• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,862 posts in this topic

A recent CL purchase.

JIM116CGC80.jpg

I wouldn't normally go after a relatively common book with a bottom miswrap but I liked the idea of a pedigree book where I knew the name of the original collector.

Perhaps, as with a lot of collectors who began first collecting in the late 60s and early 70s, I used to imagine what it would have been like to have started collecting just five years sooner in the early 60s. This type of pedigree, with a name on the front cover, provides that sort of link to the past.

WinnipegCOAJIM116.jpg

This is the book broken out of its tomb. The scan (or computer screen) doesn't do the colours or cover-gloss justice.

JIM116FMay65.jpg

The artwork by Kirby is on a grand scale.

JIM116Interior1.jpg

This splash to Tales of Asgard is impressive. Colletta is certainly not everyone's cup of tea but he provided a unique "surface" to Kirby's pencils and contributed an additional element of the "epic" in Kirby's work for JIM.

JIM116Interior2.jpg

I think we need to post the Heritage scan.

JIM123OA.jpg

And Tom's copy again to compare. (thumbs u

RAD48EAA201061_93734.jpg

That OA is awesome! I doth coveteth! :headbang:

Wonder if a version exists with the 4 face drop-ins/overlay??

When one views the original art, you can see the need for overlays. I am not much of a "floating head" fan in cover design, but I can see that without the heads, there is no connection to the story within. I can understand Stan's decision.

I love all those JIM covers, but #114 is my favourite, anyone got a nice copy to post?

Asketh, and ye shall receiveth:

Massachusetts pedigree

JIM114.jpg

I love all those JIM covers, but #114 is my favourite, anyone got a nice copy to post?

Massachusetts pedigree

JIM114.jpg

Thanks namisgr, If ony I had a few grand spare. :cloud9:

Massachusetts pedigree

Thanks namisgr, If ony I had a few grand spare. :cloud9:

The current high bid is only $750. Not only that, but I'm betting the book winds up a few months from now in a 9.6 holder. :baiting: