• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

I can guess who's after that white pages copy of 91...I can only imagine what a frenzy would erupt if it were a 9.2 or 9.4 instead :)

I'm curious where the ow/w 8.0 copy of #83 will end up, price-wise. I'm jealous in advance...Perhaps I should be jealous of the sellers, given the timing of the auction one month from the movie premiere.

Edited by Misha

JIM 83 8.5, white; small amt of color touch and glue on spine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Journey-Into-Mystery-83-CGC-8-5-Purple-Label-/310308271075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483fd073e3

This is not my sale and just here for discussion purposes.

But lets say you were putting together a high grade run. This book seems to have the least amount of resto your going to find.

What do you think of this book in the run for a fraction of the price?

I have given it a lot of thought, and weighed whether or not it is worth filling out a run with restored books at a fraction of the cost, and I decided against it.

You've inspired me to start a new thread on the value of a PLOD.

Watching the marketplace, unrestored high grade silver age books are increasing in value, while the restored books with the dreaded Purple Label of Death tend to sit unsold, even when priced at a third or less of the FMV of the Blue label books.

Some of the Keys (like AF 15) still move, perhaps because the buyers cannot afford (or otherwise justify purchasing) an unrestored copy in the same grade, and just want a copy. The JIM 84 9.4 and the JIM 83 8.5 on eBay currently are considerably cheaper than their blue label brethren, but still too expensive for many collectors.

Ultimately, they aren't likely to appreciate in value at the same rate as the unrestored copies will, and in the big picture, buying restored books could encourage more restoration. Our hobby has enough trouble with restoration on raw books to pass them off as higher value unrestored copies. Concern over that possibility is a factor in why the encapsulated unrestored books demand such a premium in the marketplace.

(So no PLODs for my collection. I say let's continue to stigmatize Purple.)

Sharp corners on that copy of #111! My favorite cover is #108.

Rich and I have had that conversation regarding 108. It is also my favorite cover.

You can't go wrong with this cover!!

jim108m.jpg

Have it framed on the wall next to this book:

st12094.jpg

Yellow themed covers unite!! :headbang:

Rich and I have had that conversation regarding 108. It is also my favorite cover.

jim108m.jpg

st12094.jpg

Yellow is a tough cover to find, this one has Dr. Strange.

9.6 ASM 109

Or my raw ASM 121

asm121raw94front.jpg

My Thor 202 .....Had to cut it up for the frame ....

:cloud9:

IMG_1770.jpg[/img]

Speaking of getting #108 framed, I got the idea from Fantastic Thor to get some art framed next to the comic. I wouldn't want to cut up even reader copies, though...

Affording a page of original art is out of the question, but I bought the Splash page and page 2 production art transparencies--which I assume were used in the Journey Into Mystery Omnibus and Marvel Masterworks, since the original art was long gone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=270713341955&si=Rq19q%252F6W%252FPMYXX1Evsz6n7LBuQU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_8774wt_1141

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280640603156&si=Rq19q%252F6W%252FPMYXX1Evsz6n7LBuQU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_8784wt_1141

I envision placing the two transparencies next to the pages from 2 reader copies, and then placing my graded copy of 108 by itself in a 3rd column, archival mat boards and framed with UV glass. If I had not gone on a recent buying spree, I'd have this project done already, but I've shelved it for awhile. No rush, once done, I expect to have it for years to come.

jim108m.jpg

st12094.jpg

Yellow is a tough cover to find, this one has Dr. Strange.

9.6 ASM 109

Or my raw ASM 121

asm121raw94front.jpg

ASM #121 + 122 represent one of the greatest stories in all off comic history. And a classic yellow cover as well. Here's another sweet + yellow ST cover:

st117.jpg

My Thor 202 .....Had to cut it up for the frame ....

:cloud9:

IMG_1770.jpg[/img]

Speaking of getting #108 framed, I got the idea from Fantastic Thor to get some art framed next to the comic. I wouldn't want to cut up even reader copies, though...

Affording a page of original art is out of the question, but I bought the Splash page and page 2 production art transparencies--which I assume were used in the Journey Into Mystery Omnibus and Marvel Masterworks, since the original art was long gone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=270713341955&si=Rq19q%252F6W%252FPMYXX1Evsz6n7LBuQU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_8774wt_1141

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280640603156&si=Rq19q%252F6W%252FPMYXX1Evsz6n7LBuQU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_8784wt_1141

I envision placing the two transparencies next to the pages from 2 reader copies, and then placing my graded copy of 108 by itself in a 3rd column, archival mat boards and framed with UV glass. If I had not gone on a recent buying spree, I'd have this project done already, but I've shelved it for awhile. No rush, once done, I expect to have it for years to come.

You would be surprised how little later art costs.

I picked this up for $840 in 2008:

Thor476cover.jpg

Nice cover art! I wonder what the cover art for #118 would go for?

There are a few nice pieces of original art by Kirby up on Heritage right now, but looking at the final price history for similar pages relegates me to the role of a spectator.

I personally love Colletta on Kirby's Thor and I would LOVE to have that Olympus splash....even though there is no Thor. The JIM 118 cover art would probaby break 75K at least....and if memory serves....I believe it has a Giacoia ink job. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u