• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 181 page on the 'bay

41 posts in this topic

We might see a new record for a Daredevil panel page.

Link

Holy Ham Sandwiches, Batman! Thanks for the link. I had not yet caught this page.

So, let us continue this thread with the person who can come to the closest guess for the final hammer price, assuming that it can make it that far.

My guess? $7,500 because so few of these pages ever hit the market. This one in particular has DD fighting Bullseye. If it had Elektra, then watch out....

:whistle:

Ciao!

PRC

We might see a new record for a Daredevil panel page.

Link

Holy Ham Sandwiches, Batman! Thanks for the link. I had not yet caught this page.

So, let us continue this thread with the person who can come to the closest guess for the final hammer price, assuming that it can make it that far.

My guess? $7,500 because so few of these pages ever hit the market. This one in particular has DD fighting Bullseye. If it had Elektra, then watch out....

:whistle:

Ciao!

PRC

I am gonna aim higher...10,500-11,500k.

That's based on every great page Miller DD page of any significance I have been offered over the last 2 years has been over 10k and as much as 20k for the primest of examples. Being that it's Ebay, which seems to be a handicap to hi end pieces, I think that's about right.

Not that I thinking of shelling out that much for a page, it's just the quotes I have been hit with.

Chris

:gossip: That's almost all Janson. By the time of this issue Miller was doing little more than simple layouts and Janson was doing almost everything on the pages...thus not what Miller DD collectors really look for.

C

Did Miller do the cover for that one (100% FM that is) ...#189?

The good thing about the Miller DD run is that it is very affordable and easy to find in any grade. The pages though are another story huh?

The good thing about the Miller DD run is that it is very affordable and easy to find in any grade. The pages though are another story huh?

Miller Pencils Janson Inks on that one. Which is what people refer to when they talk about Miller art on DD.

The interiors were the pieces that I know of that Miller laid out and Janson finished penciling and inking...I had not heard of covers like that.

C

Miller Pencils Janson Inks on that one. Which is what people refer to when they talk about Miller art on DD.

The interiors were the pieces that I know of that Miller laid out and Janson finished penciling and inking...I had not heard of covers like that.

C

I am not sure I follow you regarding covers. For example, the cover in the Miller DD run with DD holding the axe: isn't that Miller layouts & Janson finishes like the nice 189 page on eBay?

C

I am not sure I follow you regarding covers. For example, the cover in the Miller DD run with DD holding the axe: isn't that Miller layouts & Janson finishes like the nice 189 page on eBay?

The cover to 193 is credited as Miller Pencils and Janson Inks, but I have never seen the original come up for sale that one come up for sale, so I have not seen any debate as to how much each artist did on that cover.

To simplify, as a general rule, people buy an artist's page and place value based on what he did on that page.

Neal Adams pencils AND inks pages are worth more than a similiar Neal and page given similar content.

More specifically, since we are talking simple layouts vs. full pencils:

Miller penciled pages (and covers) are worth far more than his laid out pages that Janson did all the heavy lifting on in DD.

Just like Kirby fully penciled silver age pages are worth 3-5 times what his laid out pages (TTA etc) are worth.

People buy signature art like this because of the combination of artist, character and storyline. If the artist did not do much on the page or not as much as some other pages it will be reflected in the price, sometimes dramatically.

Chris

BACK ISSUE #21 was devoted to the Miller/Janson collaboration on DD. You can read about it here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=105048

To summarize:

158-172 Tight Miller drawings (he also spots blacks), Janson inks.

172-185 Looser Miller pencils, Janson inks and spots blacks. 179 Janson starts coloring as well.

185-191 Miller layouts on small sheets of paper. Janson draws, inks and colors.

Felix

BACK ISSUE #21 was devoted to the Miller/Janson collaboration on DD. You can read about it here:

To summarize:

173-185 Looser Miller pencils, Janson inks and spots blacks. 179 Janson starts coloring as well.

Felix

Yes - pages from 158 - 172 do command a premium - thanks for the heads up!

To summarize:

173-185 Looser Miller pencils, Janson inks and spots blacks. 179 Janson starts coloring as well.

Felix

Yes - pages from 158 - 172 do command a premium - thanks for the heads up!

Yes, thanks for the brilliant article. It will be interesting to see the sales on pages from books like Death of E. 181 & death of Stick 189; books post 172. Also, Klaus J. and Lynn V. took Miller a long way...great team!

To summarize:

172-185 Looser Miller pencils, Janson inks and spots blacks. 179 Janson starts coloring as well.

Felix

This sounds about right, EXCEPT -

issue 191 - Frank Miller Pencils AND Terry Austin Inks.

Stunning book.

No disrespect to Janson who was born to ink Miller --

BUT Austin is a historically great inker, and he did wonders with Miller's pencils.

Not too many pages from DD 191 show up, but the last one I had heard about was either at or slightly under $10K.

- A

I'm always amazed at how much attribution effects the value of work. If the page is pencilled by Miller and inked by Jansan, it's worth 3x, but if Miller later says in an interview, he just did the breakdowns, it's only worth x, though it's still the exact same page asthetically and from a nostalgia point of view.

I'm always amazed at how much attribution effects the value of work. If the page is pencilled by Miller and inked by Jansan, it's worth 3x, but if Miller later says in an interview, he just did the breakdowns, it's only worth x, though it's still the exact same page asthetically and from a nostalgia point of view.

No doubt...the Miller example is one of the most extreme because his breakdowns and layouts were on small sheets of paper and not on the final original art. When you buy one of these pages you realize that Frank Miller never even touched it.

That goes far beyond the Kirby stick figures on some of those TTA issues, at least his pencil was on that board and he laid it out in his own hand.

C

That's awesome... I think my favorite issue of DD from 158-191 is #191 "Roulette". Of course the Elecktra/Bullseye issues are great too.Not sure if i'd wanna spend 20K+ on a panel page since Miller did alot of DD,I could get something better for that amount. It's cover and splash page money for what I'd be paying for a panel page by Miller.

That's awesome... I think my favorite issue of DD from 158-191 is #191 "Roulette". Of course the Elecktra/Bullseye issues are great too.Not sure if i'd wanna spend 20K+ on a panel page since Miller did alot of DD,I could get something better for that amount. It's cover and splash page money for what I'd be paying for a panel page by Miller.

Spend 1K and get the whole run in 9.6 or better!

This sounds about right, EXCEPT -

issue 191 - Frank Miller Pencils AND Terry Austin Inks.

Stunning book.

No disrespect to Janson who was born to ink Miller --

BUT Austin is a historically great inker, and he did wonders with Miller's pencils.

Yes, my bad, it was Austin on 191. A glaring error since, as you know, I'm a big admirer of what Austin brings to the table:thumbsup:

Not too many pages from DD 191 show up, but the last one I had heard about was either at or slightly under $10K.

- A

Well, here's one that sold for $3800 a few months ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330103598040

Good page, too. Originally sold by Albert Moy a couple of years ago for around $2500 if memory serves. I don't know of any page from that book that was sold in the $10K range...let's not get carried away here, false or exaggerated values does no one any good (well, except for the seller). And none of us wants to pay more than we have to! :wishluck: