• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT am I the only one watch the UFC tonight?

173 posts in this topic

I think you might all be very surprised with how much better Franklin will perform against Silva this time around. Not saying he's going to win, but he won't go down in a heap, 2 minutes in.

When Franklin got pummeled, Silva was still an unknown quantity in the UFC, basically given a title shot on his Pride background and one fight with Chris Leben. Even pre-fight Franklin was cocky and didn't give the necessary respect, as I'm sure Franklin would have put the same kind of beating on Leben.

Now it's a little different, and everyone knows who Silva is and also, what strategies can potentially beat him. Travis Lutter took him down at will and had him beat easy... if only that idjit had made weight...

I think you might all be very surprised with how much better Franklin will perform against Silva this time around. Not saying he's going to win, but he won't go down in a heap, 2 minutes in.

When Franklin got pummeled, Silva was still an unknown quantity in the UFC, basically given a title shot on his Pride background and one fight with Chris Leben. Even pre-fight Franklin was cocky and didn't give the necessary respect, as I'm sure Franklin would have put the same kind of beating on Leben.

Now it's a little different, and everyone knows who Silva is and also, what strategies can potentially beat him. Travis Lutter took him down at will and had him beat easy... if only that idjit had made weight...

Agreed. Until that fight everyone was riding Frankin's jock pretty hard and then when he lost, all the nut-huggers jumped ship and started trash-talking him. Franklin is a top five 185-er and anyone that thinks the fight will be the same as the last time is lieing to themselves.

lol are you serious? Lutter didnt do anything after the takedowns. Silva did more work than him from the bottom. Anderson Silva has very good bjj I dont know what made people think otherwise. True 2 of his losses are by submission but only because he was overlooking his opponent. Lutter is a typical bjj guy with nothing else. Lucky for us he lost cuz he would make boring fights. BUT you are correct in Franklin should be better this time around. If there is an advantage for Franklin it is his strength. If he gets Silva on his back Rich may be able to do good things. Franklin needs to be more agressive and make Anderson go backwards. Mhuy thai guys love going forward its how we train. Take that away and make Anderson counter-strike and it is way eaiser than trying to defend a full array of combonations. I think this might go Franklin's way this time. Hopefully he has experienced trainers to tell him these things

[ lol are you serious? Lutter didnt do anything after the takedowns.

But that's my point. Lutter not cutting weight until the last minute killed him, and he had nothing left, even though he was physically taking Silva down at will.

If Lutter had a brain, and not been eating Big Macs until a day before the fight, he would have beat Silva easily. Not that I like him or wanted him champ, but he has the style and body type that gives Silva nightmares.

lol I like the point about big macs. I seriously doubt Lutter can make that weight without losing power. He is never in great shape but does have grappling muscle under the flab. All he needs to do is cross train more instead of rollin on the mats all day. Lutter wont be able to submit Silva. He is too short and a weak striker even from the mount. Pure bjj is only so effective nowadays. Dont automatically assume Lutter tired only due to improper cutting. Silva's body triangle helped speed that process along. It is an underestimated weapon. It is not hard to take Silva down he has decent takedown defense at best. He doesnt mind being on his back as most bjj guys will admit. If you want to see someone who would give Silva problems look no further than Dan Henderson. But enough talk lets see some fights! lol

What's the plan with the WEC? Will fighters "move up" to the UFC? If a guy like Uriah Faber continues to dominate, will he get a shot in the UFC? Right now, it seems to be a minor league with mainly young guys and then some older guys (Jens Pulver as an example) at the end of their careers.

What's the plan with the WEC? Will fighters "move up" to the UFC? If a guy like Uriah Faber continues to dominate, will he get a shot in the UFC? Right now, it seems to be a minor league with mainly young guys and then some older guys (Jens Pulver as an example) at the end of their careers.

I think eventually dominate fighters 155+ will move up to the UFC. I don't think the UFC has plans for a 145 pound division, so guys like Pulver are stuck.

Regardless, I find the show to be fascinating. It's interesting to pick out the ones who have real heart and can back up their talk. That fool Billy Miles looked like a blowhard to me. I doubted that he was anywhere near as good as his boasts. His opponent certainly proved that!

As for that Joey... I just can't believe that Matt Serra and Dana White pleading with him face-to-face wasn't enough to make him stay. He lost his shot in the UFC, lost his best friend, and lost his job. What a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I bet Matt Serra pushed to get him on the show in the first place.

Regardless, I find the show to be fascinating. It's interesting to pick out the ones who have real heart and can back up their talk. That fool Billy Miles looked like a blowhard to me. I doubted that he was anywhere near as good as his boasts. His opponent certainly proved that!

As for that Joey... I just can't believe that Matt Serra and Dana White pleading with him face-to-face wasn't enough to make him stay. He lost his shot in the UFC, lost his best friend, and lost his job. What a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I bet Matt Serra pushed to get him on the show in the first place.

What people dont realize is some of these guys have NO experience in the ring like that Joey. He was not used to losing and took it very hard. MOST people feel like absolute after losing their first fight and question their worth as a fighter. Matt Serra no doubt pulled strings to get him on the show. The thing is where do they get these guys? I have seen better fighters here in Hawaii than some of the losers on that show. I honestly think I could beat half of them. They look really inexperienced and just like muscle bound testosterone driven insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. When Dana White gets more skilled fighters like the guy Luke from season 2 I dont know altho Luke was a bit weird. Its hard because it is a tv show and they want it to entertain and not only produce fighters.