• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name some Golden Age books you've "Deslabbed" and never regretted?

18 posts in this topic

Per Pov's request - Some new content!

Let's see, I have "freed" and read/enjoyed the following:

Blue Ribbon Comics #13 (VG+)

Jackpot Comics #7 (VG+)

Pep Comics #16 (F/VF), 21(Fair),36 (Fair),

Shield-Wizard Comics #1(App Good)

Zip Comics #1(Good Plus),2(Very Good),10(Very Good),15(App Good Plus)

cloud9.gifAll enjoyed and read, loved, hugged, smelled, and put away for my kids someday to do the same (hopefully!)

I recently released a couple LB Cole Startling Terror Tales (4, 6, and 7 I believe?) from their slabs and sold them to forum member pmpknface. They were below F, so there wasn't really a re-sale penalty as there would be if they had been 9.0+.

I collect Gold pretty much for the covers, so no need to crack 'em open! confused-smiley-013.gif

Only one - Thing #16 in NM- 9.2. As soon as it emerged from the slab it looked about 50% better because of the refelctivity of the cover. Never regretted removing it. I am now contemplating removing my Fine- 5.5 Mister Mystery 13. Have had it a good while now and found no replacement for it as yet.

Have personally liberated:

- Action Comics 54

- World's Finest 7

- Star-Spangled 18

- Star-Spangled 20

All in the G+ to VG+ range.

And regarding sending the labels back for census cleanup: My view on that is the books belong in the census even though they are unslabbed (and admittedly subject to being degraded). Only if I or a subsequent owner goes to slab them again should the first instance of the book be removed from the system to avoid overcounting.

Cheers,

Z.

Hmmm...

Adventure 73

Marvel Mystery 17, 18

Mystery Men 2

World's Finest 7, 8

was there when a friend freed an Action 35.

I have never sent the labels back, but I did use an empty holder to protect some books I sent to CGC for grading once. It worked quite well. They probably didn't appreciate that too much.

My question is...do you slab crackers store the label along with the book so that you have a record of the grade???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Right-o. Not only to record the grade, but to record the no-resto if sold eventually. And, as mentioned above, if it ever does get re-subbed by me or a future buyer, then at least there's the chance for removing 1 ghost book from the census.

Ditto for me as well. Sometimes I'd like to play "CGC Label" poker w/my girlfriend. I see your Pep 16 label, and raise you a Zip 15. She wouldn't get the joke really, and she sucks at BlackJack anyway. Am I bitter? It's one of those nights she "crashed" and fell asleep early (9:00 P.M). Apparently the scattered comics over here make her sleepy.

Of course, there's the day I wake up to her reading one of my Weird Science-Fantasy reprints that I have piled up on her side of the bed. That's the day I put a ring on her finger! cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Now, she's gotta stop using the late GGA Archie's as drink coasters! She mumbles stuff about not seeing any difference between the Ginger/Suzie/Betty characters and the homoginization of the Archie line-up. acclaim.gif

Actually that was an outright lie. Instead we discuss they psycho women she works with, and how good the latest "Trading Spaces" was.... 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Great thread!

I've freed all of my CGC books:

Aces High #1 (Windy City) VF/NM (A white paged beauty!)

Dollman #18 (Cosmic Aeroplane) VF (Had to see those obsessive checkmarks!)

Extra #2 (Gaines) VF/NM

Police Comics #112 (Edgar Church) VF+ (Only one I had to take a scissors to in order to get through the heat seal on the inner well. Held my breath all the way!)

X-Venture #2 (Lowville) VF

Picture Stories from American History #3 (Lowville) NM-

I've also got a load of Salida WDC&S issues coming, 5 of which are CGC graded ranging from VF to VF/NM, and all of them will be cracked upon receipt.

Alan