• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 18 cgc 9.4 QUALIFIED

28 posts in this topic

It means the cover does not belong with the actual contents.

Like if you take a coverless book and attach a cover onto it.

:golfclap:

See how helpful I am. All these tards who claim I don't contribute.

See how helpful I am. All these tards who claim I don't contribute.

(worship)

so how does one actually detect this?

You need to examine the interior pages and compare them to the cover. They should have the same wear markings. If not, then it may have a married cover.

You need to examine the interior pages and compare them to the cover. They should have the same wear markings. If not, then it may have a married cover.

:applause:

doh!

doh!
(shrug)

doh!
(shrug)
:makepoint:

doh!
(shrug)
:makepoint:
:whatev:

This book and several others in Mark's inventory have file copy covers. These were kept as oversized covers and neither machine-trimmed nor bound to an interior. Sometime later, they were hand-trimmed and stapled (married) to interiors. The covers are so fantastic in color preservation, cleanliness and edge quality that they are actually relatively easy to distinguish. They are completely free of blemishes and dirt, since they were never stacked and bound with other comics, and never offered on the newstand. Also, the spines have a visible fold mark along them, from before the cover was married and was kept folded and flat. They differ from the blue label Gaines file copies since the latter rolled off the presses as usual and then were put away to never circulate.

They don't sell for alot and some even derisively refer to them as Franken-books, but I think they are spectacular. Here's one that I own: the front and back covers are so pristine, that no other old book of mine resembles it. It doesn't hurt my opinion of the book that this issue is the most difficult Marvel Superhero book to find in ultra high grade.

JIM84tif.jpg

I sold the FF 21 CGC 9.4 (Q) about 3 years ago for $250. It was snatched up in the first hour listed as a BIN on ebay. (Cream to OW pages too)

I can't verify that it is the same thing going on as namisgr's JIM 84 but I agree that it was as clean and sharp a copy as I have ever seen.

Ed

what would you all rather have......a book with slight color touch, or a book with a married cover?

I'd like a married cover with color touch that's been pressed, undisclosed of course. (thumbs u