• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 181 page on the 'bay

41 posts in this topic

That's awesome... I think my favorite issue of DD from 158-191 is #191 "Roulette". Of course the Elecktra/Bullseye issues are great too.Not sure if i'd wanna spend 20K+ on a panel page since Miller did alot of DD,I could get something better for that amount. It's cover and splash page money for what I'd be paying for a panel page by Miller.

The $10K-$20K figures mentioned earlier are what the asking prices were for those pages. I'm guessing that Chris and I were offered a few of the same pieces. To the best of my knowlege, nothing has traded hands for all cash at those figures (although a pair of key pages went for close to $20K combined, all cash, iirc). So it's just a phantom value at this point.

Whatever this page sells for will be a far more accurate benchmark.

This sounds about right, EXCEPT -

issue 191 - Frank Miller Pencils AND Terry Austin Inks.

Stunning book.

No disrespect to Janson who was born to ink Miller --

BUT Austin is a historically great inker, and he did wonders with Miller's pencils.

Yes, my bad, it was Austin on 191. A glaring error since, as you know, I'm a big admirer of what Austin brings to the table:thumbsup:

Not too many pages from DD 191 show up, but the last one I had heard about was either at or slightly under $10K.

- A

Well, here's one that sold for $3800 a few months ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330103598040

Good page, too. Originally sold by Albert Moy a couple of years ago for around $2500 if memory serves. I don't know of any page from that book that was sold in the $10K range...let's not get carried away here, false or exaggerated values does no one any good (well, except for the seller). And none of us wants to pay more than we have to! :wishluck:

N -

Good point and please let me clarify (although others appear to have had similar experiences). I had heard about people asking for $10K for a page from that book.

So you are right, I don't know whether it sold or not at that price.

Did not mean to mislead anyone and would have no reason to do so, as I have no such page to sell, and probably would not be in the market to sell if I did have such a page.

Best regards.

- A

To the best of my knowlege, nothing has traded hands for all cash at those figures (although a pair of key pages went for close to $20K combined, all cash, iirc).

I heard the same thing too. hm

Final tally: $9,652. And yes, record for a public sale of a Miller DD panel page. Strange as it sounds, the lower-than-predicted results feels like there's still some sanity in the marketplace. Nevermind that it's almost $10K for a panel page!:insane:

Of course, it's not like the winner can't afford it...

Eric Roberts won that page...It'll never see the light of day ever again. I knew it'd go to at least 10K,probably worth more than that. 12K-15K I'd say

Whos Eric Roberts?

Clem..

Eric Roberts won that page...It'll never see the light of day ever again. I knew it'd go to at least 10K,probably worth more than that. 12K-15K I'd say

Whos Eric Roberts?

Clem..

He's rich and doesn't sell anything.

Whos Eric Roberts?

Clem..

http://www.triksr4kids.com/?id=home

Hey thanks for that, i enjoyed looking at his collection , awesome. The ditko section was mind blowing, he even has the cover to Showcase 73!!!

Clem...

Kevin

Only half of that statement is true. He will sell an occassional item, usually not top-shelf stuff though.

S

To Kevin,

I have to agree and disagree with Spider9698 on his statement. It all depends on what you classify as top-shelf. About four years ago, Eric actually sold several pages through eBay under his de-mented moniker. I won two of those auctions from him, for I considered those pages definitely worthy enough to be in my collection. On one of the auctions that I won, Eric took a rather large loss in my mind. In his mind, it was probably peanuts. The page in question was a Starlin original artwork page (page 45) from MTIO Annual 2. He purchased this page 45 at the BIN price of US$1,500. BIN was brand new as eBay had just rolled it out. Two years later, for whatever reason, he decided to sell it without a reserve. I was astounded that it went for US$660 and change. Eric realized greater than a US$800 loss. For him, that is probably chump change when he can afford to buy Eastman's TMNT #1 entire original art for US$250,000, to buy the last page of original art to Giant Size X-Men 1 for US$25,000, and to buy his most recent win of original art from Daredevil 181.

Please do not read too much into the preceding paragraph. I met Eric at San Diego years ago, and he is very personable. He does not come across as haughty at all for the amount of money to that he has access. He has assembled an outstanding collection of original comic art. For sure, some pages will probably never come back to the marketplace, but I do not consider Eric's collection to be a black hole. With that being written, we will just have to wait and see when he may sell again.

Ciao!

PRC

;)

Hi Phil; I agree with you about Eric... or anyone else for that matter. He has even parted with a Romita Spider-man cover rather recently. We all of us tire of some pieces and I really don't think anyone can be truly considered a 'black hole'. Of course, you might have to wait awhile or tempt the person, but almost anything can be had out there.

On a side note, congrats on the pickup of the Marvel 2 in 1 page however long ago it was... if you ever want to make 100's of % on your money there give me a shout... I also have good trade! ;) Dan F.

Oh yeah! Forgot about that one. Then again, since he picked up the 43 cover there was no need to have two twice up Romita covers!!!

Eric has ALWAYS been a stand-up guy whenever we have chatted or emailed. Problem is I can never get him to part with anything that I want!!!

Oh yeah! Forgot about that one. Then again, since he picked up the 43 cover there was no need to have two twice up Romita covers!!!

Eric has ALWAYS been a stand-up guy whenever we have chatted or emailed. Problem is I can never get him to part with anything that I want!!!

S-

I believe that the ASM 85 cover was not twice up. If I remember the cover correctly, then it was pencilled and inked on modern size art board. hm There is definitely a price differential for Romita, Sr. ASM covers between the ealier issues (ASM 39-60) and the later issues (ASM 61 and beyond). Someone please correct me if ASM 60 was not the last LA ASM cover that Romita, Sr. did. I know that Anthony Snyder still has his ASM 59 LA cover available for sale on his website at an asking price of $100K.

:insane:

Ciao!

PRC

We all of us tire of some pieces and I really don't think anyone can be truly considered a 'black hole'. Of course, you might have to wait awhile or tempt the person, but almost anything can be had out there.

On a side note, congrats on the pickup of the Marvel 2 in 1 page however long ago it was... if you ever want to make 100's of % on your money there give me a shout... I also have good trade! ;) Dan F.

Dan,

Black Holes? While I am not being derogatory at all towards this individual, I have a 'black hole' for you. Stephen Fischler from Metropolis comes to mind, who is on this board. In fact, one of your pages from a bygone era is in his collection, the splash page to MTU 55. I have never known, or heard, of his selling or trading any covers, splashes, or interior pages from his pristine, museum-like collection. Moreover, his collection of Golden Age original art material is incredible on his website. I would love to have an opportunity to see his collection in person. Heck, we could start a whole new thread on the disposition of Stephen's collection. Should he ever become incapacitated, where does his collection go?

As a response to your side note, thank you. While I am not considering trading this page, it is nice to know that someone else out there values this page.

Ciao!

PRC

I didn't see any Romita sr art on his website, Eric has more stuff?

Wow, I am just in awe of these Super Collectors these days, especially if they have only been collecting 5 years or so. It takes that much extra $$$$ to start from scratch at todays prices but it sounds like that is what this guy has done.

so well done him.

Clem..