• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

Nice books, all! The 84 is very appealling for the grade.

Nice additions Michael! :headbang:

Thanks Tom. Not quite the additions that you have made, but I do what I can. Here's a few more.

P1340803.jpg

Really thought this one was going to go a point higher...

P1340802.jpg

P1340801.jpg

And the best 84 I've ever owned.

P1340800.jpg

Nice books, all! The 84 is very appealling for the grade.

Nice additions Michael! :headbang:

Thanks Tom. Not quite the additions that you have made, but I do what I can. Here's a few more.

P1340803.jpg

Really thought this one was going to go a point higher...

P1340802.jpg

P1340801.jpg

And the best 84 I've ever owned.

P1340800.jpg

84 is so tough! Very nice FN copy! The 95 is KILLER and one of my all-time fave covers...as you know! Keep it real my Thor Brotha! :headbang:

JIM 85 for page 85 of the thread...

JOURNEYINTOMYSTERY85NM--3.jpg

Good Lord! Is that your copy?

Yes it is my copy...don't get TOO excited...it's a trim job all 3 sides...but it's so freaking beautiful in hand I just have to keep it... ( :gossip: and keep it out of bijoubaby's and robojo's hands... :insane: )

:headbang:

JIM 85 for page 85 of the thread...

JOURNEYINTOMYSTERY85NM--3.jpg

Good Lord! Is that your copy?

Yes it is my copy...don't get TOO excited...it's a trim job all 3 sides...but it's so freaking beautiful in hand I just have to keep it... ( :gossip: and keep it out of bijoubaby's and robojo's hands... :insane: )

:headbang:

Still gorgeous! But you're right, that book is dangerous in the wrong hands.

When I saw that copy of JIM #85 I was glad I wasn't drinking tea at the moment, as I would have likely spit it all over my laptop...Trimmed on all 3 sides, huh?

Once again, I have to applaud you for keeping copies like this out of bijoubaby's and robojo's hands.

Despite at least one report to eBay (cough), bijou's still marketing the 9.2 with color touch as a "Journey Into Mystery #85 Vol 1 Grade 9.6 No Reserve!"

:frustrated: Entreaties made to him to mail in the label to the CGC to maintain the accuracy of the census have fallen on deaf ears. Impossible! Sigh...

Anyway, happy thoughts. Those are some sweet books, y'all!

So who has a sweet copy of #86 for us to fawn over?

UPDATE: The restored 9.2 sold for $960 + $5.95 s/h on 6/23/11...Restoration removal candidate, there. I hope the label gets sent in...

Edited by MCJ

While we're trotting out the PLODs...

This is just a stunning copy in hand...the colors are amazing!

JOURNEYINTOMYSTERY86CGC90TW.jpg

JIM86FC.jpg

That is criminal that someone would trim that book. It was high-grade before the trim almost certainly. So for a .5 or so, someone forever alters that book and potentially places a book out there that could easily screw someone. Without our trusty caretaker Tom keeping it out of circulation, of course... Beautiful book Tom, one of the ones I desperately need an upgrade for.

Remember the 9.6 white pages copy of #85 that sold for $25,250 in ComicLink's May focused auction? (How can I forget? Underbidder is becoming my middle name...)

A 9.4 white pages copy recently sold at Pristine Comics' site for $16,500, down from the $20K the last copy sold for from Pedigree. The change at the top of the census making its' presence felt, perhaps?

JIM #85 CGC 9.4 white

This irks me, because Pristine Comics is practically in my back yard, and I didn't know Darren had it for sale :frustrated: I didn't see the result in GPA, so he either doesn't report to it :baiting: --or it just happened.

I just let my GPA subscription lapse, can someone check to see if this sale shows up?

Congrats to the new owner, I'm jealous...

I’ve begun to get discouraged in my grail quest... If anything, my attempts to acquire higher grade Journey Into Mystery reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, in that instead of a horse to ride, I just have two coconut shells to clip clop together, like the poor squire on the left:

brave-sir-robin-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-591201_1008_566.jpg

No one needs another FDQ to complain when they lose in an auction, am I right?

I’ve decided to limit myself to just 2 books to bid on for the rest of the year. One of which I’ve already placed what I consider to be a significant leading bid, and the other coming up for auction soon. If I lose one or both, I won’t complain, just place myself in a cooling off period. You can guess which two books I'm talking about... hm

Collecting JIM and SA Thor is rather competitive, I've discovered. Life would be much easier if I were collecting Millie the Model instead... :insane: