• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT am I the only one watch the UFC tonight?

173 posts in this topic

The UFC talent pool is growing rapidly, so hopefully we won't have to watch lazy fights from the likes of Cro-Cop and Arlovski. In the future, it will probably take one bad/lazy fight and they could find themselves out of the UFC.

Bisping DOES need to learn more effective combos. His LEFT hand is weak. No punching power at all. Hamill was wide open to a well timed left hook all night. I'd have rung him up. They both are not well polished yet. What Jackson did against Henderson is about the best you can do against him. You dont want to exchange with a guy who hits like Henderson and can eat blows to the jaw like cotton candy. Crocop is very tentative in the cage. He would destroy ALL of the UFC fighters in pride ring. Nog or Fedor will do what Crocop was supposed to. Not sure if Crocop can drop weight without losing effectiveness. He is very lean and muscular. He was lighter in weight early in his career but also less powerful. Maybe interesting. Henderson is a 185 lb'er so I expected him to lose and go after Franklin and Silva. I hope Gomi comes over as a 170lb fighter. We have lots of fights coming boys so sit back and enjoy. I have trained Thai kickboxing and MMA for years and have waited for this unification for a long time.

Congo landed at least 5 low blows by my count(over the course of 2 rounds) which would take the wind out of any man's sails. I also believe that the ax kick Congo delivered while he was on the ground may have broken ribs, or at least did enough damage to inhibit Mirko's breathing for the rest of the fight.

Cro Cop is not "done" in the UFC. He's fought at 205 before and, as JC said, dropping down may be his best option. Dana White wouldn't drop someone with Mirko Cro Cop's credentials at this point, but he does need to get himself together.

The Hamill/Bisping fight was B.S. Hamill pushed the pace and was taking down Bisping at will. I gave him the third round, but Hamill had the other 2.

Houston Alexander is a beast.

A couple questions for the UFC fans here....

Who looks to be the most marketable of UFC fighters right now?

Who out of the past two Ultimate Fighter seasons looks to be the best fighters?

Any thoughts on BJ Penn? I'm a big fan, but he has gotten a bit gassed in his past two fights and I wonder about his conditioning.

1) Chuck Liddell, Rich Franklin, Tito.

2) No one. Season 4 was a bunch of also-rans, while Season 5 was only for Lightweights.

2) No one. Season 4 was a bunch of also-rans, while Season 5 was only for Lightweights.

Tito lacks powerful strikes but is well conditioned. Would be in trouble against Jackson. Liddell has problems against smart and powerful strikers. He is still a very good counter striker. The best of these 3 at what he does. Franklin has some great tools but is not trained at all aspects of the game. He didnt know how to defend against the thai clinch for crying out loud! Basic thai kickboxing. Makes you wonder how much he really lacks. But he has great hands and conditioning. I suspect all 3 will have problems against pride fighters. In fact Franklin and Liddel have both lost in Japan before. Tito fights people he can beat. No guts no glory. The first season had the best fighters in ultimate fighter IMO. That being said Penn will probably always be the best rawly skilled fighter but he is not athletically gifted. I think George Saint Pierre is best young fighter who needs to be more aggressive. Fedor who is coming over from Pride is the best fighter period. Wandelei Silva will excite fans with his style along with Shogun as they are ultra aggressive. The may need to adjust to the cage tho. I also wait for Gomi, Kang and the rest of the 170-185 lb guys to come over. Good fights coming I'm telling guys just wait. They should have an Ultimate Fighter with all the Pride guys coming to get to know the fighters.

I disagree about Cro-Cop. The UFC is all about action and exciting fights. Cro-Cop, for whatever reason, is simply not striking. What's the point in pushing this guy? He looked brutal against Kongo.

I think he was fighting with broken ribs after the 1st round. I also wonder if his ankle is still giving him problems. He said he had 2 months of therapy on it after his last fight.

So we have some MMA guys in our hobby. Thats great. I have been training in MMA for 6 years now. Vhada Kempo, Krav Maga, training now in NYC with a guy named Charlie Cassius, 3 time kick boxing champ. I did one 3 round amateur fight in Rahway, NJ last year. Lot's of fun. Builds confidence. I think a noted OA collector/dealer from NJ is also into it.

Joe S.

(shrug)

Just remember that the original question was who are the most MARKETABLE fighters in the UFC today. Tito could lose 5 fights in a row and still fill the arena.

Tito lacks powerful strikes but is well conditioned. Would be in trouble against Jackson. Liddell has problems against smart and powerful strikers. He is still a very good counter striker. The best of these 3 at what he does. Franklin has some great tools but is not trained at all aspects of the game. He didnt know how to defend against the thai clinch for crying out loud! Basic thai kickboxing. Makes you wonder how much he really lacks. But he has great hands and conditioning. I suspect all 3 will have problems against pride fighters.

I am interested in seeing how Nate Diaz does in his next fight. He has great potential and I believe he trains in the Caesar Gracie school along with his brother Nick so his BJJ will only get better. I would love to see Nate get it on with that ego-maniac Karo and give him another knee to the chops ala Diego Sanchez (thumbs u :applause: I have never disliked an MMA fighter until I saw the way Karo carried himself on TUF. What a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed!

Couture is definitely a fan favorite and a big draw. I don't agree on Tito though. I think he's losing his cred. I'm not so sure that Dana White wants to push him anyway.

Rich Franklin?

Nate Diaz has potential. I'd love to see him smash Manny Gamburian and his cousin, Karo.

Tito lacks powerful strikes but is well conditioned. Would be in trouble against Jackson. Liddell has problems against smart and powerful strikers. He is still a very good counter striker. The best of these 3 at what he does. Franklin has some great tools but is not trained at all aspects of the game. He didnt know how to defend against the thai clinch for crying out loud! Basic thai kickboxing. Makes you wonder how much he really lacks. But he has great hands and conditioning. I suspect all 3 will have problems against pride fighters. In fact Franklin and Liddel have both lost in Japan before. Tito fights people he can beat. No guts no glory. The first season had the best fighters in ultimate fighter IMO. That being said Penn will probably always be the best rawly skilled fighter but he is not athletically gifted. I think George Saint Pierre is best young fighter who needs to be more aggressive. Fedor who is coming over from Pride is the best fighter period. Wandelei Silva will excite fans with his style along with Shogun as they are ultra aggressive. The may need to adjust to the cage tho. I also wait for Gomi, Kang and the rest of the 170-185 lb guys to come over. Good fights coming I'm telling guys just wait. They should have an Ultimate Fighter with all the Pride guys coming to get to know the fighters.

I agree Fedor is the best fighter in MMA. B J as someone alluded to needs to be in better shape but he did look good in his last fight. They had an interview with Rampage and he thought that Fedor and B J Penn was the best MMA fighters in the world.

I hope that BJ Penn can improve his stamina. If he can maintain his energy level over 3-5 rounds, I don't think anyone can beat him.

I won't doubt Randy Couture again. The guy keeps proving me wrong. He simply wrecked Gonzaga.