• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speed Gordon

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard of a comic from the late forties called called speed Gordon.

A friend has #2 and #3 and doesn't know much about them (or me)

Would appreciate any help as "Overstreet 2003" offered none

confused-smiley-013.gifThanks

What is the price on it? If it has a pence price then it is not a US issue and won't be included in OS.

araich... if it was an aussie superhero it would be "couldn't give a [!@#%^&^] gordon"

Well the price is in pence, but that could mean its either british or australian,

(we changed to dollars over here in the seventies.) I was just wondering wether this was just a lame "Flash" copy or a comic in its own right.

Weather in Perth is a breezy 22c bbbrrrrrrrr,(Its our winter) roll on summer. smile.gifcool.gif

"couldn't give a @#$% Gordon sounds about right 27_laughing.gif

Has anyone heard of a comic from the late forties called called speed Gordon.

A friend has #2 and #3 and doesn't know much about them (or me)

Would appreciate any help as "Overstreet 2003" offered none

confused-smiley-013.gifThanks

What is the price on it? If it has a pence price then it is not a US issue and won't be included in OS.

araich... if it was an aussie superhero it would be "couldn't give a [!@#%^&^] gordon"

27_laughing.gif..I love you guys....

Weather in Perth is a breezy 22c bbbrrrrrrrr,(Its our winter) roll on summer. smile.gifcool.gif

"couldn't give a @#$% Gordon sounds about right 27_laughing.gif

Remember our South Florida and Hawaii stay very temperate year round. And also remember that 99% of Americans don't know the Celcius system. I spent 2 months in Australia on work (Melbourne, with weekend holidays in Sydney, Hobart and Cairns), and it's one of the most beautiful countries on Earth. You lucky dog!!

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Well the price is in pence, but that could mean its either british or australian,

(we changed to dollars over here in the seventies.) I was just wondering wether this was just a lame "Flash" copy or a comic in its own right.

We changed to decimal currency on February 14 1966. insane.gif

I was just wondering wether this was just a lame "Flash" copy or a comic in its own right.

Speed Gordon was a very popular book after the second world war. It is definitely an OZ issue. At the time we had a thriving comic book market here and although Gordon and Gotch and other distributors reproduced a lot of US issues (jungle comics, superman, batman etc) in black and white we also had our own heros such as Speed Gordon, Billy Battle etc. Unfortunately the current market for these books does not reflect their importance. In vf (not common due to the poor quality paper theses books were printed on) they would be worth between 15 - 25 aussie.

As you have so rightly pointed out...there is plenty of stuff around the phantom. I would also place other aussie icons as Ginger Meggs, Fatty Finn, The Potts, Wally and the Major in the same bracket. As for the rest......well....it is a desert. Comic books from the 40's and 50's don't have any present day interest (except Phantom). I am sure that there would be some books on comics but I have yet to run across them.

There is definitely no comic price guide for australian distributed comics or home grown comics. It is a real shame....... frown.gif

The good news is that as these books are relatively cheap then it doesn't cost a great deal to build a collection. Three months ago I bought 15 1950's aussie funny books off ebay for less than a buck a book. They were a bargain and I had a great time reading them.