• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why was there a Hulk #1

27 posts in this topic

it's a recreation/concept cover, the pic of thor is actually from JIM 117. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, but was there ever an "original" based on this scenario slated for Hulk 7? The cover as presented is a re-do, but I assumed it was based on the projected concept work for Hulk 7?

Trouble with relying on stan is that he often tells different tales about the same thing.... I understand why Hulk was canceled-mediocre sales.

I agree with Stans story telling getting a little varied from one day to the next.

Case in point : Wizard #144 has a quote from Stan The Man that says that Hulk was cancelled because Jack Kirby was overloaded with his drawing duties. It was either Sgt. Fury or Hulk, and we all know where that went.

I cannot believe that I just used Wizard as a source. smirk.gif

I read the same thing regarding Stan's reasons why the Hulk didn't continue...Although I am not sure that it was in Wizard that I read it. Course, it doesn't matter where you read something quoted by Stan, his memory is horrible (as he freely admitted on many occasions) and like the points that were brought up, changes his story everytime he tells it...The old "fish gets bigger " everytime type of thing..

Great topic! thumbsup2.gif

Forced me to do a little research...

Are you sure they had 8 titles?

Millie the Model (romance)

Kid Colt (Western)

Tales to Astonish (Horror/Sci-Fi)

Strange Tales (ditto)

Tales of Suspense (ditto)

Journy into Mystery (ditto)

Amazing Adult Fantasy (ditto) (cancelled for Hulk) (Hulk cancelled for Spider-Man)

Fanatsic Four

That's eight...

When they added X-men and Avengers that went to 10.

Did I leave anything out (up to 1963)?

Marvel Mystery tales was cancelled in 1957(?).

That was to make room for Tales to Astonish I think...

What was cancelled in 1961 for FF...???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More research coming...

youre forgetting that many of the Marvel titles in the beginning were bimonthly. So with 8 distribution slots they still could publish 10 titles if 2 of them rotated months. There is that cool website I found here (but forget the url...) that shows each months Marvel titls month by month and has commentary about which bomonthlys were skipped for what other titles.

Also, that Hulk#7 looks like Trimpe, or his then Hulk inker from swipes by Buscema (Thor) and Trimpe pencils for the rest. It really look slike a "wish list" cover as what the next cover MIGHT have looked like...if it hadnt been cancelled, and drawn many years afterward.

Yes you are right.

X-men was Bi-monthly all the way through the 60s wasn't it?

And Kid Colt too?

I never bought a Millie. blush.gif

Weren't all the rest monthly by 1964?

By then Daredevil and Sgt. Fury were around too... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif