• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another top ten question?

13 posts in this topic

We all know that the value of the OS guide. It is a guide only. Most books could be picked up in most conditions for a discount to guide. However there are certain titles/books that are clearly mispriced in the guide. I can understand a reluctance

for the publishers to show a slippage in prices of some books but I can't understand underpricing certain books. It's almost as if the publisher has the books in the databank and marks the entire run up by the same percentage. Anyway here is my question: What are the top ten underpriced golden aged books relative to guide? Cleraly, Superman 14 seems to be one of them. I am not talking about NM books that are one of a kind but a book in an average grade that almost always sells above guide. Thanks

Pep Comics #22-50, specifically, #22.

An unrestored good minus sold for $7500 2 years ago on EBAY, and Metropolis has a faded VG/Fine for $9,000 right now.

Overstreet say this about Pep #22, from the current guide:

Good - $1233

VG - $2466

Fine - $3700

which puts Met's copy at 3x guide. That's why this is the last Pep book I need, and it's tough to find.

All of the above, add Archie Comics #1. Same pricing tier in Overstreet, and just as sought after.

There's my 2, and my 500th post!

well i can add some precode horror knowledge

• Black Cat Mystery #50 & tomb of terror #15 can not be found in any condition Near Guide. Even fairs bring a 2x guide minimum

• The Wolverton issues of Mister Mystery, Weird Tales of the Future & Mister Mystery all go for over guide, as does the flaming poker in the eye cover on MM #12

• Amazing Mysteries #32, the 1st atlas horror with a great surrealistic cover - i sold mine in fair for 3x guide, and there aren't enough other sales of the book to even judge. This one is REALLY underestimated

• Worlds of Fear #9 & 10, drowning & eyes out covers

• Men's adventures #23 is a knockout! Classic White Everett cover, matt fox, reed crandall, howie post , mort lawrence & myron Fass art!!!! Tough as pigeon's lips to find, always over guide.

• Startling Terror #11 LB Cole Spider cover - Always goes for stupid money. I sold my VG+ for 3x guide last year.

• The ACG Romance book, slipping my mind right now, with the lunatic cover. I bid 5x guide for a GD and lost out, and it was a UK auction

...And that Roly Poly #14 with the "Cor Blimey its a Bleedin' head" cover! I lost had one chance at that, bid 3x guide and was not even close!

I agree with your pre-code horror shots. Interestingly, Mister Mystery 11 (buried up to neck in anthill) cover and 12 (injury to eye) cover are already broken out and go for more. Mister Mystery 13, in my opinion as good as if not better than 11 or 12, is glommed into a group and commands no premium. It should.

I would add Menace 11 (the upside-down broken neck cover). I got a great deal on VG- copy but it is very difficult to find and the couple I've seen advertised by dealers are 2-3 multiples of guide.

yeah, that menace slipped my mind, i have never been able to land one frown.gif

I am in total agreeance with mr. mystery #13, it should be broken out! It never sells for guide! The #11 also has wolverton art, so that helps that along besides the great cover....

My opinion - World's Finest #71 (Superman/Batman begin as team) in decent grade - listed as scarce in Overstreet. Any book above VG/F will go for well over guide, and good luck finding such a book. Per the CGC database, 19 have been slabbed, and that doesn't appear to make is quite as scarce as one would imagine, but the highest grade is VF- 7.5 (with the new label, should I even use the "VF-"?). Just my thought for the day. smirk.gif

Adding to the precode horror list (and trust me, speaking from personal experience) the Ditko issues of Thing 12-15. 12 and 15 are harder to find of the four, but all four go for well above guide. I just paid 2.5X guide for 15 in VG last month.

With the exception of #1, I think early Sub-Mariners are undervalued in the guide, especially #3 and #6. I never understood why OS never separated #6 in the price guide from 7-10. That is a tough book with a classic cover that is always in demand. In general, compare early Sub's with other major early Timely titles from that period and they look like they're lagging.

Stagedoorjohnny

Worlds of Fear #9 & 10, drowning & eyes out covers

This is one of the few duplicated titles I have. The Worlds of Fear 6 with that bug-eyed cute mammal and

wof9.jpg

Poorly centered and store stamps to boot. Nice paper quality though. Will upgrade one day.