• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Show Signature Request Etiquette

21 posts in this topic

Well, I am going to my first Comic Convention in Tampa Sunday the 19th and had a quick question on etiquette. I was wondering what is an acceptable number of books to approach an artist/writer with for signatures.

I am not talking about anything excessive here. I think the most books I have from anyone attending is about 5. I just don't want to look like a spoon.

Hey any other advice / lessons learned you can give for a first time attendee (albeit at a small show) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and glad to be a part of the boards

I doubt anyone signing would take offense at 5 books, except maybe McFarlane who acts like an about signing things.

I am sure that Mcfarlane has done enough signings to develop love/hate for his fans. A shame really but cmon the guy has so many fans who want everything signed can you blame him? Take me for instance, I want my entire run of ASM x2 and Spiderman and Spawn signed by him :insane: but so do the rest of us losers eh? lol I really wish he'd do more comic drawing and comic cons :(

My take...

If you feel uncomfortable with the amount of books, the creator will also. If you have all 5 books ready to go, it shouldnt be a problem. What I mean by that, is take them out of the bags and boards and have them ready to be signed. I have been in many lines where I often see the people in line more mad about people who want their entire run signed by a creator, example John Cassaday. All the people ahead of me were getting everything Astonishing signed, every cover, every variant, the HCs, statues etc. John was so busy chatting with each and every person he didnt care, and was nice about making room to let the silver sharpies dry.

I often thing the bigger the creator, the bigger the line the more problems you can have. 5 books by 1 person is usually not a problem though, unless as Pirate said they give you a limit (usually someone managing a booth more than the creator himself)

I doubt anyone signing would take offense at 5 books, except maybe McFarlane who acts like an about signing things.

At SDCC they had STRICT 2 item limit for McFarlane. He was whining to one of the booth workers about not having the right type of marker while hardly making eye contact with many of the people who had been in line for hours.

Maybe todd is different with me but he has never acted like a spoon about signing books for me even a large number of books. I don't think I have ever had todd sign less than 5 at a time. but you have to be cool with him and ask if it is OK. If you show him respect he will show you the same respect.

lol Ditko will probably smile back and sign 5 lol

I wish ditko would smile and sign 5. I wish ditko would sign 1. I don't think we will ever see a book with a modern ditko signature.

:( me niether.....

hm

What do you consider "modern"?

At SDCC they had STRICT 2 item limit for McFarlane. He was whining to one of the booth workers about not having the right type of marker while hardly making eye contact with many of the people who had been in line for hours.

Todd had a giant line that is true. and todd like certain colors on certain books because certain colors look best on certain books. He has always been particular about what color he signs in. As for the limit I saw todd sign 3 books for some people. Todd is not a bad guy he is just busy and all those people at the signing were from todds company and todd pays their salary so if he is upset about a color it is probably there job to fix it. Aparently everybody else has met a different todd than the todd I have met. Because the todd I have met talks to fans and takes pictures and do more for his fans if time allows.

Todd had a giant line that is true. and todd like certain colors on certain books because certain colors look best on certain books. He has always been particular about what color he signs in. As for the limit I saw todd sign 3 books for some people. Todd is not a bad guy he is just busy and all those people at the signing were from todds company and todd pays their salary so if he is upset about a color it is probably there job to fix it. Aparently everybody else has met a different todd than the todd I have met. Because the todd I have met talks to fans and takes pictures and do more for his fans if time allows.

I met him once in Tulsa around '94. We were herded like cattle and I don't think he even looked up from signing to say hi. Again, there was a huge line and I think we could only get two or three items signed.

Well, rereading what I wrote, I guess "whining" would be too negative of a word to use. It was just a shame that the main memory I'll have is him scolding his worker over his dried marker. I'm young, I was 'growing up' in the 90s and my reading of comic books was centered around his Spider-Man and Spawn books, and to finally get to say hi to The Todd was something I was looking forward to.

Storytime..

Overall, it was amusing though. We had to line up hours before and draw raffle tickets for a wristband... if you were unsuccessful you had to go to the end of the line and try again. Eventually I got a wristband and of the 3 items I had brought selected the 2 to get signed. The guy in front of me had him sign the base of a two foot Spawn statue, so when he went to sign one of my books, the marker was no good. Funny part was that it died mid-signature and he had to use 3 pens to finish it (while managing to make it look normal), which meant he was discussing markers with his aide while it was my turn at the front of the line. He did actually look at me briefly, enough for me to thank him before he hurriedly grabbed the next person's items to sign.

:whistle:

Well, I am going to my first Comic Convention in Tampa Sunday the 19th and had a quick question on etiquette. I was wondering what is an acceptable number of books to approach an artist/writer with for signatures.

I am not talking about anything excessive here. I think the most books I have from anyone attending is about 5. I just don't want to look like a spoon.

Hey any other advice / lessons learned you can give for a first time attendee (albeit at a small show) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and glad to be a part of the boards

i've seen writers, more than artists go through large stacks of books. I remember seeing how quick Bendis was. Millar too. The only problem was that they didn't look where they were signing.

lol Ditko will probably smile back and sign 5 lol

I wish ditko would smile and sign 5. I wish ditko would sign 1. I don't think we will ever see a book with a modern ditko signature.

:( me niether.....

hm

What do you consider "modern"?

I would consider anything signed by ditko post 1985 to be a modern signature

Well thanks folks for your input. Just returned and cataloged everything and had a really great time. There seemed to be a great turnout and Herb Trimpe even commented what a surprise it was to see so many folks.

I kept to the 5 book limit and accumulated the following:

Mighty Avengers 1 CGC SS 9.8 Signed by Bendis / Cho (not there, but first CGC SS for me)

Herb Trimpe -

New Avengers - #9 Trimpe Variant

Incredible Hulk - 152, 190, 204, 393

Chuck Dixon -

Batman - 467, 469

The Silken Ghost - 1

Detective Comics - 654

Alex Saviuk -

Web of Spider-Man - 62, 89, 90, 92

Fallen Son #3 Blank Cover - Original Sketch Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man - #296

Gary Friedrich -

Ghost Rider - #3 (Son of Satan)

Incredible Hulk - 152 (Co-signed with Trimpe)

Captain America - #144

John Beatty -

Fallen Son #3 Blank Cover - Original Sketch Captain America

Captain America - 283, 286

Robert Rhine -

Maniacal Smile - #1

Jim Fern (Probably the nicest gentleman there)

Amazing Spider-Man - #286

Detective Comics - 635, 636, 637

Thanks Again!

Well thanks folks for your input. Just returned and cataloged everything and had a really great time. There seemed to be a great turnout and Herb Trimpe even commented what a surprise it was to see so many folks.

I kept to the 5 book limit and accumulated the following:

Mighty Avengers 1 CGC SS 9.8 Signed by Bendis / Cho (not there, but first CGC SS for me)

Herb Trimpe -

New Avengers - #9 Trimpe Variant

Incredible Hulk - 152, 190, 204, 393

Chuck Dixon -

Batman - 467, 469

The Silken Ghost - 1

Detective Comics - 654

Alex Saviuk -

Web of Spider-Man - 62, 89, 90, 92

Fallen Son #3 Blank Cover - Original Sketch Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man - #296

Gary Friedrich -

Ghost Rider - #3 (Son of Satan)

Incredible Hulk - 152 (Co-signed with Trimpe)

Captain America - #144

John Beatty -

Fallen Son #3 Blank Cover - Original Sketch Captain America

Captain America - 283, 286

Robert Rhine -

Maniacal Smile - #1

Jim Fern (Probably the nicest gentleman there)

Amazing Spider-Man - #286

Detective Comics - 635, 636, 637

Thanks Again!

I was there too...(Tall guy brown T-shirt)

I got me

Fallen Son Sketches By Trimpe,Fern,Beatty,Saviuk, and Scott Reed

Hulk 181 by Trimpe on CGC case, Wizard Ace #181 Signed,and Wolverine/hulk #1 Signed.

I also got a bunch of Captain America Books by Beatty

But by far the coolest thing was getting Herb to do a Full Body hulk sketch on mu astonishing X-men #17 variant with the caption " You better shake-You wimp with the girly nails"

Here is a link to the pics

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/par2ch/album?.dir=a6eere2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/par2ch/my_photos