• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

#84 has always been a tough book. I passed on an 8.5 a couple of years ago (Korvac owns it now) and I wish I hadn't. It's one of those books that is truly irreplaceable in higher grades.

Just checked GPA and the Census...no recorded sales of any book above 8.5...only one book in 8.5 recorded sold in Feb of this year for $2746 ( :o seems like a deal!)...

BLUE LABEL CENSUS

2 in 9.4

1 in 9.2

2 in 9.0

5 in 8.5

8 in 8.0

Now that's a tough book!!

So congratulations are due to the winner of that book today, certainly. The buyer of that 8.5 white pages copy of 83 did well, too.

#84 has always been a tough book. I passed on an 8.5 a couple of years ago (Korvac owns it now) and I wish I hadn't. It's one of those books that is truly irreplaceable in higher grades.

Just checked GPA and the Census...no recorded sales of any book above 8.5...only one book in 8.5 recorded sold in Feb of this year for $2746 ( :o seems like a deal!)...

BLUE LABEL CENSUS

2 in 9.4

1 in 9.2

2 in 9.0

5 in 8.5

8 in 8.0

I listed my old 8.0 on Comiclink years ago at what I thought was a strong price (I think it was about $2100 or so) and someone BINd it within hours.

I found out just recently that it was a board member of ours.

Truly is an impossible book, especially with decent pages and white cover stock. Many copies seem to have tanning and darker pages.

Mine, mine, all mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mwahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

BTW, the Thor movie was excellent. I'm gonna go see it again in a few days. We Thor fans can be proud of a job well done!!! (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

These are my "reading copies." YUP, that's the golden record reprint. #117 & Annual #1 are in the best shape, but when the annual was trimmed by the printers, it tore 3 of the pages (one page has a fold at the tear that, when un-folded, actually extends outside the borders of the book... wonder what that does to the grade). I got all of these as part of a lot (except #117 and the annual) for around $45. Even in their condition I thought I did pretty well :grin:

comics001.jpg

comics002.jpg

comics003.jpg

comics004.jpg

comics005.jpg

These are my "reading copies." YUP, that's the golden record reprint. #117 & Annual #1 are in the best shape, but when the annual was trimmed by the printers, it tore 3 of the pages (one page has a fold at the tear that, when un-folded, actually extends outside the borders of the book... wonder what that does to the grade). I got all of these as part of a lot (except #117 and the annual) for around $45. Even in their condition I thought I did pretty well :grin:

comics001.jpg

comics002.jpg

comics003.jpg

comics004.jpg

comics005.jpg

Nice grouping! :headbang:

Latest additions to my set...felt obligated to rescue these from the nefarious hands of cdpaoli/bijoubaby...

JIM 86 check out that spine...and colors! :headbang:

JOURNEYINTOMYSTERY86CGC90TW.jpg

JIM86FC.jpg

JIM 93 Old Label Purpleness... :cloud9:

JOURNEYINTOMYSTERY93CGC90POWW.jpg

JIM93FC.jpg

BLUE LABEL CENSUS

2 in 9.4

1 in 9.2

2 in 9.0

5 in 8.5

8 in 8.0

I listed my old 8.0 on Comiclink years ago at what I thought was a strong price (I think it was about $2100 or so) and someone BINd it within hours.

I found out just recently that it was a board member of ours.

Truly is an impossible book, especially with decent pages and white cover stock. Many copies seem to have tanning and darker pages.

Did anyone notice the Plod 9.4 Journey Into Mystery #84 on eBay still hasn't received any offers (original list price $5000) so they've lowered it down to $4000? If the restoration could be removed, it might have sold some time ago, but that married cover kills the dream of possible conversion to a high grade Blue label...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Journey-Into-Mystery-84-CGC-9-4-Purple-Label-/310308271663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483fd0762f#ht_1495wt_1141

Putting together a pre-hero set of Journey Into Mystery would be a real labor of love. My hat's off to those collectors.

I had a nice 50-82 run (from zzutak!) that I've since busted up... :cry:

Kept my handful of favorite covers though...

Well, the JIM section of the May Comiclink auction is over at last.

Strong results, particularly for Journey Into Mystery #83:

9.0 ow/w: $52,102 (last sale: $39,500 in March, highest sale: $42,055 3/2/11)

5.5 ow/w (Marvel chipping): $3,433 (strong price, last sale $2,599 in March)

5.0 ow/w $3,200, most recent sale eBay ow/w 5/9/11 $3,200, highest sale $3450 also in May)

4.0 ow/w $2,701 (strong price, given that 4.5s go for around $2,100)

Only $25,250 for the 9.6 JIM 85. I'm not objective about that one. I bid early and often, but I stopped at $24,750...I get to keep my Roth IRA intact :insane:

Congratulations to the winners!

You could say that I've been on a mission...

Now will those results shake loose more high grade copies into the marketplace?

As for research, you should see one of the most recent posts on the Showcase #22 thread, it is very detailed, in some cases even down to which boardie owns which copy!