• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Virgin getting ready to submit for the first time

29 posts in this topic

My... That was a interesting subject line wasn't it? devil.gif

Well, to the point!

I got my first bunch ready to go.

I plan to use Metro and get the 20% discount.

Just how does this work?

What is all the information I will need to fill out the invoice by following the link at ther site?

Do I mail my books to CGC with just the invoice or do I mail them to Metropolis and they send them to CGC?

Anything else I should know?

I suppose I could just follow the link and trail and error it but I'd hate to mess it up.

I'm sure it is a relatively simple procedure, but I'm always nervous the first time out at anything. crazy.gif

I would apperciate a walk-through answer like:

Step 1) Click on the link at Metro...

Step 2) .....

Step 3) .....

Step x) Get your books back! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Click on the link at Metro...it will automatically give you the discount and tell you the rest of what you need to know...where to mail your books, how to mail them, how to package them, etc, etc....They have all that built into the process. Then all you have to do is sit and wait to receive your books back from CGC.

One important thing I found though is when you package them up, if you send them registered mail, you can't use clear tape or even that brown plastic tape. You have to use this special brown paper-type tape with water-activated glue on the bottom. You have to put this stuff on every seam on the box, so they can stamp it and prove it wasn't tampered with. It is a pain in the , but it must be done for USPS regulations.

Click on the link at Metro...it will automatically give you the discount and tell you the rest of what you need to know...where to mail your books, how to mail them, how to package them, etc, etc....They have all that built into the process. Then all you have to do is sit and wait to receive your books back from CGC.

One important thing I found though is when you package them up, if you send them registered mail, you can't use clear tape or even that brown plastic tape. You have to use this special brown paper-type tape with water-activated glue on the bottom. You have to put this stuff on every seam on the box, so they can stamp it and prove it wasn't tampered with. It is a pain in the , but it must be done for USPS regulations.

Registered mail is a pain. You don't actually have to send them registered. It is quite expensive. If you are sending 10 or so, a Post Office Priority Mail box works fine if the books are well packed.

By the way, if you are sending a lot of books, check into FedEx. I was quite surprised to find FedEx cost half as much as the Post Office to send a short box of books to CGC.

Oh yeah, If you are using Heritage for their 20 percent discount, be prepared to print out 4 copies of your submission.

For each book you will need the publisher, month and year of publication, the issue number, title, and any pedigree information. I've found the best way to get that (other than just looking inside the book) is to use The Standard Catalog of Comic Books published by Krause. Each issue gets its own entry in the catalog. It makes it easy to get the publisher and month and year of publication.

Titles and volume numbers can be a little confusing. If you are not sure exactly how to list it, I suggest looking the CGC Census to see how they list the title.

If you have any questions, just call the people at CGC. They are quite helpful and friendly.

Good luck. smile.gif

And you don't send the books to Metropolis. You send it directly to CGC.

It really doesn't matter which dealer you use, just make sure you are getting a 20% discount. I know Metro and Heritage get 20%.

What is the dealers stake in letting customers (or non-customers) use their name and get a 20% discount?? And why is CGC willing to lose 20%? ALso, if you send a valuable book (20K or over the threshold that kicks their % rate into effect) do you get 20% off that, too??

And you don't send the books to Metropolis. You send it directly to CGC.

It really doesn't matter which dealer you use, just make sure you are getting a 20% discount. I know Metro and Heritage get 20%.

What is the dealers stake in letting customers (or non-customers) use their name and get a 20% discount?? And why is CGC willing to lose 20%? ALso, if you send a valuable book (20K or over the threshold that kicks their % rate into effect) do you get 20% off that, too??

I believe that CGC apparently gives the authorized dealers a portion of the fees based on the submissions from the various sites. I hear it is basically around the 20% mark so those who offer than much won't be make much. However, it is better answered by CGC or the dealers! flamed.gif

thanx, but Im even more confused. CGC takes 20% off, and then, in thanx to the dealers, gives them another piece of their fee?

I can understand CGC incentivising the dealers who were supposed to be the backbone of their business. Im still trying to understand why CGC would ket collectors who wont be power graders sneak in on the dealers discount rate.

thanx, but Im even more confused. CGC takes 20% off, and then, in thanx to the dealers, gives them another piece of their fee?

I can understand CGC incentivising the dealers who were supposed to be the backbone of their business. Im still trying to understand why CGC would ket collectors who wont be power graders sneak in on the dealers discount rate.

I think the dealers get a set percentage of the post fees. If they choose to pass on the discount to the people submitting through the site, CGC just rebates them the difference! Yeah..I think that this makes sense! tonofbricks.gif

Ahhh... The kiss on my thread! shocked.gif

I think I might wait until next week after the hurricane hits to send my books to Flordia.

I can just see my package being blown out to sea... 893frustrated.gif

No huge dollars books but:

Defenders 1 9.2/9.4(I hope)

Sgt. Fury 13(Cap America) 9.2/9.4(I hope)

With some other ASM non-key Bronze 9.4/9.6....

Well a 9.4 Sgt Fury 13 is nobody's bridesmaid... but, you're a cgc virgin so we'll see if you can grade wink.gif
893scratchchin-thumb.gif or will we see a bitter post once the books get returned? devil.gif

I got it years ago.

Glossy, wonderful book.

Small rub mark on the spine and a date stamp back cover.

Probably a 9.2 but I can hope... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ok here is a scan.

It's real nice...

I'm thinking 9.4 stronger now! grin.gif

Only one 9.6 and GP has $800-$2500 for 9.4s!?!?

What the heck kind of price range is that? 893whatthe.gif

Edit: Not the best QP with that underwrap. juggle.gif

261091-SGTF13.jpg.054838d83499d6be02f61315c1f8edfe.jpg

[i think the dealers get a set percentage of the post fees. If they choose to pass on the discount to the people submitting through the site, CGC just rebates them the difference! Yeah..I think that this makes sense! tonofbricks.gif

I asked this of Steve awhile back and that's apparently the deal. I think there's something else lurking in there, such as quantity discounts (our subs are added to Metros for calculation) or some preferential grading times (I absolutely, positively must have this ASM overnight) the more subs you collect.

Gotta be some extra perks due to volume, otherwise no one would just give up their entire 20%.

I asked this question in the Ask CGC thread or somewhere but if there was a response I missed it -- doesn't CGC offer any sort of confirmation that the submission has been received? A phone call? An e-mail? A letter?

I think I asked that question as a followup to a January 2003-ish post that asked about the e-mail confirmation and there was a CGC reply that they had stopped doing the e-mail confirmations due to the amount of effort required. Sounded lame to me, and I wanted to find out if that remained their current practice.

So, do they just go off into a black hole until they get returned to you? Do you call them once a week or so to inquire if they've received them and when they'll be graded? Some of you have stated that you know the grades in advance of receiving the books back, how did you properly time that inquiry to get the info, just through repeat dialing? smile.gif

confused.gif