• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead #1 Question my LCS can't answer???????????????

28 posts in this topic

When I bought my CGC'ed 9.8 with the white lettering I paid $200 plus shipping for it. The black lettering one I just bought is not CGC'ed and cost me $82. If it is in as good condition as described then I will have it CGC'ed on my own. Otherwise I will just mylar it in my collection. I have found that alot of people's ideas of NM/M on EBay is not really NM/M. I have been pretty lucky though for the most part, I tend to look at how much feedback a seller has and if they sell comics alot or are willing to provide plenty of pictures.

So I agree with Evil Ash on this one, you can find it for less than $300. I know the copy you are talking about, it has been on EBay for months and was listed as high as $375 at one point. I sometimes ask sellers if they would consider a layaway or payment plan for books I really really want but are higher than I can afford in one lump sum. Just make sure you trust the person you are dealing with.

I watched EBay for a while looking for the black version and finally got it. Sometimes it just takes patience or catching the right auction at the right time. I got a buddy of mine hooked on WD and as a surprise for him I got him an ungraded one that is in beautiful condition, he won't let me send it in for grading, he prefers it ungraded, he wants to have it framed properly with UV protection. So, if you really want on you can get them without selling your firstborn for it.

There is a WD 1 black on ebay now for $300; I have wanted to acquire a copy, but that is too rich for me. Is the book really that scarce?

Well, from personal experience, I had more trouble finding the black one than the white. With that being said, a lot of people don't even know there is a difference, so you should be able to pick up a raw/CGC'd copy for the same going rate that the white version fetches. I hope that helps....

Oh, and I think you can do lots better than $300 for a CGC 9.8 copy....

lately the auctions have been finishing between $215-$250 (regardless of black or white warning) (thumbs u

Since Wizard highlighted the book a few months ago, it drew my attention to it, but it has been elusive, especially with the guide so low, and I have had a lot of trouble buying raw books and getting the book in several grades lower than that represented.

I have the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to the Image message boards and proposed the question but was receiving no answer there either so I sent a private message to Robert Kirkman through the boards. This morning I received an email letting me know he had answered. So with further ado, here it is, in Kirkman's own words......

The black one was first, and there's more of them, maybe 7000 or so.

Half way through the print run, the mature readers thing was corrected, it should have been white with a black drop shadow. I'd say about 3000 or so of those exist.

-Robert

Excellent! Thanks so much for the info, straight from the man himself! I figured the black one was first, but would not have guessed there are more of them out there than the white.... Just looking at ebay, the white definitely seems to be more plentiful (shrug)

I agree, judging by the auctions you would think that it was the other way around with the print run. It makes you wonder if the initial run was picked up and read before people started deciding how good the series was going to be and when they did start buying copies to save the white ones were what was on the shelves by then. That's just one possible theory....