• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Virgin getting ready to submit for the first time

29 posts in this topic

The CGC website gives you a rough estimate of turnaround times...so if you call 1-888-NM-COMIC around that time they will be glad to tell you the status of your books...

As far as CGC acknowledging reciept of your books...you are better off sending the books using some form of tracking so that you can check the status on the web...Once you notice that they have been recieved just call CGC to confirm this... thumbsup2.gif

The CGC website gives you a rough estimate of turnaround times...so if you call 1-888-NM-COMIC around that time they will be glad to tell you the status of your books...

As far as CGC acknowledging reciept of your books...you are better off sending the books using some form of tracking so that you can check the status on the web...Once you notice that they have been recieved just call CGC to confirm this... thumbsup2.gif

Right, that is a reasonable idea to make contact at around the right timeframe based on the turnaround times.

Seems to me it would be less hassle for CGC to send a routine receipt notification rather than fielding phone inquiries though. But apparently they don't have that same opinion!

I sent them a batch and just used Certified mail. Someone has to sign for it (a requirement so that I get a high enough value on my insurance coverage), but I didn't opt for the return of the receipt to me. If I want the info, I have to ask the USPS to find out who signed for it. Guess I shoulda paid another buck or whatever for the return of the receipt. Would have done that if I had known CGC didn't routinely confirm receipt of a package. 893frustrated.gif

[i think the dealers get a set percentage of the post fees. If they choose to pass on the discount to the people submitting through the site, CGC just rebates them the difference! Yeah..I think that this makes sense! tonofbricks.gif

I asked this of Steve awhile back and that's apparently the deal. I think there's something else lurking in there, such as quantity discounts (our subs are added to Metros for calculation) or some preferential grading times (I absolutely, positively must have this ASM overnight) the more subs you collect.

Gotta be some extra perks due to volume, otherwise no one would just give up their entire 20%.

There might be some extra perks for their top dealers that I'm not aware of, but I think most of them just get the 20 percent off. If the dealer offers the full 20 percent off it can be just a 'good will' type thing to draw people to their website. Once the software is in place, the dealer doesn't have to 'do' anything for submissions made through their site, so it really doesn't cost them anything. The results go straight to CGC and the paperwork gets printed out back on the customers computer.

OK, that would work. Except for non-CC methods of payment like checks.

In that case, check your bank book statement. foreheadslap.gif

Check clearing is pretty slow. Rather than waiting for it to be physically deposited and actually showing up that it has been paid from your account... would have been easier/better to call rather than waiting for that stuff to happen.

All of these end run approaches to figure out if CGC has received a shipment drive home the point that lack of notification of shipment receipt is a hole in CGC's "communication" with their customers. Their approach is entirely too passive on this, on notification that your comics are being returned to you, on providing the graders' notes, etc.

All of these end run approaches to figure out if CGC has received a shipment drive home the point that lack of notification of shipment receipt is a hole in CGC's "communication" with their customers. Their approach is entirely too passive on this, on notification that your comics are being returned to you, on providing the graders' notes, etc.

SGC (CGC's sister ball-card grading company) has an "On-Line Invoice Status". Not sure how it works, but as each CGC order is tracked by invoice number, it seems you should be able to look up when the books were logged in, when they were graded, when they were slabbed, when they were shipped, the grades(?), etc.,. (all the information that you can get over the phone by calling CGC directly). I'm sure an on-line system would save CGC a lot of phone calls...wonder how many they get per day asking "When am I going to get my books!?!?"? And it's not like they'd have to reinvent the wheel, they could just copy what SGC has done!