• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling all pre-code horror fans....Eerie #1

54 posts in this topic

EERIE COMICS #1 (1947 Avon)

What do all of you pre-code horror collectors think about this book?

It looks very nice in the scans.

Overstreet notes include : 1st Supernatural comic; Kubert, Fugitani-a; bondage-c (scarce).

NM 9.4 = $4500

VF/NM 9.0 = $3375

VF 8.0 = $2250

FN 6.0 = $1080

VG 4.0 = $720

Overstreet also lists a number 1 from 1951 that reprints the original number 1. Is there anyway to tell the two apart? Is there anyway that this could be a 1951 copy? The reason that I ask is that the 1951 version is considerably less guide value wise (NM 9.4 = $725).

Some more questions to fuel discussion: Is this book really scarce? Is this a "big time" pre-code book to own? Is it important to the pre-code collector?

grin.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

Yes, the '51 is a different (and pretty sweet) cover. Sorry for low quality but scnned from small Gerber photo.

1951 Eerie 1

The 1947 is a major pre-code (IMO the most important), considered to be the first pre-code horror comic, and definitely on my grail list. It is certainly not the easiest book to find, but copies ARE out there. My feeling is that a lot of copies are in collections and not going anywhere until, prehaps, an upgrade is found.

I consider ACG's Adventures Into The Unknown #1 the 2nd most importat, after Eerie, as it was the first continuing horror comic series.

For some unfathomable reason, OS is lists Eerie 1 as the 1st "supernatural" comic and Adventures Into The Unknown 1 as the first continuing series "supernatural" comic. OS lists the two EC books, Vault Of Horror 12 (April '50) and Crypt Of Terror 17 (also April '50) as tieing for the first horror comic. And Marvel Tales 93 from August 1949 is completely ignored in any historical cntext and just "horror/weird" tales. This is utter nonsense and I would LOVE to know the reasoning and motivation behind this. We have Supernatural, Horror and Weird all being used to define the early horror books, but used in such a way as the shift the credit to EC.

Now I have no fault with EC - I consider them to be amoung the best horror comics ever published. And I rank both VOH12 and COT17 also very high up in the pre-code hierarchy. But these distinctions OS is making are too far fetched.

Rob, shiver, pov...thanks for the replies and the info.

As for the scan of the reprint Pov, it was better than the picture that I previously had which was none. Since you seem to have a Gerber available, can you tell me what the scarcity rating is of either or both of these books?

Also, do you (or anyone else familiar with pre-code horror) think that the opening bid on this auciton is a fair amount to pay for this particular copy? Of course, I am assuming that the auction description is accurate and truthful.

totally worth the bid, both rate a 6 in the gerber, but the '47 is tougher without a doubt, i wouldn't say Scarce as defined by overstreet though. If you are buying the book for yourself & want to have an important comic, this is one of the nicest copies i have seen & easily worth the bid. Speculating in pre code can be dicey, so just be sure you want the book for yourself i would say. IMO though, this book is important & will hold value.

totally worth the bid...Speculating in pre code can be dicey, so just be sure you want the book for yourself i would say. IMO though, this book is important & will hold value.

Thanks for the input shiver. I was not thinking about speculating, I am pretty much a collector and not a seller or dealer type. Comics are a hobby to me and not an investment tool.

With that out of the way, I have been working on bronze/silver horror titles (HOS, HOM, TOD, WBN, etc.) for a while and I am thinking of expanding into the GA pre-code area. I am trying to get a handle on what the truly difficult books to find will be as well as the ones that I will have to fight other collectors to get. I guess you could say that I am trying to establish a baseline for how light my wallet is going to get in the future.

grin.gif

For some unfathomable reason, OS is lists Eerie 1 as the 1st "supernatural" comic and Adventures Into The Unknown 1 as the first continuing series "supernatural" comic. OS lists the two EC books, Vault Of Horror 12 (April '50) and Crypt Of Terror 17 (also April '50) as tieing for the first horror comic. And Marvel Tales 93 from August 1949 is completely ignored in any historical cntext and just "horror/weird" tales. This is utter nonsense and I would LOVE to know the reasoning and motivation behind this. We have Supernatural, Horror and Weird all being used to define the early horror books, but used in such a way as the shift the credit to EC.

Maybe this should be added into our Overstreet Errata List

well this is certainly a helluva way to kick off the collection! There are probably less than 20 horror comics which would cost anywhere near this much for a presentable copy (and those are almost all Ditko & Wolverton issues), so it would be a great way to get your foot in. As far as story wise, avon always left me a little cold, but i never read this one, and its importance is undeniable. I wish i could give you past sales info, but i never went after this book because there were always ones i wanted more & could never drop the $$$ on it.

Since when did they start accepting up to 100 copies in scarce. Didn't it used to be 20-50?

This has always been the Overstreet definition (at least since they added numbers to them). The original scarce definition was along the lines of - books that rarely turn up, but enough do turn up to keep them from fitting in the rare class.

I always thought it was pretty weird to have the definition of scarce say books that rarely turn up, but that aren't rare.

Very rare was always defined as 1-10 exist.

Rare was always 11-20 exist, and then scarce made the big jump to 100 copies.

Oh yeah - the book is really nice looking too.

I've always thought is was undervalued and very tough to

find in grade.

Would definitely ask for a bigger scan though.

I am mulling over the idea of placing a bid. With 9 days left I have plenty of time to think about it. If (and thats a really big if) I do decide to bid, before I do I will definately try to get a larger scan of the book. If that does happen I will post it here to get more advice / input from the experts.

Thanks for the input zilla.

EERIE COMICS #1 (1947 Avon)

What do all of you pre-code horror collectors think about this book?

It looks very nice in the scans.

Overstreet notes include : 1st Supernatural comic; Kubert, Fugitani-a; bondage-c (scarce).

NM 9.4 = $4500

VF/NM 9.0 = $3375

VF 8.0 = $2250

FN 6.0 = $1080

VG 4.0 = $720

Overstreet also lists a number 1 from 1951 that reprints the original number 1. Is there anyway to tell the two apart? Is there anyway that this could be a 1951 copy? The reason that I ask is that the 1951 version is considerably less guide value wise (NM 9.4 = $725).

Some more questions to fuel discussion: Is this book really scarce? Is this a "big time" pre-code book to own? Is it important to the pre-code collector?

grin.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

Overstreet says Fugitani? If it's the same guy I think it is, it's Bob Fujitani, who drew the Hangman for MLJ. Could it be the same guy? Bob signed his work "B. Fuje". I'm curious!

Overstreet says Fugitani? If it's the same guy I think it is, it's Bob Fujitani, who drew the Hangman for MLJ. Could it be the same guy? Bob signed his work "B. Fuje". I'm curious!

While I am new to the GA scene, I would say that it is very possible. A quick look through the Overstreet shows that they have Fuje listed as the artist on Hangman 7(3) as well as Black Hood 9, 10. If they have it spelled incorrectly in these places it is probable that it is incorrect in this case as well.

Definately one to 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the sig example...but more importantly that is one sweet splash page. I had no idea that Pep Comics had such cool art. Are they all that nice. And here I was thinking about giving up comics all together. You may have just saved a collector today.

893applaud-thumb.gif