• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is "minor staple tear" defined?

5 posts in this topic

I just received a book that was listed as VG+... which from the front looked about right.

However, when I turned it over I see that the upper staple has two tears... one 1" and another at a 1/2". The lower staple has a slightly smaller (than 1/2") tear as well.

Would this be considered minor?

I'll try and get scans up in the other forum tonight or tomorrow morning, but I was just wondering since I recall "minor staple tear" being used for this grade range.

Ouch, I don't think that 1" is minor. To me minor is around a 1/4, 1/2 is pushing it.

Post some scans when you get time to see how the rest of the book grades.

Sorry bro

Ze-

I would consider 1/8" or less minor - and 1/8 would be pushing it. The erea around the staple is quite small so you have to gauge relative to the impacted area. I mean, an 1/8" tear on the edge of a book I would call minor. But that is too much for a minor staple tear, IMO. And 1/2" to 1"? Seriously major. More major than major. :(

I would consider 1/8" or less minor - and 1/8 would be pushing it. The erea around the staple is quite small so you have to gauge relative to the impacted area. I mean, an 1/8" tear on the edge of a book I would call minor. But that is too much for a minor staple tear, IMO. And 1/2" to 1"? Seriously major. More major than major. :(

Extreme. :sumo: As in cover barely attached. :grin: