• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Spray Fixatives be used on Pencil Only Pages?

9 posts in this topic

I wouldn't. They don't tend to spray evenly and often will leave many spots on the page. I had this happen to me when I was doing works in pastel. If you're very careful with the work, you probably don't need a fixative.

Angelo

I spray fixative on every piece of artwork I do. I use Prismacolor final fixative and you can't even tell something has been sprayed when done. Sometimes I look at a piece and can't remember if I sprayed it already or not.

If you use some cheap art store brand maybe you might get spots but I've been using the Prismacolor stuff exclusively for many years without any issues at all.

Do a search of the forums and you'll see this has been discussed already.

I use a workable fixative on graphite illos. Just remember this:

Do NOT spray when the humidity is high (this clogs the nosel and the

chemical inside break down and come out in droplets, not a fine mist.

Hold the fixative at least 6 inches above the illos. and start spraying

from off the illos. working the can back and forth diagonally.

Wait about 5 minutes between each application. You generally only

need two passes. You'll be fine.

I have a few pencil only pieces. I lay a piece of velum on top of the art and put it in the mylar. This stops any direct contact with the art and seems to work nicely.

I have a few pencil only pieces. I lay a piece of velum on top of the art and put it in the mylar. This stops any direct contact with the art and seems to work nicely.

That should work nicely. Just make sure the vellum is acid free.

Of course. :banana: