• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ultimate Universe

Will you continue reading any Ultimate titles once Bendis quits?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Will you continue reading any Ultimate titles once Bendis quits?

28 posts in this topic

Several times on this forum, posts have been made concerning the demise of the Ultimate books once Bendis finally moves on. It has led me to wonder how many forum members will continue to read Marvel's Ultimate line once there is a change in the creative teams.

I am really just curious if anyone on the forums is going to give the next writer (or writers) a chance or just stop cold turkey once Bendis moves on. I for one plan on at least continuing thru 3 or 4 issues post Bendis before making my decision. And no, I have absolutely no idea when Bendis is leaving the Ultimate line.

One more thing. I am not asking this from a value/speculation point of view. Just a read/enjoy point of view.

I enjoy the trades and would probably give them a shot, but besides the trades I just can't keep an interest. These "pamphlets" are so obviously written for the eventual TPB that it's disgusting .. . .

DAM

I agree with you on the "pamphlet" observation. For some reason this aspect of the Ultimate books does not bother me. However, If every comic I bought were written in the same way as the Ultimate line then I would be upset.

Ohhh...I had not thought about the undecided crowd. Guess I should've finished that first cup of coffee before throwing out the poll!

As far as the I don't care crowd, I did put some thought in there. I assumed (uh oh) that if someone did not care then they would keep reading the Ultimate books regardless of who was writing them. If that is the case, then the answer would be "yes." If someone does not care because they do not read the books then, not to be rude or anything, this poll is not for them.

My apologies if I excluded anyone. Certainly was not intentional.

Russ

I will keep reading it as long as the next set of creators handle the comics as well as Bendis, Millar, Hitch, etc. have handled it. In other words, as soon as the quality of the stories decline I will take them off of my pull list. I will, however, give whomever takes over the creative reigns a few issues before I make the "ultimate" decision.

I agree with you on the "pamphlet" observation. For some reason this aspect of the Ultimate books does not bother me. However, If every comic I bought were written in the same way as the Ultimate line then I would be upset.

I have seriously given up on all new books (reading that is, except for Hush) because of this effect - and IMO USM is the worst. I swear that during the whole Venom saga storyline there would be parts where the book started in mid sentence and ended in mid sentence . . . unreal . . .

Batman always leaves things unresolved but in more of a cliff hanger type of way and knowledge about the characters / storyline, etc isn't as much of an issue when compared to USM.

It just really frustrates me because some of those USM TPBs read like peotry but the issues just really blow.

Oh well . . .

I actually meant "don't care" as in they just don't care - they aren't reading the Ultimates books right now, so Bendis' departure doesn't affect them.

If you do not care, are not reading them, and feel that it does not affect you then why would you want to participate in the poll?

confused.gif

Because everyone likes to participate in a new poll... and when you are polling, it's always a good idea to cover the entire spectrum of possible answers.

...and I do care... I enjoy Bendis' work immensely, but if he left Ultimate Spider-Man I probably wouldn't say yes or no right away... I would want to see what his replacement would do first before making that decision.

Kev

I disagree on the worst idea ever part. I think the potential for a disaster was there, but the series of books have been handled very well and as a result been a pleasure to read.

The main advantage to the Ultimate line is the ability of young people to jump in on these characters at a ground level. Kids could careless about what spiderman was doing in the 60's, 70', and 80's. I can attest to this first hand. The kids that run with my son see an ultimate book and they grab it. Throw an old spidey out and it is a novelty at best. Marvel was reaching for a target audience and from what I have seen they hit. To them, the appearance of Doc Ock in USM is a "first." The appearance of the Green Goblin is a transition from the silver screen to a comic book. USM, as compared to the old ASM, is slick and cool. Kids like that. In USM, Spidey is 15 and dealing with school, bullies, girls, and authority figures. They relate. He is not married, divorced or any other overtly annoying adult [!@#%^&^]. He is a kid with cool powers.

Russ

Nice question Einstein. Why would Bendis leaving USM have any effect on the sales of other books like Ultimates or UXM? 893frustrated.gif

The proper wording would be:

After Bendis Leaves USM, Will You Continue to Buy It?

Yes

No

Undecided

Don't Buy that Crapola in the First Place!

I will continue to buy them as long as I still enjoy reading them. Ultimate Universe is the MOST popular ongoing series whether you like it or not as evidenced by their consistent top ten sales in previews and Wizard Magazines for the past 2-½ years. The Ultimate line made a lot of new collectors including myself. The series linked me and relate more to the golden, silver and bronze age books. IMHO without these ongoing series, newcomers in the comic world would not have appreciated the beauty and importance of golden, silver and bronze age books. From the perspective of newcomers, the Ultimate Line is the key that made comic books popular again

I do not read Wizard or keep track of what the best selling comics are so I cannot comment on that aspect of your post. I do agree with you on the draw the Ultimate books have for newcomers and the potential to generate interest in the older comics. Nice observation!

Russ

Nice question Einstein. Why would Bendis leaving USM have any effect on the sales of other books like Ultimates or UXM? 893frustrated.gif

The proper wording would be:

After Bendis Leaves USM, Will You Continue to Buy It?

Yes

No

Undecided

Don't Buy that Crapola in the First Place!

I vote:

"Don't Buy that Crapola in the First Place! grin.gif

Ummm...I wanted to take part in this new poll! frown.gif

sorry.gif