• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tec 27 auction

39 posts in this topic

Lot Description

Detective Comics #27 (5/39) - CGC grade FN- 5.5, Universal Grade (Unrestored blue label), with off-white pages. Very minor amount of color touch on cover. First appearances of Batman and Commissioner Gordon. Bob Kane art. At the time of this writing, the CGC Census reports that this is the Fourth Highest Graded copy of the only 12 unrestored examples they have reviewed.

Take a moment to reflect on the almost mythic stature that this book currently possesses. This modest little paper pamphlet is solely responsible for almost 65 years of employment for hundreds of creators and editorial staff. But that's only the tip of the iceberg. Think of the thousands that have been involved in related toy production, ad work, magazine distribution, TV and movie production, premium promotions, and on, and on. The list is gargantuan in scope and impossible to ever fully document. Batman became an industry, positively affecting other related industries. Now, just think of the millions of readers that the character of Batman has entertained over his history. It's almost unimaginable that such a pronounced effect could stem from such humble origins. When we view the copy that is offered here, we are overwhelmed by its importance, by the knowledge of what it is and the large body of work that would be produced because of it.

We should take a moment to talk about the appearance of this copy of Batman's historic first appearance. While the CGC grading is technically accurate, the beauty of the example belies its grade. The FN-, 5.5 awarded judgement is based largely on two small chips at the spine's center, a slight twist to the cover and a few color flakes near the spine, towards the bottom. The book has no extreme evidence of other allowable defects that are commonly found on similarly graded books. The colors are bright and sharp, and all four corners are exceptionally crisp. While its already high technical grade is currently exceeded by only three other CGC graded copies, its level of eye appeal is that of a superior grade. This is a copy that you can display with pride, both in your board room, and to your private gatherings of friends.

Turning up less often than the scarce Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27 has become the key book that most advanced collectors still need, and like most key books, it's almost impossible to find any that has not had some level of restorative work done to it. This copy remains almost completely unaffected, with only a tiny bit of color touch to a spot on the cover. The amount of color present has been judged by the CGC graders to be so miniscule that it doesn't qualify the book for anything less than the standard Universal Grade's blue label. To a comic collector, this copy possesses an almost palpable beauty. It is a magnificent example and, as with any copy of this scarce publication, to hold it is to hold history. To own it is to become part of that history yourself.

why no PLOD? confused.gif893frustrated.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I couldn't disagree more with this. It's either color-touched/glued and restored or it isn't. Sure, it may be the difference of $50,000 or more in certain circumstances. An impartial grading company should at least follow that every time, consistently. Period. mad.gif

With the restoration disclosed, it's already been bid approx. $15,000 higher than it ever should have gone. It is a Mastro Auction however and "whale" that he is (in the most complimentary sense....the guy has been running 5 to 6 of his auctions per year that each generate $10Million plus for as long as I can remember), he has many high rollers bidding stupid numbers on his lots, plus the grading companies for different hobbies LOVE to stay on his good side.

Interestingly, I wonder how much more color touch was on the Mile High Cap 1 than on this Tec 27 for the Cap to have gotten a purple and the Tec to have gotten a Blue label??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For someone looking to optimize or recoup dollars, I would suggest they buy the Mile high Cap 1 (PLOD), unslab it..and send it to Mastro on consignment, allowing him to submit it for grading.

I'm not sure if I would call that color touch tiny.

If you use the magnifier on Mastro it looks as if the color touch is on the blue hat of the gangster on the left side at the spine. And it looks like almost all the blue at the spine has been filled in.

I agree there was probably less work done on the MH Cap #1 (especially since both it and the Blue Label More Fun #52 were both owned by the same color-toucher at one point).

MH Cap #1 (especially since both it and the Blue Label More Fun #52 were both owned by the same color-toucher at one point).

893whatthe.gif And who might that be??

I hesitate to name the name - especially when that person is the head of a mighty International Gallery somewhere.

But remember - in the late 70s/early 80s a couple spots

of color just wasn't seen as being that bad.

Here's answer why some restored GA books get blue labels: Link

CGC, since before it's inception, has always stated that, at CGC's discretion, golden age comics with the most minor color touch and/or the most minor glue will be given a blue label but the very minor glue/color touch will ALWAYS be noted on the label. The comic grade will be lowered one step on the grading scale for this because the "work" done to the book is so minor that if removed, it would only change the grade by one step if at all.

The reason CGC decided to do this is that many of the high-grade pedigree Golden-Age comic books have had very minor work done to them and it was always either accepted or ignored by the buyers and sellers of these comic books. CGC could not come into the market and ignore very minor work because CGC is about full disclosure so, to be fair to both buyer and seller alike, we decided to go with the blue label, a one step down grade, and a notation about the work that was done.

Makes sense to me, because only books with removeable restoration can get universal blue labels.

Hmmm...I see. Never would've thought people like that did their own dirty work! 893naughty-thumb.gif

it was a different time... One guy, all alone with a marker and some near perfect comics save a few tiny color flakes is apt to lose his mind and "fix" them. And the trouble with start is to stop filling in the cracks. It's a shame, but he's only human...and they were only comic books...

IMHO mamanook loved his comics too much to color touch them. Perhaps some of his pedigree horde came to him via John Snyder but, alas, the late 70s & 80s were a different time (Bill Sarill & S Cicconi). Clean & press was not frowned upon then. mad.gif

Yes, I agree - don't think Mamanook has been doing any late night coloring on his books with the peanut butter stick. I understand he was quite surpised when several of the books he gave to Heritage last year came back restored.

It's another hot potato hall of fame icon that we're talking about here.

You know - someone who was/is singing the praises of things like the Superman secret compartment ring being a blue-chip investment item (what the...?).

You know - someone who was/is singing the praises of things like the Superman secret compartment ring being a blue-chip investment item (what the...?).

I made a great ring buy a few years ago in, of ALL places, a Beacon Hill (aka Posh Boston) antique store. Got to know the owner well and he said to me "Hey! You may like this!" He showed me a plastic ring. Now I ocnfess I had JUST bought the Ring Guide and something about it "ticked" but I had no idea why. Well, the price was $35. I decided to buy it and the owner made a VERY prophetic statement: "If I knew what it was I would probably charge you more!"

Anyway, I went back home with my ring and started looking through the guide and lo and behold! A 1941 SHADOW Blue Coal (Blue Coal was the sponsor) radio program glow in the dark ring. I was rather happy!

PS - was as close to Mint as I would care to classify anything as Mint. Just like new.

Anyway, I went back home with my ring and started looking through the guide and lo and behold! A 1941 SHADOW Blue Coal (Blue Coal was the sponsor) radio program glow in the dark ring. I was rather happy!

PS - was as close to Mint as I would care to classify anything as Mint. Just like new.

Wellllllll.......what was it worth? 893frustrated.gif

Wellllllll.......what was it worth? 893frustrated.gif

Sold it for $550 during a bad time. Wish I still had it now am in better times!