• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would chips on the Poly-bag of a Superman v2 #75 affect grade?

13 posts in this topic

When sending in a copy of the "Bagged Superman v2 #75" to CGC, would things like the appearance of the bag itself be considered when grading the actual book that is contained inside, as well as the collector incentives that are also contained inside the bag? hm

th_Superman75BBlackbagMemColedition-Fb.jpgth_Superman75BBlackbagMemColedition-Ba.jpg

Please note that this bag is unopened, and that permission would be given to CGC to open the bag for grading purposes. It has also been stored with a board/bag after purchase.

I realize that some collectors may not feel that this book warrants "Slabbing", but I really want to know the answer to this.

I had originally posted this question to the "Ask CGC" forum, only to never see it get posted by the moderator (I guess they felt it didn't meet the criteria for that forum), hence my reasons for asking here...

Thanks guys

the bag itself has nothing to do with the grade of the book!.. if you want to sell it "bagged" then of course it would affect the "price" you would get (if the bag is damaged it would get a lesser price then a "mint" bag) as for the grade or getting it graded (by CGC I assume). the bag itself will be ripped open and not returned so it doesnt matter at all .

"buy the book, not the bag"

That is what I thought, I mainly wanted a second opinion, before sending it off for slabbing. I had to stand in line to get one of the last ones when it was first released.

I am a firm believer in your statement, but also add "Buy the Book and not the Slab". Pretty much the same with coins as well.

I got $$$ in my eyes when I saw the latest valuation of this book in Wizard, but if that happened everytime, I wouldn't have anything left to claim bragging rights to.. :D

I really appreciate the responses guys... (thumbs u

They publishers keep sticking it to us collectors aka consumers by killing off the hero, and then bringing them back one way or another...

But that is a whole drifferent thread I believe....

I am floored at the prices this book is fetching!!! :o

Is it because this is similar to the polybagged Spider-Man #1? Where the bag creates an indent on the book and therefore doesn't grade highly (without pressing)??? I would assume the other items in the bag may affect more than the Spider-Man #1.

John :popcorn:

What ARE the prices it is fetching ?? ..............BH.........

Hurm. I just had a quick check. Looks like it's still selling for less than it was about a week after it's release.

Back then, I took mine out of the bag and carefully stored all the bits seperately, because I'd heard that the pre-polybagged comics were bagged in cheap acidic plastic :o

Census has 101 copies in 9.8!