• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Timely Superhero list

22 posts in this topic

Listed below is a list of all the Timely and Atlas Superhero comics from 1939 to 1956. Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 is not listed because it was published independantly, but it should be considered an honorary Timely. No Timely magazines are listed either, strictly comic books.

All Select Comics #1-11.

All Winners Comics #1-19, 21, 2/1.

Amazing Comics #1.

Amazing Mysteries #32.

Astonishing Comics #3-6.

Blonde Phantom #12-22.

Captain America #1-78, annual #1.

Comedy Comics #9-11.

Complete Comics #2.

Daring (Mystery) Comics #1-12.

Human Torch #(1)2-38.

Joker Comics #1.

Kid Komics #1-10.

Marvel Boy #1 & 2.

Marvel Mystery Comics #1-92, annual #1.

Marvel Tales #97.

Men's Adventures #27 & 28.

Miss America Comics #1.

Miss Fury #1-8.

Mystic Comics #1-10 vol2 #1-4.

Namora #1-3.

Red Raven Comics #1

Sub-mariner Comics #1-42.

Sun Girl #1-3.

Tough Kid Squad #1.

USA #1-17.

Venus #1-19.

Witness #1.

Young Allies #1-20.

Young Men #24-28.

That is a total of only 426 Timely and Atlas books to complete an entire collection. So why have so few done it? Even Steve Geppi did not have a complete collection when he sold his collection last year in Heritage, and he had been collecting Timely's for years. Could Timely's actually be scarce??? By my best guess, they are about 1 to 40 as scarce as DC, meaning for every 40 DC Golden Age books that are discovered, only 1 Timely is found. I hope this list has been helpful.

Timely

Wow, that is good stuff, thanks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess the annuals are the toughest books to find? I've only known one collector who claimed to have a set, and although I never saw it and am somewhat skeptical, he did have lots of good books. I've managed to pick up around 40-50 by focusing on '43-45 WWII Schomburg covers (like everyone else no doubt!). Anyhow, before ebay I would be lucky to get one or two a year, and things didn't get much better at first on ebay, although over the last 1-2 years there do seem to be more. Nothing like the plethora of DC's however...

Hi Woo, I do not know of any other appearances by Subbie either with Sub-mariner or in solo action. It does seem strange that Subbie was not at least made Sub-mariner's side kick in "All Winners Comics" since Bucky and Toro were in those stories and also featured on many of the covers! Here is my copy of Kid Komics #1. CGC 9.0 copy!

Timely

280869-KID1.jpg.38344e9e0d6b6bea60a5e65cd3af7919.jpg

Listed below is a list of all the Timely and Atlas Superhero comics from 1939 to 1956. Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 is not listed because it was published independantly, but it should be considered an honorary Timely. No Timely magazines are listed either, strictly comic books.

All Select Comics #1-11.

All Winners Comics #1-19, 21, 2/1.

Amazing Comics #1.

Amazing Mysteries #32.

Astonishing Comics #3-6.

Blonde Phantom #12-22.

Captain America #1-78, annual #1.

Comedy Comics #9-11.

Complete Comics #2.

Daring (Mystery) Comics #1-12.

Human Torch #(1)2-38.

Joker Comics #1.

Kid Komics #1-10.

Marvel Boy #1 & 2.

Marvel Mystery Comics #1-92, annual #1.

Marvel Tales #97.

Men's Adventures #27 & 28.

Miss America Comics #1.

Miss Fury #1-8.

Mystic Comics #1-10 vol2 #1-4.

Namora #1-3.

Red Raven Comics #1

Sub-mariner Comics #1-42.

Sun Girl #1-3.

Tough Kid Squad #1.

USA #1-17.

Venus #1-19.

Witness #1.

Young Allies #1-20.

Young Men #24-28.

That is a total of only 426 Timely and Atlas books to complete an entire collection. So why have so few done it? Even Steve Geppi did not have a complete collection when he sold his collection last year in Heritage, and he had been collecting Timely's for years. Could Timely's actually be scarce??? By my best guess, they are about 1 to 40 as scarce as DC, meaning for every 40 DC Golden Age books that are discovered, only 1 Timely is found. I hope this list has been helpful.

Timely

Kind of intrigued at your list, so here are some comments.

1) I don't know if I would include Joker #1 on the list. It has a story with a character called Stuporman, but it basically a humor story. Now if humor is a valid superhero category, then I would vote for Powerhouse Pepper as a Timely superhero. But then that would add a bunch more books to your want list and that would mean I would have more competition for those Basil Wolverton gems I need.

2) Captain America #75 isn't a superhero comic. His name is on the cover, but if I remember correct, his likeness isn't anywhere in the book. This is an early Timely/Atlas horror comic worth collecting on it's own merits. I do agree that it should be on any completist Timely collector's list as who wants a 1 issue gap in the run.

3) Venus. Ahhhh, lovely Venus (especially when drawn by Bill Everett). Not really a superhero book. It crossed genre from love to fantasy to horror. I guess you can leave her on the list. She sure looked good in a costume.

4) The Witness. Kind of falls in that same category as Venus, but doesn't look nearly as good in a dress.

5) The two Canadian Timely annuals. I can understand why they are on the list, even though they are Canadian in origin. But, if you include them, shouldn't you include Collosal Comics #5 that is shown in Gerber (for the sake of completeness). It uses the cover of Namora #1. I am guessing that the contents of Namora #1 are on the inside. It has a cover price of 25 cents, so it may actually contain the contents of two comics. Who knows what the other might be? Could just be a rebinding of two unsold issues, but I tend to doubt it. (See the recent post I made about the Canadian Phantom Lady #13 I have that seems to be related to this comic.) Has anybody seen this comic?

colossal_5.jpg

6) With respect to "foreign" Timely's, are you familiar with O Global Mensal Juvenil? It is a Brazilian comic that came out during World War II. I have an issue from August 1944 with a Human Torch cover. Maybe I should post a discussion of it as a seperate thread. I recall that there was an article about these comics a while back in Comic Book Marketplace. Anyone remember the CBM issue number? These were really unusual comics.

Well, enough. Good luck on finding all the Timely's you are looking for. They've always been hard to find.

ECFANMAN

I would not consider Collosus #5 a Timely. It was not published by Timely or distributed in the USA. It's not listed in Overstreet and who knows what's underneath that cover!?!?

I feel the rest on your list should be in every complete Timely collection. The CA #75 may not have Cap in it, but it's his book, his title.

I know nothing about the Brazilian book you mentioned.

There is also a PULP issue of Marvel Science that has a 4(?) page Human Torch story that should be considered, but then again it's a pulp and not a comic...

Timely.

The November 1940 Marvel Stories pulp has a 1 page Human Torch strip (black and white) which is basically an ad for Marvel Comics. (Yes they call it Marvel Comics, not Marvel Mystery Comics.) That issue also has a number of Kirby drawings that should put it on a Timely collector's list.

I thought the Timely annuals were Canadian? Did Timely actually publish and distribute them in the US?

ECFANMAN

The Marvel Mystery b/w annual (1944) was published in the USA but seems to have been distributed only in Canada.

Marvel Stories Vol. 2 #2 pulp had a full pg. Human Torch story. Every other illustration in the pulp was drawn by Simon/Kirby Nov. 1940. news.gif

I have a Cap #75. At least most of it.

I bought a big box of 1950's stuff (cheap). Most of it was loose covers AND loose interior pages. With a bit of effort I was able to piece together 50-100 complete pre-code horror comics and a bunch of coverless/incomplete books. Never was able to match up a back cover for the Cap 75, though, so I printed out a scaled up scan from one of the Heritage auctions. It isn't pretty, but it still reads well.

The GCD database was extremely helpful in piecing together books, although now, the "search by story title" feature isn't enabled. I still have a six inch stack of unidentifed "parts".

I say, take pre-code any way you can get it.

ECFANMAN