• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead #1 Question my LCS can't answer???????????????

28 posts in this topic

I now have two copies of The Walking Dead #1. I have been trying to get the second copy for a while but finally got it!! You might say it is not that hard to find those for sale but I was looking for a certain version. On the cover, in the upper right corner, it has the words Mature Audience on it. One version, the one I got first and the one I see more often has those words printed in white. The other version has those same words printed in black. Why the difference? And does it have any significance other than the personal pleasure of haveing both copies? My LCS was unable to find anything out about it and chocks it up to two different printing facilities being utilized for the printing of issue #1. If anyone knows the real reason it would be cool to know. Thanks!

I now have two copies of The Walking Dead #1. I have been trying to get the second copy for a while but finally got it!! You might say it is not that hard to find those for sale but I was looking for a certain version. On the cover, in the upper right corner, it has the words Mature Audience on it. One version, the one I got first and the one I see more often has those words printed in white. The other version has those same words printed in black. Why the difference? And does it have any significance other than the personal pleasure of haveing both copies? My LCS was unable to find anything out about it and chocks it up to two different printing facilities being utilized for the printing of issue #1. If anyone knows the real reason it would be cool to know. Thanks!

I actually have both myself as well (thumbs u

It was discussed in the Walking Dead thread I started, but I'm pretty sure there are two versions because the "black" version is too hard to see, and the "white" stands out better, so it was changed after initial printings.

It is my opinion that the "black" may be the true first printing hm

Either way, they are valued the same, and no one on ebay seems to differentiate between the two versions.

Congrats on the pick-up though, I'm glad I'm not the only wacko that NEEDED to have both in their collection :insane:

I am glad to hear I am not alone in my pursuit as well. I will say the black lettering version is harder to find on EBay, although right now there is a graded 9.8 one up there but it is getting close to $200. I am tempted but am holding back. My white lettered version is CGCed 9.8 so the urge is there for sure.

Is there any way to ask Image about it?

I am glad to hear I am not alone in my pursuit as well. I will say the black lettering version is harder to find on EBay, although right now there is a graded 9.8 one up there but it is getting close to $200. I am tempted but am holding back. My white lettered version is CGCed 9.8 so the urge is there for sure.

I've had both the "black" and "white" in CGC 9.8,

but settled on this copy currently for the "black" :luhv:

th_wd1ss98.jpg

And this copy for the "white" :cloud9:

th_wd1ss941.jpg

There is no way to ask image about it that I am aware of.....sorry....

Now you guys make me want to move 30 boxes to find out which copy i have! :P

:popcorn:

God i looked at it earlier and i've already forgotten which one it was. Maybe i should change my name to Anfield Gold Fish doh!

Oh well, black, white, what's the difference! NM+ :cloud9:

Go to the Image Forums. Kirkman posts there pretty regularly. He could probably tell you.

Unfortunately, I posted that very same question on the Kirkman board once before, and he never chimed in on the subject.

No one else new the answer for sure either, but it couldn't hurt to try again though :grin:

There is a WD 1 black on ebay now for $300; I have wanted to acquire a copy, but that is too rich for me. Is the book really that scarce?

Well, from personal experience, I had more trouble finding the black one than the white. With that being said, a lot of people don't even know there is a difference, so you should be able to pick up a raw/CGC'd copy for the same going rate that the white version fetches. I hope that helps....

Oh, and I think you can do lots better than $300 for a CGC 9.8 copy....

lately the auctions have been finishing between $215-$250 (regardless of black or white warning) (thumbs u