• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else only collect old blue label CGC books (if graded)

66 posts in this topic

There's really no convincing evidence of old stricter than new, because it's never gone through any kind of rigorous, truly scientific test. The few people who have seen tons of old and new label CGC books can certainly form an opinion with the caveat being you can only see so much of the book well through a plastic case.

Also, the greater likelihood SCS with an old label book is definitely a concern to me.

That said, I do have an opinion based on my submissions and the books I've seen over the years.

One, it is true that strictness appears to wax and wane at CGC, yet overall my opinion is that GA books during the old label period were more strictly graded and definitey PQ was harsher. How much so? Maybe 0.2 on the average. Although many books could easily realize a 1.0 jump if resubmitted. For SA I cannot tell and for CA/MA I cannot tell but am often puzzled by some grades.

Two, it seems logical that in time undergraded books will get resubmitted and emerge with higher grade. The longer a graded book is in circulation increases the likelihood it will get re-subbed. Thus, a greater percentage of old slabs have probably been resubmitted, more greatly diluting the population of undergraded old vs new slabs.

I completely agree and I made the same point in a similar past thread. Old label books are less desirable to me for a few reasons; SCS being one primarily. The other reason as stated above, since there is the popular myth that the old labels are undergraded, if the book is still sitting in an old label, it follows that it would have been resubbed if it was feasable it would receive a bump.

I have both old and new labels, and honestly, dont see much proof for me to claim that old were graded stricter then new (shrug)

My statements were based on my own experience. I submitted a bunch of killer books in the old label days, and almost everything I submitted came back a grade lower than expected.

Fast forward to after the new label got introduced. After I sold some of my old label books, including a 9.2 JLA 1, 9.2 JLA 7, 9.4 DD 2, and others, they were resubmitted by the respective buyers and almost uniformly got higher grades. Perhaps I just caught CGC on a number of bad days. Perhaps the resubbers caught CGC on lots of good days. Perhaps they got pressed, I don`t know. But I believed all of them legitimately deserved the higher grade even without pressing.

Similarly, after the introduction of the new label, CGC has rarely given the books that I`ve submitted a lower grade than I expected. And quite a few times a higher grade. Both Marvels and DCs. And no, I don`t think my grading has changed.

This whole books in the new label have been manipulated mentality is really getting old. I love how people love to generalize doh!

I don`t think new labels automatically means books have been manipulated. But the chances are probably higher. Perhaps it`s an unfair generalization, but it`s a bed that CGC has made for itself by allowing all this manipulation and inconsistency in grading to occur, so now they have to sleep in it.

Old label books are less desirable to me for a few reasons; SCS being one primarily. since there is the popular myth that the old labels are undergraded, if the book is still sitting in an old label, it follows that it would have been resubbed if it was feasable it would receive a bump.

I think SCS is something that is being a bit over played here. I own hundreds of CGC's, old and new label, and the best slab's I've come across...wait for it PGX.

But I'm digressing, CGC's slab's show no sign's of SCS after every single book undergoing a tranatlantic delivery.

And I have several books sitting in old slabs that are stunner's. But why go throught the hassle of a resub...only when I come to sell, at best, otherwise your only doing it for your benefit. And if you already suspect, know it would acheive a higher grade, why go through all the hassle and expense. The book is already protected in it's slab.

I don`t think new labels automatically means books have been manipulated. But the chances are probably higher. Perhaps it`s an unfair generalization, but it`s a bed that CGC has made for itself by allowing all this manipulation and inconsistency in grading to occur, so now they have to sleep in it.

Well said.

Well said.

But they're not the ones who have to deal with it. It's us that's always picking up the pieces...and the bill.

At the end of the day, reputation of the seller goes a long way. You buy from who you trust.

And when it's a slb thats been around the block abit...well own on your knees and pray is as good as anything else will do....sigh.

I have a few old slabbed books graded 9.2/9.4 with great grader notes. I may send in 1 or 2 just to see how they come back. If I decide to within the next 2 or so weeks I will update this thread to show all the outcome (overall grade AND PQ)