• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

insects and rodents eating our comics.....RAT CHEW THREAD !!

104 posts in this topic

My all time favorite condition flaw is 'rat chew' :headbang:. Spine stress lines and color breaking creases are zzz

When this Adventure 40 sold on eBay about 2 years ago, I just couldn't get the image out of my head......so let's ride that wave, and add to it!

This thread is dedicated to the posting of insect and rodent damage to comic books....preferrably Golden Age, so we can all cry together as a group. Here is my contribution:

Steve

I know the owner of this book. He got me good one day when he removed it from the bag and told me to take a sniff. He knows I am a notorious comic sniffer. I nearly heaved up my dinner when I smelled this book. It is easily the most disgusting smell I have ever encountered. Not sure what all went down with that book, but I hope to never be near it again. :sick:

[font:Arial]Two termite-damaged books from the River City Collection. Some of the books that had been stored outside had essentially been reduced to dust. So, by comparison, I guess these survived pretty well (you've got to look carefully to find the chew on the Venus 18). I'm not crying, though -- if not for the critter damage, these two would almost certainly be in somebody else's collection![/font]

AST06-RC.jpg

VEN18-RC.jpg

It is easily the most disgusting smell I have ever encountered. :sick:

now come on bill...I seem to recall a certain "bathroom" incident that surely smelled "worse" :baiting:

gator

Gotta say I can't find the chew on the Venus book. Where is it?

And since it's has that terrible chew, wanna sell it to me? :grin:

it appears to be silverfish damage?

gator

Venus 18 - what a great cover (gotta get me one of those)!

You and everyone else :pullhair: Considering the copy that sold for $220 on eBay last week looked like, the person buying the CLink one for $280 got a great deal. I should have been looking on CLink earlier because I would have gladly bought that one at the price.

To stay on topic, I have several Shadow Mag purchased from Fuelman with the same bores through the books. Luckily none are so big that it eats whole words on the inside. Look at the hand on Vengeance is Mine and at the bottom right on Treasure Trail -

41221-ShadowJanuary1937.jpg.3d3d729d6f3744188c282b30ea0c59bf.jpg

41222-ShadowMay1937.jpg.16cc28e72958828f03108559d06138be.jpg

[font:Arial]Left sleeve of the right-most ghoul, about elbow high.[/font]

Crop.jpg

I actually did see that spot but thought it looked like a pencil mark in the original scan. The close up has better definition!

Looks terrible, sell it to me! :baiting:

And what's the deal with those pesky rodents feeling like they have to sample nearly every book in the stack? Can't they finish one entire issue before moving on to the next?

The following examples are from a collection of generally lightly handled books that came out of Petaluma, CA (once known as the "Egg Capitol of the World"). The books were stored in a chicken coop, with about half suffering some type of critter and/or moisture damage. Nice books otherwise, and from a very tough period (1954-56) for Atlas and DC fantasy titles.

JIM021-PET.jpg

JIUW033-PET.jpg

ST037-PET.jpg

UNC032-PET.jpg

How about kitten chew instead of insects and rodents?

The corner of my copy of Jimbo...

Fiction-House-002.jpg

... now looks like this...

Fiction-House-001.jpg

... thanks to this:

rory.jpg

We have allowed her to live, but she isn't allowed near any comics anymore.

rory.jpg

There's evil written all over her little, fluffy face.

Named after this character?

(even a feline pose here!)

Jack

Actually, her name is Rory, short for Rory-Spot, because the markings on her back look like a Rorschach blot.

100_1087.jpg