• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

I think there are plenty of buyers who will pay a larger premium, provided the white pages are also accompanied by well preserved white cover paper and rich cover inks, along with a nicely registered cover. Singling out one characteristic of comic preservation at the expense of all the other important ones is an exercise in futility.

As promised, the whole shebang!!

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

(worship)

OMG!!! It puts my own (mostly low to mid-grade) JIM with Thor collection to shame. This was due to having bought most of those issues way back when I was just a kid/teenager during the early-mid 1980's when I had very limited funds and alI I cared about back then was just completing that run. Just so long as the books were complete and in collectible shape (definitely not poor or fair). I was so happy once I had that accomplished, that thereafter, I did not think about or bother to do any upgrading at all. If only I'd been alot more picky about the grades back then when the price spreads between low-, mid- and high-grades weren't that great. Although this would only have meant a difference of a few dollars, as a kid, I was watching every single dollar (even quarter), since I was focusing more on quantity rather than quality. :juggle:

I did manage to acquire the bigger fish (ie. JIM#'s 83 to 90) during the 1990's, though none of them in high grade.

Now when I look at today's going prices for all those books in high grade, epecially CGC-slabbed, I still can't be bothered to upgrade as there's always some other (key) book that I don't have that I want to buy.

Oh well... :frustrated:

I think there are plenty of buyers who will pay a larger premium, provided the white pages are also accompanied by well preserved white cover paper and rich cover inks, along with a nicely registered cover. Singling out one characteristic of comic preservation at the expense of all the other important ones is an exercise in futility.

Good advice, thanks. It makes sense to try and find a balance of characteristics, and not just maintaining a focus on page quality. I understand how many collectors will pay a premium for white pages or for a pedigree. The turnover of the higher grade books is pretty low, so deciding what price to pay is more of an art than science. I decided to subscribe to GPA to delve down into the numbers realized, but with such a low turnover, particularly in the low census number books, it hasn't helped much thus far.

Ultimately, the mid grade and higher grade collectors drive the market. My 6.5 purchase has already shown up in the GPA, (a 9.0 not yet). The prices we pay set the benchmark. In my observation, quality mid grade books are fetching near Overstreet, with VF-VF/NM a multiple of guide, 9.2 and above it's off to the races!

For now, I will confine my aspirations to 7.0-9.0 :)

I can finally join Korvac with a complete set of slabbed JIMs as I finished off my set with a purchase of JIM Annual 1 tonight. This makes the fifth complete set listed on the registry. Besides Korvac, Schmell, Scott and someone with a lowish graded slabbed set have complete runs listed.

It was the JIM books that got me started collecting slabs as JIM 83 was the first slab I bought. From there I decided I wanted to get all the JIMs which grew into my current project of trying to get all the 1961-65 Marvel Super Heroes in 8.0+ slabs with Offwhite or better pages (40 books left).

While my set is nowhere near as high grade as Schmell's or Korvac's I am happy with it. Of my JIMs 32 are 8.0, 10 are 8.5 and 2 are 9.0. As I started the JIMs off before my overall project quest I was not as focused on PQ for some of my first purchases and have 5 with C/OW (90, 91, 104, 111, 115) pages and 1 with LT/OW pages (#86 unfortunately). I may upgrade these 6 issues but other than the 86 not in a rush to do so.

Congrats on completing the run! I doubt that I'll accomplish that for at least a few years. Acquiring a copy of 83 first was a great idea. I shudder to think how much it will cost if I wait too long! a run of 8.5 or 9.0 is going to get harder to complete.

I can see a mid-grade thread entitled "See, that wasn't too painful." and later on (I hope) "9.0's not bad."

Congrats on completing the run! I doubt that I'll accomplish that for at least a few years. Acquiring a copy of 83 first was a great idea. I shudder to think how much it will cost if I wait too long! a run of 8.5 or 9.0 is going to get harder to complete.

I can see a mid-grade thread entitled "See, that wasn't too painful." and later on (I hope) "9.0's not bad."

Heck 8.0's not that bad and not as easy to put together as it sounds. Ignoring the financial issues there are only 15 copies of JIM 84 graded 8.0 or better. Korvac and Schmell have 2 of the 8 copies graded 8.5+ and I doubt they are for sale. Only 21 copies of JIM 91 are graded 8.0 or better.

I find that there is this misconception that Silver Age Marvels are plentiful in high grade. That is certainly the case for some titles and issues but when you start looking at JIM, ST, SGT Fury, TTA (#35 only has 15 copies in 8+) that is just not the case. There are 34 issues of the 323 Superhero Marvel Comics between 1961-65 that have 30 or less copies of 8+. Likely more when you consider some copies have been pressed and regraded and the old lables are not always returned. This is over 10% of the issues from the first 5 years of Marvel and much higher than 10% if you just look at 1961-1963.

I can finally join Korvac with a complete set of slabbed JIMs as I finished off my set with a purchase of JIM Annual 1 tonight. This makes the fifth complete set listed on the registry. Besides Korvac, Schmell, Scott and someone with a lowish graded slabbed set have complete runs listed.

It was the JIM books that got me started collecting slabs as JIM 83 was the first slab I bought. From there I decided I wanted to get all the JIMs which grew into my current project of trying to get all the 1961-65 Marvel Super Heroes in 8.0+ slabs with Offwhite or better pages (40 books left).

While my set is nowhere near as high grade as Schmell's or Korvac's I am happy with it. Of my JIMs 32 are 8.0, 10 are 8.5 and 2 are 9.0. As I started the JIMs off before my overall project quest I was not as focused on PQ for some of my first purchases and have 5 with C/OW (90, 91, 104, 111, 115) pages and 1 with LT/OW pages (#86 unfortunately). I may upgrade these 6 issues but other than the 86 not in a rush to do so.

Well, now I know who beat me out of that JIM Ann 1 on Heritage tonight. :baiting: Congrats! That's also the last one that I need. Though that will just complete my run, I still need a half dozen upgrades to have the whole run in 7.0+.

Yeah, my copy of 84 was a 3.0, and a British copy at that :)

I doubt I'll have the discipline to complete a run with every copy rated 9.0 and above--unless I get a deal on a copy of 84 & 90...I've challenged myself to acquire an 8.5 or 9.0 of 85, but 83 & 84 I suspect I'll waver on price in the final hours of a high profile auction.

From the reading I've done on this thread and elsewhere, an incremental approach is a tried and true method to complete a run (Korvac's storied undercopies would be my keepers) and I'm ok with having several 7.5 lows and 9.2 highs.

I can't blame other collectors for holding on to the 9.4-9.8 copies. If I had the highest CGC graded copy in the run, I'd be like Scrooge McDuck in his vault. I imagine being at a bank with a safety deposit box...if I actually let slip out a "Muwahhahaha!" people might think I was robbing the place!

Yeah, my copy of 84 was a 3.0, and a British copy at that :)

I doubt I'll have the discipline to complete a run with every copy rated 9.0 and above--unless I get a deal on a copy of 84 & 90...I've challenged myself to acquire an 8.5 or 9.0 of 85, but 83 & 84 I suspect I'll waver on price in the final hours of a high profile auction.

From the reading I've done on this thread and elsewhere, an incremental approach is a tried and true method to complete a run (Korvac's storied undercopies would be my keepers) and I'm ok with having several 7.5 lows and 9.2 highs.

I can't blame other collectors for holding on to the 9.4-9.8 copies. If I had the highest CGC graded copy in the run, I'd be like Scrooge McDuck in his vault. I imagine being at a bank with a safety deposit box...if I actually let slip out a "Muwahhahaha!" people might think I was robbing the place!

The incremental approach is the one that I took. I was fortunate to pick up most of the run before Thor really took off with the movie hype. In looking at the census, copies have been pouring in over the last year 7.0 and above. 90 is still difficult but about about a dozen high grade copies have been added to the census in the last year. The truly toughest books are 84 and 91. Both of those are very challenging.

Well, now I know who beat me out of that JIM Ann 1 on Heritage tonight. :baiting: Congrats! That's also the last one that I need. Though that will just complete my run, I still need a half dozen upgrades to have the whole run in 7.0+.

How much do you think we have cost each other over the past 3 years as we both went after the JIM books?

This annual was the latest case. I paid about $25-40 more than I wanted too and I guess you bid it up as well. Funny we both wound up needing the same last book.

I prefer not to think about it. lol

Honestly, may not be that bad as my cut off was 7.0 and I believe yours was 8.0. The annual I was willing to overpay for it because it was the grade that I wanted, but

It does have a miswrap that made me not go crazy. I probably cost you 15 bucks or so. I'm glad you were able to complete your run. Now you can upgrade and sell me your undercopies.

Congrats on completing a great set of a great run! :applause::headbang: (thumbs u VF or better as the benchmark is a high standard for JIM, especially from #83-95. And the shipping to Hong Kong alone!! :o

I think prices will appreciate more. The trailer to the movie looks really good and the increased exposure can only help a character like Thor. If a movie seen by millions only pulls in 20 new high grade collectors and several hundred low/, mid grade collectors that would be huge for the books.

I started collecting back in the early eighties as a kid, and being a fan of Norse mythology made me gravitate towards Thor. The Walt Simonson run starting with #337 really shook up that title (I know, he did some art for Thor in the 200's somewhere).

I think we're all wondering how many new collectors will begin seeking to complete runs of JIM. Will it be similar to the run up of Iron Man following those films? Maybe.

I hope there will be a lot of new and renewed interest in JIM, but perversely, I hope it stays muted until *after* I complete my run :) That's all we need, is someone with "Oprah money" to make half of us overjoyed and the other half miserable...I enjoyed the boards' speculation that Charlie Sheen bought Avengers #1 9.4 for $100,000. I hope it was someone else--I have flashbacks of that Simpson's episode where Krusty was using copies of Action Comics #1 to light his cigars.

I think prices will appreciate more. The trailer to the movie looks really good and the increased exposure can only help a character like Thor. If a movie seen by millions only pulls in 20 new high grade collectors and several hundred low/, mid grade collectors that would be huge for the books.

I started collecting back in the early eighties as a kid, and being a fan of Norse mythology made me gravitate towards Thor. The Walt Simonson run starting with #337 really shook up that title (I know, he did some art for Thor in the 200's somewhere).

I think we're all wondering how many new collectors will begin seeking to complete runs of JIM. Will it be similar to the run up of Iron Man following those films? Maybe.

I hope there will be a lot of new and renewed interest in JIM, but perversely, I hope it stays muted until *after* I complete my run :) That's all we need, is someone with "Oprah money" to make half of us overjoyed and the other half miserable...I enjoyed the boards' speculation that Charlie Sheen bought Avengers #1 9.4 for $100,000. I hope it was someone else--I have flashbacks of that Simpson's episode where Krusty was using copies of Action Comics #1 to light his cigars.

WTTB! A must-read for JIM fans is the write-up on the early days of Thor in OSPG #36... :headbang:

Bkvn55CGkKGrHqYH-DgEtHzoJtBLYzvSqEw_3.jpg

Of my JIMs 32 are 8.0, 10 are 8.5 and 2 are 9.0.

Amazing, nice work. :applause:

The incremental approach is the one that I took. I was fortunate to pick up most of the run before Thor really took off with the movie hype. In looking at the census, copies have been pouring in over the last year 7.0 and above. 90 is still difficult but about about a dozen high grade copies have been added to the census in the last year. The truly toughest books are 84 and 91. Both of those are very challenging.

After reviewing the recent and current census reports, I have to agree, acquiring 90 has gotten easier with the new additions to the census. 84, 90 & 91 are really hard to find in 9.0 and above.

VF/NM copies of 83 & 84 are out of reach for this year, anyway, so I decided to focus on 85 instead. I bid aggressively over the last few months for several 7.5 & 8.0 copies, but the owners wouldn't let them go, so I bought an 8.5 white pages copy today...In terms of census numbers, it doesn't look like there have been many additions since 2006 at or above that grade (a 9.0 certified a year ago sold for $5,500 according to the GPA).

Which makes me wonder. How many high grade copies are in the PGX census? Every time I go to check, the message is "The census application is in the process of being updated." So I sent them an email.

I helped the former owner make 150% profit on a copy he bought 3 years ago...He made a great investment :)

So adorable! I loved the Stan Lee photos later in the set, too. I'll spare everybody the inevitable photos of me playing with the Destroyer toy from the Burger King kids meals...

I was wondering yesterday what it would cost at current prices to complete a run of Journey Into Mystery #83-125 and Annual #1, with Thor #126 thrown in for good measure, with 83-83 in 8.5 condition, and the rest in 9.4. with a few straying into 9.6 and 9.2, since some of those 9.4s haven't come on the market in a Blue Moon...

The result: $137,881 (remove $2025 if you don't want Thor 126 in there), which does not count shipping or financing charges. There are a few copies coming up sale that I will bid on for tracking purposes, but I will sell my car, nor liquidate my Roth, or sell a kidney to pay for :) I know what you're thinking, I'm a quitter...

After all that's considerably less than a run of FF 1-102, Avengers 1-503, or the first 100 issues of Spidey...

I'm guessing the upcoming #83 8.5 Twin Cities pedigree auction at Heritage to fetch around $30,000 (http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7033&LotIdNo=50023), and 9.4 copies of 92 & 95 to go for at least $4000 each if they become available. There are some pedigree sales and white pages copies in that total as well, so I will readily grant you that this figure is a bit high.

So, a run averaging 9.2 or 9.0 would be *much* easier! I have to admire those of you that own, will own, or once owned a complete run. I'm confident that it took (or will take) years of effort.