• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking at re-entering the hobby...can anyone help?

23 posts in this topic

I'm looking at re-entering the hobby (I used to be a smalltime CGC member/dealer) as a collector and I was wondering which route I should take? All my life I have been condition sensitive and extremely picky with whatever I have collected. Anyways I seemed to notice that 6.0's really ain't that bad and rarely go over guide prices...would I have more fun putting together and getting like 500 6.0 Marvels that I really want or 20-25 9.4-9.6's key books that I know I could move much easier if I had too. What got me thinking about this was an issue I really like ,TOS #49 (with Angel). I saw one 9.4 for sale for $3500 on someones site and a 6.0 for sale somewhere else for $50-60 bucks. If I was collecting for myself and not worried about value would I be happy with 6.0's? Thanks for any input in advance.

Jim

This is a very interesting question, and I think it all depends... if you want more books, I think 500 6.0s will make you pretty happy... it doesn't sound like you're a condition nut, so I think you should go the Fine route. And it getting back into something, I can tell you that there's something to trying to accumulate a quantity of books.

I am a condition nut and that is the problem. In my first love of vintage Star Wars prototype collecting I have turned down items that are 1 of a kind because they were in less than my desired NM/M condition and it was not like there was another one that I could buy...I simply have gone without. When I got out of comics 2 years ago to focus on my SW hobby I had great books (9.4 Avengers 4, the Pacific Coast 9.4 ASM #122 and Pacific Coast 9.6 #137, Northland 9.2 ASM #40 etc) I was just thinking I would love to have a lot of Early TOS, FF's and the like instead of just 1 or 2 examples.

Jim

In my opinion, for the "pure collector" the CGC 8.0-8.5 range provides the most bang for the buck for Silver, and if you're careful when buying, you can get books that look 9.0-9.2.

These will be harder to move if you need the cash, but you can get a serious set of Silver Age books (probably VF/Nm or NM- under the raw dealer scale) for a fraction of the cost of hitting the CGC 9.0 and up range.

I know that speculation is rampant, but it amazes me how low prices are on a solid CGC 8.5 Silver Age book, especially since many of these were likely sold a Raw NM, and at Guide multiples.

Thanks for the reminder...I do remember that I was amazed with the quality of an 8.0 book and that some off them looked like most dealers high grade unslabbed NM copies. I appreciate the thought and I'll look into this avenue as well. I was also checking some scans a few minutes ago on Ebay of 7.0 books and they looked really nice with some of them not even hitting guide 6.0 prices.

Jim

I would say purchase a 6.0 or so TOS #49, wait a couple days and see how you feel about it. If the condition nut in you says its not good enough, maybe try an 8.0 or 9.0. If, on the other hand you are happy with the condition, then you are on the right track. Either way, you have learned somthing valuable. My recommendation is don't rush in and spend a large sum until you know for sure what you want.

Just my $0.02

I'm looking at re-entering the hobby (I used to be a smalltime CGC member/dealer) as a collector and I was wondering which route I should take? All my life I have been condition sensitive and extremely picky with whatever I have collected. Anyways I seemed to notice that 6.0's really ain't that bad and rarely go over guide prices...would I have more fun putting together and getting like 500 6.0 Marvels that I really want or 20-25 9.4-9.6's key books that I know I could move much easier if I had too. What got me thinking about this was an issue I really like ,TOS #49 (with Angel). I saw one 9.4 for sale for $3500 on someones site and a 6.0 for sale somewhere else for $50-60 bucks. If I was collecting for myself and not worried about value would I be happy with 6.0's? Thanks for any input in advance.

Jim

I appreciate the question and see the problems in the way you phrased it. You really have to decide, I think, if you are ultimately in it for collecting or investing. You say "If I was collecting for myself and not worried about value would I be happy with 6.0's?" Well, really, only you can decide that.

But you also say "would I have more fun putting together and getting like 500 6.0 Marvels that I really want or 20-25 9.4-9.6's key books that I know I could move much easier if I had too."

This is the real crux. You have to make a "Sydney or the Bush" - aka an "all or nothing" decision. You really have to define why you want back in. For current pleasure or future payback. Until that question is answered, none f your questions can be answered.

PS - I am being sincere - not slamming or trashing. See? The smile reveals this! smile.gif

This is the real crux. You have to make a "Sydney or the Bush" - aka an "all or nothing" decision. You really have to define why you want back in. For current pleasure or future payback. Until that question is answered, none f your questions can be answered.

Man POV where do you pick up aussie sayings. Without being too pedantic though...the actual meaning of the phrase is to give it your best shot. If you don't make it in the city then there is always the bush (country) to return to. grin.gif

I'm constantly picking up silver and early bronze in 8.0 to 9.0 for cheap bucks. The books still look good, are easily readable(no fear of harming grade), and if I want to sell later I'll probably break even on them. I don't try to make a 2nd income on books...if I sell it's to pay bills or just get more spending money for other books.

Man POV where do you pick up aussie sayings. Without being too pedantic though...the actual meaning of the phrase is to give it your best shot.

Well, being a city guy I would have to assume that Sydney would BE my best shot. I would HATE living in the Bush! So to me that does mean my best shot! (Man, get those insects, snakes, etc away from me! Give me a skyscraper to enjoy!)

PS - in the states, Charles Shultz made "Sydney Or The Bush" famous in his Chalrie Brown strip!

PPS - sorry for even attempting to explain that to ya! Totally forgot your place of residence! grin.gif

Quick Points:

1) Regarding making a profit on a book, it has absolutely nothing to do with the grade. It has to do with the PRICE you PAY, and the PRICE you sell it FOR.

You can lose your [!@#%^&^] on CGC NM books if you overpay, and can make a fortune buying lower grade books if you pay 10 cent on the dollar.

2) Regarding condition, I usuallys lower my standards, the more expensive (and/or harder to find) the book is. You can find a CGC VF- books that has surface wear, creases, etc. that DO NOT BREAK COLOR and therefore look to be extremely high grade. Once you get into the FINE range, most books are going to have defects that are easily seen.

3) If you want to buy "raw" Silver-Age books, and are willing to except book that aren't NM, than you shouldn't pay more than 50-60% of guide. Basically, a CGC VF book will usually not reach guide price unless it is a key, so why pay guide for a "raw" copy.

Jim,

Welcome back to this great hobby of reading and collecting comic books. Buy what you like. An 8.0 is as nice as an 9.0 and it will save you a lot of money in the long run. If you're just buying books for yourself and you don't want to spend 4-5X guide, a 6.0 still looks great.

Jim,

Welcome back to this great hobby of reading and collecting comic books. Buy what you like. An 8.0 is as nice as an 9.0 and it will save you a lot of money in the long run. If you're just buying books for yourself and you don't want to spend 4-5X guide, a 6.0 still looks great.

Sometimes when I get really drunk I'll read a 4.0.....I'm so ashamed the next day I can't even look at it.

J.D.

Jim,

Sometimes when I get really drunk I'll read a 4.0.....I'm so ashamed the next day I can't even look at it.

J.D.

Once I woke up the next morning with a coverless lying next to me. Talk about "the morning after the night before"!

I appreciate the question and see the problems in the way you phrased it. You really have to decide, I think, if you are ultimately in it for collecting or investing. You say "If I was collecting for myself and not worried about value would I be happy with 6.0's?" Well, really, only you can decide that.

But you also say "would I have more fun putting together and getting like 500 6.0 Marvels that I really want or 20-25 9.4-9.6's key books that I know I could move much easier if I had too."

PS - I am being sincere - not slamming or trashing. See? The smile reveals this! smile.gif

Pov brings up a really good point. Me, I'm a mid grade collector. HOWEVER when it comes to keys I spend literally hundreds on the nicest copy I can afford and then $20 on the nicest copy of the book I can buy for $20. I have a bunch of super nice Bats books (most of which are either top census or runner up) that I paid nice money for but then I went and bought a G of those same books cheap. It doesn't make sense to me to pay $200 for a F copy when I can get a NM one for $500 . . . .I would make you a bet that the NM will retain value a little better . . . .

DAM

It doesn't make sense to me to pay $200 for a F copy when I can get a NM one for $500 . . . .I would make you a bet that the NM will retain value a little better . . . .

DAM

Easy for you to say....we don't all come from Garden City Mafia money!!.....some of us have to actually work for a.........aw who am I kidding,..I don't work...yeah $500.00 for a NM sounds good to me.

J.D.

It doesn't make sense to me to pay $200 for a F copy when I can get a NM one for $500 . . . .I would make you a bet that the NM will retain value a little better . . . .

DAM

Easy for you to say....we don't all come from Garden City Mafia money!!.....some of us have to actually work for a.........aw who am I kidding,..I don't work...yeah $500.00 for a NM sounds good to me.

J.D.

Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD - I thought you were keeping that quiet till the "Secret Origins" thread tongue.gif

DAM