• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Age?

7 posts in this topic

First - if this hasd alrready happened then I will acknowledge same and appreciate but if it has not - well........read on, MacDonald (or is it Duff?)

OK - this MAY be a stretch but I was looking at that All Star 22 that Panhandle put up in the GA Cigar folder. That patriotic cover with the wide selection of heroes and, especially, HKP's comment about Spectre and WW appearing together, really got my brain going.

In the Atom (aka Atomic) Age the super-heroes were all but dead (with the notable exception of good old DC, who kept them employed). Crime, romance and horror (including "weird" and "supernatural" came to the fore (even Cap had his #75 horror where he appeared in name only on the cover).

My question - should there be an age within GA that acknowledges WWII?

If you look at the covers from pre-WWII and post WWII GA books are quite a bit different from the WWII models. Pre-WWII the superheroes were fighting villains, criminals etc. Post WWII well - energy really seemed to wane and the covers were - well, often kind of boring.

But DURING WWII? Look at a lot of those splash pages Shield put up. Defintiely pre-cursors to the pre-code horror (and yes, probably a tip of the hat to the old pulps). But the energy and sometimes sheer outlandishness (in a fun way) of comics seemed to really hit its peak there, not to be repeated until pre-code horror hit its stride.

So with this less than worthy and highly abbreviated set of thoughts, I have to wonder. Am I alone in thinking that GA should be formally broken up into Pre WWII, WWII and Post WWII ages?

And again, if this is already out there - well - sorry for the department of redundancy department!

Always happy to recycle a post.

One of the least satisfying aspects of my proposed division is the 1950-1951 transition, where you have All-Star Comics (late Golden Age) and the early ECs (Atomic Age) co-existing. Also, it does not adequately address the pre-EC horror and crime books you know so well Pov. But it's a shot!

Always happy to recycle a post.

One of the least satisfying aspects of my proposed division is the 1950-1951 transition, where you have All-Star Comics (late Golden Age) and the early ECs (Atomic Age) co-existing. Also, it does not adequately address the pre-EC horror and crime books you know so well Pov. But it's a shot!

Man Zonker I really remember that post! I agreed with you - and it still IS a hell of an attempt. I acquiesce to your foresight! And agree with your WWII 100%!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

So let's hear from the GA folks who had NOT seen your wise post!