• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sfcityduck

• Last visited

6 Followers

Personal Information

Recent Profile Visitors

3,982 profile views
  1. The main flaw of EC was too many words. The words could drown out great artists and prevent the pics from dictating the pace. The exceptions being Kurtzman and, in a few iconic stories, Krigstein. Maybe these guys were trying to emulate Kristen but they failed spectacularly.
  2. Early Comic Code Authority Pamphlet propaganda regarding the 1954 version of the Code (probably dates to 1960-1961). This thing is big. While it folds into a tri-fold, when unfolded, as I store it, it is bigger than a GA comic - it is magazine sized. These things are super-cool items to have in a collection that includes pre-Code, SOTI, or comic history material. This is probably the best of the CCA pamphlets I've seen. Early CCA pamphlets get strong prices when they pop-up. Later pamphlets are smaller and less interesting. Price: $100 $90 and I will consider offers.
  3. Speaking of teenagers and sex, here's a classic but little known gem: Army & Navy Fun Parade 54 (Harvey, April 1952) featuring the most outrageous story that Dr. Wertham never mentioned: "I Joined a Teen-Age Sex Club!" (reprinted from First Love #13 (Harvey, July 1949). Also includes pin-ups of Ruth Roman and Virginia Gibson as well as many racy cartoons. Great cheaper way to get a classic story. Price: $90 $70 $60 but will consider offers.
  4. SOLD! Pep 132 - An entry level beater copy of an issue you rarely see cheap. What can you say about the innuendo on that cover? Well, Archie's lying to his GF is one thought. Whose snake and whose hills? Price: $30 and will consider offers. No returns on this one. Its an entry level beater. But a great way to get the cover cheaply.
  5. Stalmmannen no. 23 (Oct. 1950) - Swedish comic with <cough> unique cover that greatly implies that Wertham was right about Bruce/Batman. Reprints Superman (Prankster), Pow Wow Smith, and Batman & Robin stories in Swedish. You buy it for the awesome innuendo cover. Presents really well, but staples have been removed because they were rusted with transfer near the staple holes top and bottom. No effort has been made to clean off the oxidation or to replace the staples. This is entry level innuendo at a discounted price of $90 $80 $70 but will consider offers.
  6. Our Navy (Mid-April 1945) one of the earliest, if not the earliest, photo covers showing someone reading a comic - albeit not necessarily in the most flattering context. The "Gyp Joint" is the ship's store. Great Shadow skull cover, Young Allies, Startling, Three Ring Comics, Camp Comics, Comic Capers, etc. on cover. I'd grade this a G which presents better. But these are hard to find. Price: $40 $35 $30 but will consider offers.
  7. Frederic Wertham, M.D., "Psychiatry and Censorship" separately bound journal editorial with his handwritten correction on last page (SOTIcollector's inscribed copy has the same handmade correction. Ironically, this is an anti-censorship piece from the American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. XI, No. 3 (April 1957). A cool bit of SOTI related history for only $150 $120 $100 but will consider offers. Pics:
  8. SOLD! The famous/imfamous SOTI related book "Youth in Danger" by Sen. Robert C. Hendrickson of N.J., the Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency. The book features his thoughts on Horror Comics and the famous Senate testimony of William Gaines and Frederick Wertham. It's a must have for SOTI collectors but few can find them. The last copy I sold went to SOTIcollector. This is a more affordable copy due to its condition. Check out the pics: Price: $250 $200 but will consider offers. Back Cover (the money shot): Spine: Front Cover: Inside front cover: Interior: Inside back cover: Surface foxing to page edges:
  9. RECAP: SOTI related book "Youth in Danger" by Sen. Robert C. Hendrickson of N.J., the Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency Frederic Wertham, M.D., "Psychiatry and Censorship" separately bound journal editorial with his handwritten correction on last page from the American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. XI, No. 3 (April 1957) $150 $120 $100! Our Navy (Mid-April 1945) one of the earliest, if not the earliest, photo covers showing someone reading a comic $40 $35 $30! Stalmmannen no. 23 (Oct. 1950) - Swedish comic with <cough> unique cover that greatly implies that Wertham was right about Bruce/Batman $90 $80 $70! Pep 132 infamous "snake hills" innuendo cover Army & Navy Fun Parade 54 (Harvey, April 1952) featuring the most outrageous story that Dr. Wertham never mentioned: "I Joined a Teen-Age Sex Club!" $90 $70 $60! Comic Code Authority Pamphlet propaganda regarding the 1954 version of the Code (probably dates to 1960-1961) $100 $90! General Rules: I reserve the right to not sell to anyone I deem shady. First "take" in the thread wins. A "take" in the thread trumps any and all PM negotiations until the post has been updated as sold in the thread. Payment: I prefer checks, mo, and Zelle. I will consider other payment options. Shipping: Shipping is included. Domestic goes by USPS Priority Flat Rate envelope or medium box. International shipping unavailable unless you convince me otherwise. Returns: I take them upon notification within 3 days of receipt. EXCEPT, all sales on CGC graded books are final.
  10. The hallmarks of a great archive are mat paper and more muted colors than we see on a lot of efforts. For example, look at the mat paper section of the Shazam Archives vol. 1 wherein they reprint the Flash ashcan on cream mat paper. It's a thing of beauty. The Barks library is superior to almost all Archives because they print it on mat paper and use flat, somewhat more muted, color to simulate reading on newsprint. The Nelvana and Jonny Canuck archives have both beautiful color and B&W reproduction on mat paper. Yet, many archives are printed on overly slick and white paper with garish coloring ala the Marvel Masterworks. Or archives where they use modern coloring techniques which look unnatural for material that was printed using flat color. There are some examples of high quality scans, but most scanned material is total over yellow dreck (looking at you PS Artbooks). The strips have made out much better with LOAC's Terry and Fantagraphics' Prince Valiant and Peanuts setting the standards. Plenty of other very worthwhile reprint material. We are in the Golden Age of classic reprints. My big next up is the Sky Masters of the Space Force Complete Sundays coming out via Zoop.
  11. Does she have any Rice or Gearhart or other California arts and crafts woodblocks hanging around waiting for buyers?
  12. Do you have any idea what will happen to her collection? I assume she had some sort of plan for the collection for when she died. It will be interesting to find out what it was.