I think it's because readership dropped off sharply after Larsen and McFarlane left. Even with Romita Jr. on board it didn't put up the greatest numbers.

I actually did a lot of online buying this evening and finished up the Spider-Man (1991) run! It was tough, but not as expensive as I had feared smile.gif It just takes a lot of diligence.

I've almost got a second full set of Spider-Girl done. I wonder how interest is on that title. I know print numbers were low on it.

Was the glue stick one a drug option too?

:signfunny:

Now back to Mac Man and D's private conversation about the difficulties in finding the 90's Spiderman series. (I wish someone would buy my set)

I chose crack, but then I remembered seeing somewhere on these boards where a member photo copied covers of comics to paste on the front of his boxes for easy referance. Might not be a bad Idea especially if your boxes are stored out in the open as opposed to a closet or such. I guess it would dress them up.

I used to cut out characters from old beatup comics when I was a kid and glue them to the box so I knew who/what was in each box. Now I just write it on the cover in pencil.

It's funny that you mention that. As a child, I would draw marvel characters like Doom, Surfer, Galactus etc... over all of my boxes.