• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

insects and rodents eating our comics.....RAT CHEW THREAD !!

104 posts in this topic

:bump:

This is one of my favorite threads.

I don't know why, but looking at rat-chewed comics just makes me giggle. :D

Sadly, many of the pics in this thread are no longer active - maybe the original contributors can update them?

Anyway, just found this beauty in a new holder.

Post 'em if you got 'em. :headbang:

DIqoh6I.jpg

hzZMgn6.jpg

I've never understood how permissive the grading on rat chew is. Had I taken a pair of scissors and cut off about as much as the rats had chewed, I don't know that the book would hit 3.0.

Good point. Maybe human intervention is frowned upon more. Who knew we are lower than rats.

Sadly, many of the pics in this thread are no longer active - maybe the original contributors can update them?

DIqoh6I.jpg

hzZMgn6.jpg

That's not rat chew; it's damage from the new holder! :insane:

9F1E4324-6601-4CB4-8DF7-7445A382D246-993-0000006434F9CF85_zps259ee10c.jpg

I just died inside a bit

That looks a lot like the slabbed BB28 that the guy shot with a shotgun.

Most rats simply start from an outside corner and work their way in.

This rat appears to have an artistic flair to his cravings.

DIqoh6I.jpg

hzZMgn6.jpg

That's not rat chew; it's damage from the new holder! :insane:

:signfunny:

A quick story from a comic con some years ago. I asked to look at a Golden Age book off of the dealers wall rack (I cant recall which one).

A beetle had gotten in to the bag, chewed several small holes through the book, left some excrement by the holes and died (it was still in the bag). I pointed out this to the dealer and perhaps he should lower his asking price on the book given the damage. He snapped back at me that the book had already been priced with the damage being taken in to account.

I told him it was very generous of him to include the dead beetle and its excrement as part of the price, handed him back the book and moved along to another booth.

A quick story from a comic con some years ago. I asked to look at a Golden Age book off of the dealers wall rack (I cant recall which one).

A beetle had gotten in to the bag, chewed several small holes through the book, left some excrement by the holes and died (it was still in the bag). I pointed out this to the dealer and perhaps he should lower his asking price on the book given the damage. He snapped back at me that the book had already been priced with the damage being taken in to account.

I told him it was very generous of him to include the dead beetle and its excrement as part of the price, handed him back the book and moved along to another booth.

Then what did Richie say? :D