• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pencil vs ink

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I am sue this has been addressed before, but I was wondering what you people think about the new art that is just the inked version of the published original art? Reason I ask is that I have bought a few pieces that I think are just the inked versions of the art not the pencils. And I seen on albert moys web page he has some Bruce Timm inked WGCP pages that are awesome but are not the original pencils. But the prices were as if they were the original pencils (in my mind)I am kinda new to the new way of doing art. So the inked pages, the ones that are published, what would there value be in relation to the pencil versions? Half? Same? Looking for some insight on this matter.. thanks.............DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!.

After the penciler pencils the page,the inker inks the page and then it gets published,there isn't "one of each" out there. A inked page will always be more sought after than a pencil only page.

After the penciler pencils the page,the inker inks the page and then it gets published,there isn't "one of each" out there. A inked page will always be more sought after than a pencil only page.

Actually, there are instances where there are a pencil page (or penciled panels) and a published inked page. Pretty sure Ringo's work on the newest Spider-Man title is one example. (And Chris Weston's work on The Filth is an example of the latter.)

And if it was a hot penciller paired with an inker I didn't think very much of? I'd pay more for the pencil version. (But ideally I'd want both.)

hi Punch, I have been collecting 10 years now, but all the stuff I have is both pencil and ink , but of course now, they have pencil pages, AND ink pages, which are new to me. I mean I knew they were doing it but had not run into to in my buying until l recently. So, I am a bit confused as to the value of ink vs pencil. I would love to own both pages if they are different, but that is not always an option. SO I was just trying to figure out what the value of ink pages are worth when there is an penciled version out there. thanks for the info...DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Like Mr.Punch said, this is happening more and more where the pencils and inks are two seperate pieces of artwork now.

For me, inks only don't hold much value. I mean for the most part we all collect art by artists we like, not inkers we like.

Again this brings us around to collecting pencil only pieces, ink only pieces or both together. Personally I collect only pages which are inked/pencilled/lettered. There's far too many good examples of this out there to build my collection with than dealing with only a portion of the artwork as nearly all new stuff is now.

For example, the new Spirit series by Darwyn Cooke: J. Bone inks over COPIES of the original pencil. Right now, Bone's inked pages are for sale on Albert Moy but Cooke's original pencil pages are not for sale. This is alright... except I feel the prices are mostly way out of line for not including the original pages.

I know the final inked page is ultimately used to give the book its final look, but I don't think the pages should go for as much if the original pencil pages are also out there. Of course an inker has a tremendous impact on the book, but the original pencils are still the first step and so I think should be valued more.

What is interesting are some new books that aren't inked, such as the Dark Horse Conan series. How do people feel about purchasing pencil-only original art when that is also the final version used for printing?

-Bob

What about artists like Leinil Yu who only do pencilled pages which are published without being inked like his New Avengers run?

His stuff is great and I think if is pieces were inked they would loose some of their appeal. I recently bought some of Rob Liefeld's stuff, does anyone know if he does pencils without inking?

What about artists like Leinil Yu who only do pencilled pages which are published without being inked like his New Avengers run?

This is exactly the situation I was referring to when I started the poll on penciled pieces being inked. Recently a New Avengers cover by Yu surfaced on Ebay that the owner had inked. It actually sold, but it rubbed me the wrong way...the piece looked great because it was inked by frequent Yu collaborator Mark Morales, but well, you know.

J

On Rob Liefeld: More and more of his recent stuff seems to be pencils only. Since penciled work doesn't do much for me, I've lost interest in purchasing current Liefeld OA.

And, yeah, I know, most collectors have lost all interest in purchasing any Rob Liefeld artwork. But his early New Mutants/X-Force stuff? I love it....